“Homo Horror” haunts Outfest

Discussion in 'General' started by Smartt, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Smartt

Smartt Guest

“Homo Horror” haunts Outfest

Outfest 2004, the 22nd Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Film Festival, has a “Homo Horror” series running as part of the festival, running July 8-19 at assorted LA venues. Among the screenings will be Paul Etheridge-Outzs’ HELLBENT, described as the first gay slasher movie, Friday, July 16 at 8:30 p.m.; David DeCoteau’s new chiller THE SISTERHOOD, about a seductive supernatural sorority, Thursday, July 15 at 8 p.m.; Sharon Ferranti’s lesbian-themed camping/slaughter movie MAKE A WISH Saturday, July 10 at 9:30 p.m.; a retrospective showing of Tony Scott’s cult classic THE HUNGER Saturday, July 17 at 8:30 p.m.; and a collection of short films called HORRORIFIC Tuesday, July 13 at 9:30 p.m. There will also be a special program called “Queer for Fear,” hosted by MONSTERS IN THE CLOSET author Harry M. Benshoff, Tuesday, July 13 at 7:15 p.m. This presentation will examine how horror cinema exposes straight society’s fear of outsiders and appeals to gay audiences’ identification with outcast creatures, including clips from the likes of THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, CAT PEOPLE, THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, DeCoteau’s THE BROTHERHOOD, etc. For ticket and location information, click on the site link above. HELLBENT will also be playing the Philadelphia Gay & Lesbian Film Festival July 26 and 27; see the movie’s site above for details. —Michael Gingold

2. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I kind of want to see Hellbent, but at the same time I don't want to at all. Sure I'd like to see the cast of Queer As Folk get butchered, but I would only watch if it happened immediately after the credits.

3. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

I'd like to see Hal Sparks get butchered... would be entertaining. :fire:

4. mcchrist

mcchrist A new breed of pervert!

What, no Curse of the Queerwolf? ;)

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Bump!!!

HELLBENT is playing up the street from me but I don't know if it's worth checking out. As a "gay" I find most of our movies to be just that: :gay:
    The fact that this hasn't been mentioned on here in about a year and a half doesn't exactly make me want to risk it. And how good can a slasher flick be without boobies? That's like a requirement or something, right???

6. Mattster

Mattster Guest

I actually enjoyed Hellbent a lot. I saw it several weeks ago and, while not all too bloody, was entertaining and bizarre enough.

7. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Hmm, I just watched the trailer for Hellbent and it actually looks good.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Well, I waited too long and missed it. Any word on when it'll be out on video???