10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Release: March 11, 2016

While not a sequel to Cloverfield (2008), this one has been called a "blood relative" to that film.

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Looks intersting

3. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

Unbreakable!

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

J.J. Abrams sure knows how to keep things a mystery, in his trailers, instead of giving it all away.
    The trailers for Cloverfield didn't show anything of the monster, except for the flash of one blurry frame or so.
    I wish everyone did trailers like this, instead of showing the entire movie in 3 minutes.

Wonder if the movie is set during the aftermath of the monster attack, or if it's a totally different thing.
    Can't wait to find out :D

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Definitely looks more watchable than Cloverfield. Awesome!

6. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

[​IMG]

They are doing a helluva job with the marketing for this film.

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I hope they can keep the "Something" a secret all the way to opening night.
    Probably have to stay off the internet close to the release, to avoid all the spoilers.

8. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Belatedly saw this last week and was rather disappointed, given all the hype and that it is rated 7.5+ on imdb.com (WTF??!) Not a bad film, just simply a little above average in my opinion. Will probably get it on blu in due course as I'm an obsessive genre collector but doubt I'll watch again more than once.

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I also caught it this weekend belatedly. It's no masterpiece, and I'd agree that it's above average, but for a series spin-off (even though it originally wasn't written as a Cloverfield movie, the end/last act was re-written to tie it in) it kept me engaged throughout. I thought John Goodman was exceptionally good and really brought a real sinister quality to his role. And despite the aforementioned tacked on ending, they surprisingly worked it into the original story rather well and I'm in for more for the series.

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Not a fan, it was surprisingly mediocre, at the end, my words were 'is that it', would be interested to find out what the original ending was supposed to be though.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Saw this the other night and didn't like it much. The actors were pretty good with what they had but I felt like the script was pretty lazy. There's all this hostility at the start but no one ever tries to explain the situation to the lead, instead it's all kept hush hush for absolutely no reason other than to get other plot points happening. Then you just sit there going "well if you would just sit down and explain things you could have avoided that...". Mid way through the lead actually gets to witness some outside weirdness yet never questions what it was all about and still wants out. A character also dies in such a stupid way; deciding to lie about something with a worse scenario leaving you wondering why they thought that was better to say than the truth. The tie in stuff felt really out of place for me also. I'm not getting the hype for this one.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    hots4 likes this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I thought the film was ok. Certainly the acting was well done but the movie wasn't what I was expecting. Not a film I would probably ever watch again.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. MorallySound

Personally I disagree and say the story (other than the Cloverfield tie-in) was actually anything but lazy, and was actually surprisingly well structured and restrained for a Hollywood film that didn't bash the audience over the head with laying everything out in plain sight/ahead of the characters discovering certain events. Everything you're questioning was there. For instance the situation was explained to the lead, in due time, and in keeping with John Goodman's character and motives. If it all had been explained and agreed to as soon as she woke up that would eliminate the suspense the film builds as well as destroying the characters' reasoning and motives and negate the rest of the movie. To also say the she never questioned what was happening outside during the
    first escape attempt
    isn't true as she was and is always inquisitive throughout the entire film, and when you're held against your will despite some truth to what seems to be going on outside, as explained before and after the event, there's still going to be a motive for escape and a hope that outside is not as bad as it appears. As to the death, that was clearly a
    sacrifice to keep the lead alive as they both knew/confirmed John killed "Megan" and was on to them as soon as the tub of acid was revealed, and that something bad was going to happen to one or both of them regardless. So Emmett decided, after telling his story of missing his bus in life, that this was his chance to make up for his fears in life and to sacrifice his own to offer Michelle the chance at another escape.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

blu-ray and dvd comes out june 14th

15. Zombie Dude

What you're telling me is they did those things to build suspense and further the story which was my complaint in the first place. It felt unnatural and nonsensical to keep so much from her when (whether he was a bad guy or not) he still wanted to keep her safe in the shelter.
    As for the death I never felt that that person knew he would meet that fate. Nothing felt sacrificial in that situation and I was never made to feel or care for that character enough emotionally so the scene just made me laugh out loud. Heck, even my girlfriend thought that character made a stupid choice. There was two of them and one of Goodman; teaming up to take him down shouldn't have been an issue since they seemed to have a lot of downtime to do other things behind his back.

16. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I need to watch this soon.

17. MorallySound

OK, but then you negate the fact that John Goodman's personal reasoning and motive to keep her safe in the shelter is because he's
    a nutjob loose cannon who packs a loaded gun and a knife who's trying to somehow fill his lost father and husband role (whose past abuses separated his wife and daughter from him - probably because he is clearly an abusive psychopath) by kidnapping young women, the first of which ("Megan") he murdered for also trying to get away from him.
    So he's supposed to spill this to Michelle when she wakes up and expect her to comply/stay?
    Emmett is also being abused/controlled by Howard but he also never questioned Howard since that's a character flaw of his so he just believed everything he said until Michelle is captured and taken in, which contributes is his awakening and pushes him to his sacrifice.

18. Zombie Dude

Obviously the nut job part would stay secret but he made himself seem super suspicious right off the bat by how vague he was. She views him as a kindnapper straight away and I felt like he made little effort to do anything about it after the first attack beside basically saying "that's bad, I feed you and look after you, don't act like that". To me that seemed odd and came across as lazy because it just prompts the the escape attempts rather than develop something more interesting.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They're saying the new Cloverfield movie will premiere tonight on NetFlix immediately after the Super Bowl.

There will also be a TV spot during the Super Bowl, revealing the first footage from the movie just hours before audiences will get to see it!