(2) Classic Horror Standoff - Round 2 - Frankenstein vs. Curse of Frankenstein

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, May 11, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Welcome to the Classic Horror Showdown! The second of the Hammer vs. Universal battles in the Classic Horror Showdown. This round, I am allowing you to vote for the two films you want in the next round. So, please suggest some matchups! For those of you new to the game, here are the rules, PLEASE READ THEM!!!

***PLEASE READ THE RULES FIRST, BEFORE VOTING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES WILL RESULT IN YOUR VOTE NOT COUNTING!!!***
    • The object of the Classic Horror Standoff is to pit two Classic Horror films against each other, to determine which is "better", according to the Horror DVD members.
    • You get points for which ever film wins the showdown. For instance; if 'The Blob' beats 'Fiend Without a Face'; the people who voted for The Blob get one point. The people who voted for 'Fiend Without a Face'; loose a point. NOTE: don't vote for something you don't like just to get points. If you like 'Fiend Without a Face' more than 'The Blob'; but you see that 'The Blob' is winning; don't vote for 'The Blob' just to get points. That takes ALL the fun out of the game. I will remove the point system if people are just looking to get points.
    • Each round lasts until the thread goes "dead". A thread going "dead" means that it hasn't been replied to in 24 hours.
    • If you haven't seen BOTH films on the list, DON'T reply. I will not count your vote if you write something like this: "Well, never seen The Blob; but Fiend Without a Face is my favorite film of all-time!".
    • PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't just put down the film you prefer. PLEASE give a reason why you are choosing on film over the other, not just "The Blob, because I like it more than Fiend Without a Face" OR "Fiend Without a Face; because it rocks!". You can do better than that, I know this.
    This match pits the first Frankenstein films in Universal and Hammer films history. I'd imagine that this round will be even closer than the last!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the scores for the people who played in the last round. New players are always welcomed!

Players/Points:
    Lyle Horowitz - 1
    Rockmjd - 1
    AndrewBBD - 1
    Ash28M - 1
    MaxRenn - 1
    batgirl - 1
    Damned - 1
    X-human - 1
    John Gargo - 0
    hell ya! - 0
    Jimbo - 0
    mutleyhyde - 0
    mcchrist - 0

Here is a list of our past winners:
    • The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    ...I will post my vote in a bit. Let the games begin! :evil:

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

This one is even tougher then last one for me. Again though I have to go with the Universal Version, although by a closer margin. Both films are wonderful and keep you riveted from start to finish. Both have beautiful sets and great acting. Frankenstein wins though for Whales courage in pushing the censorship boundaries and for Boris Karlofs legendary sympathetic performance playing the Monster which I thought was done better than what Lee brought to the Creature.

3. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Very,Very tough one.But i will have to go with Hammers curse.I love universals Frankenstein but feel that Peter Cushing Fit the bill perfect.But this is a tough one to call period.

4. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

I'm going with Universal's FRANKENSTEIN, which is I think the definitive version of the story, and is superior to its beloved sequel... People talk volumes about the famous "It's Alive" scene in the lab but for all its effectiveness, I'd have to say that the movie's best moment occurs at the cemetery in the beginning... Creepy and morbid even by todays standards.

5. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Funny that you didn't put Dracula and Horror Of Dracula together....

Anyways, i love both but Curse is the better of the two. I love the scenes that show the Baron growing up and learning all the theories and such. It makes his character much more fleshed out. Peter Cushing is fantastic as the Baron and while i enjoyed Clive i thought Cushing was much better. Overall i feel that Curse is a much more satisfying film.

So Curse it is.

6. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Damn, this one is much tougher than the last. I will have to go with Whale's original though, even though, again, I find both of these films to not be so great. The original, however, has several chilling scenes (the aforementioned graveyard scene) and the moment of the Monster's birth is a cornerstone of cinematic history. CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN has good performances, but I simply couldn't get into it, much like HORROR OF DRACULA. I do feel, however, that it deserves a re-watch, but who knows when I'll do that. The original FRANKENSTEIN is my vote, for now.

7. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

This one is almost too close to call but i tip my hat towards the original. To me, there is much more of an atmosphere of horror/terror in the original and when i watch the hammer version i get more of a sense for a cult classic. i still consider the original a scary and morbid film which is rare for something of its time. i think the hammer film seems more dated then the original. I go with universal.

8. Damed

Damed Guest

Wow.

This one is tougher than the last.

Upon giving it some though, I'm going to have to go with Universal's original. Karloff *is* the Frankenstein monster, plain and simple. While I do prefer cushing as Victor, I think the original holds better over time than Curse. Curse is starting to feel/look dated, while every time I watch the original I think it is as potent as the first time I watched it.
    Yes, Universal's Frankenstein gets my vote.

9. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I'm going with Curse of Frankenstein (***** of *****). I know, I know, Karloff *is* the Frankenstein Monster, but Peter Cushing is so damn good as Baron Frankenstein, his best preformance to date, imo. In Bride of Frankenstein (My personal favorite Frankenstein film), the Monster is more synpathetic, but you really don't care for the Monster in Frankenstein (**** of *****) until he throws the little girls into the water. This is already towards the end of the film. You don't really care about the other characters, either. Colin Clive plays a good Baron Frankenstein, but he really doesn't deliver a preformance on the same level of Peter Cushing. Essentially, Curse of Frankenstein AND Frankenstein both revolve more around the creator rather than the creation, and in that respect, Curse of Frankenstein gets my vote.

10. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

In general I prefer the Universal cycle to the Hammer films so this is not a hard choice....

"Frankenstein" showed the possibilities of the horror film and established the archetype of the mad scientist. Whale stages his scenes dramatically and stylishly, borrowing from the German silents yet adding great energy. Karloff's monster is a great screen character. ***1/2 out of ****

"Curse of Frankenstein" is just average. It was a different take on the story with the emphasis on the scientist but it lacks some of the style of its predecessor. In particular Lee's makeup and performance cannot compare with Karloff's. **1/2 out of ****

I vote for "Frankenstein".

11. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

That would be a no contest. I prefer Lugosi's Dracula for the record, but generally I've found horror fans prefer Horror of Dracula.

12. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I actually consider Frankenstein the more artistic of the two. While minimalistic, the sets do a strikingly good job of creating a desired effect (cold, foreboding atmosphere) with a minimum of materials. The lighting and cinematography also are masterfully crafted, not to mention that Karloff's great job of conveying emotion through nothing more than body language, grunts and facial expressions is a fine achievement.

Curse was great in that it breathed ne life into the genre, and you should know by now that I love Cushing and Lee, but I just don't see Curse overall as being aesthetically on par with Frankenstein.

My vote goes to Frankenstein.

13. Andrew

Andrew Guest

WOW! Did not see that one coming!

14. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Heh, yeah, I know. But hey, before I ever even knew what Hammer was, I was a Universal monsters fan.

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They're a lot closer than the last poll, but I'd again have to say that James Whale's Frankenstein takes the cake for me, and if you catch me on the right day I'll even say it's better than Bride of Frankenstein.

I'm a huge Peter Cushing fan, he's the reason I really dig Hammer films, but Colin Clive IS my definition of a mad scientist. I picture 1931's Frankenstein above all else whenever I seen a Frank flix, it was a mind blowing leap for horror. Dracula was good, but Frankenstein was great. Frankenstein was genius.

Curse is decent, but for me it went in the wrong direction with Frankenstein's story. It didn't seem real to me, it seemed staged.

The 1931 Frankenstein transends film for me, it is how I think a Frankenstein tale would truelly play out it real life.

16. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The round is now over. Results will be posted later tonight with the third round starting on Sunday.

17. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Frankenstein hands down. Universal is horror. nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Not only is that too brief to count, but apparently you didn't read the last post, either. The round is over.

19. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Hey Lyle your starting to slack lets start the 3rd round already.

20. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Lyle, Horrorfan wasn't voting, he was simply announcing the winner because he was tired of waiting on your sorry lazy butt to announce it. :p

Get yer butt in gear and calculate the results, start the next round, and quit being such a butt to people who are only trying to join in on the fun. Sheesh! :evil: