2 JOY 2 RIDE 3 Giveaways

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 13, 2008.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Ahhh, road revenge movies. Whether it's a semi-truck that just won't quit or a hitchhiker thumbing at lunacy, it's a genre that takes the expanse of the American Dream and sends it crashing into depravity. After the quiet word of mouth success of John Dahl's original JOY RIDE, Fox has come to the well once more with JOY RIDE 2. And why not? The road horror genre has been consistently solid over the years, and with Dahl's film one of the finer examples of the genre, the odds seem pretty good.

In case you're not entirely sold on the genre, we've got 3 copies of JOY RIDE 2 to giveaway. All you've got to do is tell us, what's your favorite road revenge movie, and why?

Whether it's an episode from THE HITCHHIKER, the "thanks for the ride" segment from CREEPSHOW 2 or a full film like ROAD GAMES, DUEL or THE HITCHER, anything's game here. Just tell us in this thread and be automatically entered into our random drawing.

The contest closes a week from today on Sunday, October 19, when our next contest starts up.

So, once again, what's your favorite road revenge movie, and why?

Attached Files:

2. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Death Proof. Stuntman Mike and his badass ride, nuff said.

3. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

One of my favorite subgenres.

As for my personal favorite: it's the original version of THE HITCHER. It's got so much atmosphere, aided by a very moody score and sound design and beautifully ominous photography from the great John Seale. Rutger Hauer is one of the most menacing villains of all time. This is one of those films that you experience with the central character. Truly edge of your seat stuff. There are so many clever twists and the film is just so damned great. I remember watching it on video with my (best friend at the time) when I was about 17. I loved everything about it, and received a VHS copy from same friend for a birthday gift soon after.

I have to give honourable mentions here to Spielberg's incredible DUEL and the amazing BREAKDOWN by Jonathan Mostow. I like ROAD GAMES, DEATH PROOF, JOY RIDE, and THE CAR, also.

4. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Duel...I have fond memories of being really freaked out by it as a kid when it would come on cable. The idea of a nameless, faceless killer trying to kill you with an 18-wheeler is a damn awesome premise, and thankfully their were some competent people behind it to pull it off.

5. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Duel because its the granddaddy of road/revenge movies and has always been a personal fave of mine.

6. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

Hitcher. It's great.

7. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Death Proof is quickly becoming a favorite of mine in the road revenge genre. I actually like the extended version best, even though I originally was lukewarm to it when I saw the theatrical cut.

Why do I like it? Kurt Russell, Jungle Julia, and Zoe Bell's awesome stunts!

8. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

The Duel. Fond memories of seeing it on TV as a kid. The scene in the diner always freaked me out for whatever reason.

9. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

I liked The Hitcher. It had great suspense and a cool maniacal villain. I enjoyed it better than the remake.

10. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am going with Wild at Heart because there's a road and some revenge so it's close enough. Why is it the best? The soundtrack. The Cage. The romance. The accent of Laura Dern. The jacket. The weirdness. The Elvis. The cinematography. The desperation. It's perfect.

11. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

"Thanks for the ride, lady!" That guy rules.

12. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Duel is the best but I'll always have a soft spot for "Thanks for the ride lady!"

13. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Creepshow's 2 "Thanks for the Ride Lady". Why? Because it's the shit, that's why.

14. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I will go with Duel because it may be the best made for TV movie ever done. It created a great sense of tension and dread all without any big special effects or blood. I also find it interesting that Spielberg called Jaws his sequal to Duel.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Duel as far as "road revenge" movies are concerned here. I just love the overall look of the film, the subtle tension in the script, and the bleakness of it all. It's practically a perfect film that works well in all areas, and in that...it hasn't aged at all.

16. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Oh my god, so hard to pick this one, with so many great movies out there. Tying for 2nd place are Duel, Mad Max and The Hitcher, but based on the number of repeat viewings I've given it, I'll have to go for Hitch-Hike.

17. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Race with the Devil was pretty good.

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

The Hitcher

19. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

I would have to go with the "Thanks for the Ride" segment from CREEPSHOW 2... why? because I never tire of seeing it. So that says a lot right there.

20. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    The Hitcher, even if Eric Red was involved ;)