2010 Monster Bash

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Slackjaw83, May 19, 2010.

1. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

June 25-27 2010, Butler PA :

The 2010 Monster Bash!

[​IMG]
    http://www.monsterbashnews.com/bash.html

This will be the first bash that the wife and I have attended, sounds like major fun! We'll be leaving Thursday night and staying through the entire weekend (probably leaving mid-day sunday). Should be a BLAST!

Anyone else checking it out?

2. Slackjaw83

So....That's a "nobody" then?

3. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Looks fun but it's a bit out of my way,sadly.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If it was in Chicago I'd probably go. Further then that and it's a no go.

5. Slackjaw83

I hear you on that one. It's in PA and only about a 3 hour drive from my house, so it's no big trip for the wifey and I. I have friends that hit Jersey every year for "Chiller Theater", but the trip's always a little much for me, so I absolutely know how you guys feel.

The 2010 Monster Bash has an "Official" trailer now as well. Check it out at :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_oyuNB-U00

6. Slackjaw83

The wife and I are leaving for the Bash in a few hours. I'll post a review and images from it after I get back home on Monday! To me, this isn't just another convention, it just seems like something more. I haven't been this excited for a convention in a LONG time.

7. Slackjaw83

Just got home from the bash. Sadly, no pics to post, as the wife's camera decided that "dying" was on its itinerary for the weekend, lol. Anywho, here's the run-down of the weekend from my perspective :

Movies I caught:

- "Monsters we've known and loved" : 1960's black and white short documentary (about 20 minutes) about horror from the 20's up until that point. We watched an original 16mm print and it really set the tone for the day.

- "The Witch's Dungeon - The Aurora Monsters" : Amazing new documentary about the classic aurora monster models (as well as monster models in general and the 1960's monster kid scene), hosted by Zacherley and "Gorgo the Gargoyle" (a bill diamond puppet). It was about 2 hours long and it was absolutely fantastic. To top it off, it was introduced by Gorgo itself, which was a real treat.

- "Tarantula" : Sadly, this was supposed to be "House of the Wolfman", but, due to a death (the third...) associated with the people involved, it was replaced with this Universal classic. It's a fun little flick that I've seen a handful of times, but this time, on an original 16mm print, it was just kinda magical.

- "Bride of the Monster : Ed Wood version" : George "The Animal" Steele was at the Bash, so they played an extended version of Burton's version of "Bride of the Monster" from "Ed Wood". It was fun, but I would have been more into a 16mm showing of the original.

- "The Day The Earth Stood Still" : Again, another classic I've seen dozens of times. That said, as I've mentioned on this site before, there's just something about seeing an old 16mm print that just adds a bit of magic to the experience. One of my favorite moments of the weekend.

- "Earth vs. Spider" : Bert Gordon's classic piece of cheese. My only gripe is that it was a projected DVD as opposed to an original print, which bummed me out,

- "This Island Earth" : I absolutely love this movie, and seeing it on 16mm was neck-and-neck with seeing "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and a couple others as my favorite movie-watching moment of the weekend. Spectacular.

- "War of the Worlds" : The 1952 classic that still holds up so well today, it was from an original print and still had some of that aforementioned magic.

- "The Thing from Another World" : Ok, this film needs no introduction. that said, how it was played this weekend does. The guys at the bash set up a HUGE outdoor screen in the back parking lot of the hotel and mad a little custom drive-in. It was an original 16mm print and, after the film, they had a bit of spook show flair, with a guy dressed as Arnes' titular character ravaging the audience and glow-in-the-dark flying saucers in the trees behind the screen. Really a one-of-a-kinda moment.

- "Fiend without a Face" : Another classic, and one of the goriest films of the era. Sadly, again, it was am projected DVD as opposed to an original print.

"Guests of Honor that I met" :

- Tom Savini : First time I got to meet Savini and I was REALLY excited. His late 70's and 80's output are some of my favorite movies, and it was a dream to meet the guy....but he really seemed like he didn't want to be there. I got an autograph, but he signed it, without even looking it, while watching a DVD on a portable player and talking to the girl he was with. It was a let-down, to be sure.

- George "The Animal" Steele : He was awesome. Very friendly, very energetic, very engaging. I've been watching the guy wrestle since I was a little kid, and meeting him was another high point.

- Bill Diamond : His monster TV puppet show is awesome, and Bill seemed like a nice guy. He spent the day walking around with various puppets, having fun in the dealer room.

- John Russo / Bill Heinzman / George Kosana / Kyra Schon : The mini NOTLD reunion was a cool, and all 4 of them were really nice and appreciative of their cult status. Very cool.

- Julie Adams : The beauty that was ravaged by "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" was still a doll and really had that old hollywood glamor.

- Anne Robinson : The "War of the Worlds" star very much had that same old hollywood glamor as well. I didn't really talk much with her, though.

- Don Reese : the Bash Comedian that was AWESOME! He was hilarious, and he was the nicest guy. He was a real fan of the genre, as he was there from open to close of the show all 3 days. Definitely made my wife and I into fans.

- Ghoul A Go Go crew : Horror hosts from Long Island did a live show and a meet and great there. They were great, and super-nice guys. I'm definitely wishing that I could get there show on a weekly basis here.

- Mr. Lobo : One of the best Horror hosts working today. He was completely professional and really inviting. Cool cat.

Basically, there was SO MUCH stuff going on that it was impossible to see it all and meet everyone. We missed a few movies, and there were dozens of guests that we didn't meet. That said, we had a great weekend, saw some amazing films, met a pile of celebrities, and spent ENTIRELY too much money at the dealer room. As a note, the dealers at this show were all really great as well. Great, rare stuff for really reasonable and cheap prices. Beyond that, you could tell that they all genuinely loved classic horror and sci-fi and loved being there. It was just a great, familial atmosphere.

The last note, though, would be about said aforementioned familial atmosphere : At first, it's VERY daunting. The Bash has been going for 13 years, and most of the people there were middle-age-to-older-folks that've been going to the Bash for all 13 years. EVERYONE seems to know each other, and you feel like a bit of an outsider (as they have a pile of events specifically geared to returning guests). That said, by Sunday, we'd met a pile of people and felt pretty welcome there. Next year, I'm sure it was be even more-so, and the year after that, and so on and so on.

Long story short : If you're in the PA area next June, do yourself a favor and check it out!

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

SlackJaw, sorry to hear about your less than memorable meeting with Tom Savini. He was a hero of mine when I was in high school in the late 90's and got to meet him at a convention then, so I know what you mean when you mentioned how excited you were. I go to two conventions a year and he is always at both of them. I'd guess that's his primary way of making money these day's. He probably does 20+ conventions a year and gives thousands of autographs during that time. Him signing your DVD, my DVD, any one's DVD sadly is business as usual to him now