20th Anniversary of the Puppet Master Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

2. Nailwraps

3. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me after glancing at my blu ray. I can confirm the disc is low grade cheap shit. The disc doesn't even look like a blu ray upon inspection. It looks like a dvd with the scratch coating on top. The disc is virtually cloudy and white cheap looking. The normal high standard blu rays are much darker in tone. Mine plays fine for now so it is what it is. I'm not surprised and I am not complaining it happens I guess.

4. deepred

deepred Member

I just tried to play my blu-ray disc of Puppet Master on two different players and neither of them could read the disc. It worked when I first purchased it. :(

5. Zollman

Zollman New Member

I am Fanboyz at Blu-rat.com, and yes.
    The first run of Puppetmaster (with 5.1 sound) all went bad.
    It ironic because the ORIGINAL first pressings were recalled for having only a 2.0 soundtrack.

I actually think the discs are not pressed, but simply BD-R discs...

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just checked mine, and the Puppet Master Blu-ray (5.1 corrected disc) won't play for me either...in my set-top Blu-ray players or in my computer drive. It definitely worked fine when I first received it.

Puppet Master: Axis of Evil still plays perfectly fine though. Was that release affected as well?

That's fucked up though. :mad: I'm going to contact FM and see what the hell they say. What other Blu-ray releases have gone bad like this? :eek2:

7. Nailwraps

That's a good idea. I know it's been 3 years since the release, but still.

8. Katatonia

Full Moon have always been good about sending replacements for defective products.

The original Subspecies box set had an audio sync issue, and they sent a brand new full set and said to just keep the old one. They did the same with the Puppet Master Blu-ray's audio mishap.

A Blu-ray shouldn't go bad after only a couple of years, and a few times played. There was obviously just some manufacturing defect, most likely a top-quality replicator wasn't used. A Blu-ray should look like a reflecting silver mirror on the play surface, even moreso than a DVD appears. It shouldn't appear dull/cloudy like this.

It's really odd that the "corrected" disc would turn out to be faulty too. But yeah, I'll just wait and see what they say...

9. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

My copies of Puppetmaster and Subspecies were purchased about a month ago through one of the Amazon 3rd Party Sellers (muboutletstore), and both appear to be pressed discs, and not BD-R. There's Matrix info around the hub on the playable side that would probably not be present if these discs were BD-R discs.

Puppet Master: Barcode BD SMCA PUPPET MASTER 1 REMASTERED BLU-RAY 0660-0155F2

Subspecies: Barcode BD SMCA SUPSPECIES BLU-RAY 0660-0171F4

For the record, I didn't experience any issues in playback with either of these discs, nor were there any visible defects.

10. Katatonia

I haven't heard a word back from FM, yet. I sent a message through their website and posted to their Facebook back on the 3rd.

Has anybody else tried contacting them about this problem? :eek2:

11. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Don't know if this has already been posted but, there's a new Puppet Master BD coming in August from 88 Films!

Check out the Facebook link on the top of the page for full specs!

http://www.88films.co.uk/

12. Nailwraps

Dammit, why can't this be a Blu re-release in the US? Or better yet, why can't 88 Films set up a headquarters in the US?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  13. Katatonia

Sweet, DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0? That certainly should beat the crappy US Blu-ray's audio. And FINALLY, some extras! :banana:

It's up for pre-order at Amazon UK.

They are also releasing Subspecies on Blu-ray in October it looks like. Intruder is also coming, but would have to be great to beat the Synapse Blu-ray.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  14. deepred

deepred Member

Are 88 Films' blu-rays region-free?

15. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Their DVD's are all region, this is the first BD from them though so who knows?

16. deepred

deepred Member

Kicking myself now because I just ordered another copy of PM from an Amazon seller. It was cheap but I hope this one doesn't rot too.

I would love to see Castle Freak, Tourist Trap, PM 2 & 3, Subspecies 2 & 3, and Dark Angel: Ascent get blu-ray releases from this company if they are region-free. :evil:

17. Nailwraps

18. Katatonia

I already have it on pre-order.

FM still never have responded to the rotting problem with their release. That'll be the last Blu-ray I buy from them when its first released. It's bad enough that the original release was missing the correct audio, it's even worse when the corrected disc rots within 2 years.

19. MartinBlanke

MartinBlanke New Member

Hi im the guy who posted that over at blu-ray.com. I simply called them up and got them to send me a replacement. Although looks like I will be trading it in at amazon and buying this new one. One thing though how do we know it's region free? So far all I cna find is that ONE blog post, the rest don't mention it at all including their facebook and official site.