20th Anniversary of the Puppet Master Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Katatonia, Mar 6, 2010.

1. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see it!

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

got my trunk case today very happy with it though u could only fit 3 dvds in it as most but very well done i'll be doing a complete puppet master marathon in the next few weeks

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Got it in the other day, and it's a pretty big box. I was expecting something half as thick. I was never expecting something to fill with the entire series, just barely enough to cover the DVDs. So with that in mind I am still impressed. The poster on the other hand I am less impressed with as it's to scale with the truck... So very tiny. There's also a foam guard they put on the flip side with a sticker of a character on it. Mine's Six Shooter. I'm assuming these were random. I also got box #77.

Looks like the boxes are custom made to some extent. I got the Blu version and the two cases fit into their own foam padding, so I can only imagine that's been finalized in the shop just before they ship out to buyers.

I will check out Axis of Evil tomorrow night, time permitting. I just watched Puppet Master Legacy last night, which wasn't half bad. So I'm all caught up.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well now that the trunks are getting shipped out I'm hoping to hear some reviews on both of the blu's. Especially the original Puppet Master. Hopefully HorrorDigital does a review on this.

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

...and an image comparison. ;)

6. Zombie Dude

Yep. I'm really interested in seeing that too.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

8. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Man, that looks incredible!

For the people that are starting to get their trunks, what were some of the dates you ordered it on?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  9. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Just to let people know. The version of Puppet Master that is on the blu-ray. Is not the Uncut print that is on the Razor Digital dvd.

10. Nailwraps

St. Patty's Day. I just got my set today!

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I received my Blu-ray trunk earlier today. Yay!...finally.

True, it was confirmed earlier in post #135 of this thread also.

12. Nailwraps

How does the transfers on the Blus look?

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Sat down and watched Axis of Evil and it was pretty good, but not great. Production was limited but effective. I loved what it was trying to do, with some very unPC stereotypes (especially with yellow face) and some balls out moments with what characters do. But it comes up short, and I place most if not all of that blame on David DeCoteau. The puppetry was very limited though no CGI that I could tell. Some of the puppets were pretty bad; Tunneler always looked like rubber. What was most irritating about the movie was how historically inaccurate it was. Minor quibble perhaps, but WW2 should be well known enough that such trappings could be avoided.

Hard to place the movie. But with judicial use of the fast forward button, we're certainly back to the Puppet Master 3/4/5 era and acting like 6/7 never happened.

Axis of Evil looks OK in HD but there was a very limited dynamic ranger throughout and some black crush here and there. I suspect that comes from the HD cameras more than the transfers, and here's why; At the very beginning there's some footage they re-used from the first Puppet Master and that looked very good in HD. There was much more fine detail and there were no issues with the dynamic range.

I will check out Puppet Master tomorrow night, but unfortunately I don't have a blu-ray player in my computer so I can't take screen captures. I do have the Razor DVD as well as the earlier SD release but couldn't directly compare. As I said the footage looked great when re-used in Axis so I'm looking forward to giving it the full spin.

14. Katatonia

Well, the original "Puppet Master" looks pretty good in 1080p HD. For a 20+ year old low-budget film, it's a solid transfer. It's not absolutely stunning, but it is a VAST improvement over the old DVD's 20-year-old Pan&Scan transfer.

The Blu-ray is MPEG-4 AVC encoded. The back cover proclaims that it features "5.1 Surround" sound, but the only audio option is the standard Dolby Digital 2.0 at 192kbps.

Bonus features include a new introduction by Charles Band that runs a little over 5 minutes and is in full 1080p HD.

The original "Making Of" Featurette from the old DVD is included, in SD.

The disc also includes the Axis of Evil trailer in HD, and trailers for 12 older Full Moon films including the first 3 Puppet Master films...all in SD.

I would take some screengrabs, but I'm not sure exactly how to bypass Blu-ray's DRM crap to grab them. It's not as simple as grabbing them from a DVD with a single click. Rhett?

15. Zombie Dude

That sounds pretty good then. Any idea if it's region free? Good luck with getting screen caps, I would love to see some.

Also, I'm rather impressed that Axis is getting some rather positive reactions from the people here. I'm glad it doesn't stink like the last few Puppet Master films.

16. Katatonia

It's pretty difficult to figure out the Regions of a Blu-ray, without the aid of a switchable region player. Full Moon lists both the DVD and Blu-rays as region-free on their website though.

I just finished watching it, and it's definitely better than the last few sequels. It seems like it had a decent budget, and the film was shot in 2.35:1 widescope unlike any other PM film before. Again, it lists 5.1 Surround on the back cover, but a standard Dolby Digital 2.0 track is all that's on the disc.

One thing that's odd. The original Puppet Master Blu-ray is encoded as MPEG-4 AVC, but Axis of Evil is encoded as MPEG-2. Both transfers look really solid in 1080p HD and you'd never know without checking the disc specs in a program like BDInfo or PowerDVD, but that's a bit strange.

17. Zombie Dude

Does it mention the regions on the back cover? I know Troma blu's have the multi region symbol. Still, if the sit says they are then they should be, which is great news. I'm dying to see the original in hi-def.
    I'm glad to hear it's better than the last few. They were terrible. Sounds like it's presented rather nicely too. The encoding is a little odd tho.

18. Katatonia

It shows a "Region 1" icon on the back cover of both the Blu-rays.

Of course there is no Region 1 as far as Blu-ray goes. It's just Regions A/B/C

19. Zombie Dude

It's odd that it says region 1. It should say A/B/C or all three. Bit of a stuff up there.

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Not much more to add but yes it's ten times better. Colors are much better in this transfer. The previous version was overly bright and a little blown out. This new transfer has a nice color range and while it may not seem too much more detailed I could tell there were many more little things you could never tell before. There were many instances where I could see new details, like on the sets or mostly the dolls themselves.

While I'm not really buying that Puppet Master was truly intended for 1.85:1, the 16:9 transfer is very becoming of the framing. Unlike the 2.35:1 imposed on Axis of Evil which I think was far too tight.