(3) Classic Horror Standoff - Round 3 - Black Sunday vs. The Black Cat

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, May 17, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Welcome to the Classic Horror Showdown! The third of the Classic Horror Showdown pits two of the most moody, atmospheric horror films against each other. Black Sunday has often been cited as a film with the same "feel" of a Universal horror film, despite being more graphic. Many film historians consider The Black Cat to be one of Universal's finest films, and one of their more risque. This round, I am allowing you to vote for the two films you want in the next round. So, please suggest some matchups! For those of you new to the game, here are the rules, PLEASE READ THEM!!!

***PLEASE READ THE RULES FIRST, BEFORE VOTING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES WILL RESULT IN YOUR VOTE NOT COUNTING!!!***

• The object of the Classic Horror Standoff is to pit two Classic Horror films against each other, to determine which is "better", according to the Horror DVD members.
    • You get points for which ever film wins the showdown. For instance; if 'The Blob' beats 'Fiend Without a Face'; the people who voted for The Blob get one point. The people who voted for 'Fiend Without a Face'; loose a point. NOTE: don't vote for something you don't like just to get points. If you like 'Fiend Without a Face' more than 'The Blob'; but you see that 'The Blob' is winning; don't vote for 'The Blob' just to get points. That takes ALL the fun out of the game. I will remove the point system if people are just looking to get points.
    • Each round lasts until the thread goes "dead". A thread going "dead" means that it hasn't been replied to in 24 hours.
    • If you haven't seen BOTH films on the list, DON'T reply. I will not count your vote if you write something like this: "Well, never seen The Blob; but Fiend Without a Face is my favorite film of all-time!".
    • PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't just put down the film you prefer. PLEASE give a reason why you are choosing on film over the other, not just "The Blob, because I like it more than Fiend Without a Face" OR "Fiend Without a Face; because it rocks!". You can do better than that, I know this.
    • If you feel any other rules should be added, please PM me and I will take it under advisement.
    I have no idea how this round is going to turn out, but last round Frankenstein beat out Curse of Frankenstein, in a showdown I thought would be a lot closer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the scores for the people who played in the last round. New players are always welcomed!

Players/Points:
    Rockmjd - 2
    AndrewBBD - 2
    Ash28M - 2
    MaxRenn - 2
    Damned - 2
    X-human - 2
    mutleyhyde - 1
    batgirl - 1
    John Gargo - 1
    Lyle Horowitz - 0
    hell ya! - 0
    Jimbo - 0
    mcchrist - 0

Here is a list of our past winners:
    • The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    • Frankenstein (1931)
    ...I will post my vote in a bit. Let the games begin! :evil:

2. Damed

Damed Guest

The Black Cat gets my votes.

Karloff and Lugosi are at their finest here, and considering the date made, this film was VERY risque for its time, considering the "satan worship" theme. Still today I find it holds its value and "edgy-ness"

For next round, how about Phantom of the Opera (1925) vs Phantom of the Opera (1943)

3. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

That would be a complete landslide although I do prefer the 1943 version overall. The 1925 version only has Chaney's preformance and makeup, which is brilliant. However, the film is dull.

4. Damed

Damed Guest

I'm not so sure about the landslide. I prefer the 1925 one myself, and I find it's pretty much a 50/50 split with folks, although the population of this board may not reflect that.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I have not seen Black Sabbath. But this is a good poll, damn shame I haven't seen one of'em because this is the first one I'm not sure which would win.

Anyways Black Cat is a real good movie, a lot better than The Raven. But both are rather surprising I think in their content, horror movies were starting to get pretty graphic with what happens beneath the story.

6. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Haven't seen THE BLACK CAT, so I can't vote...

Hmmm... a suggestion for next round...

THE INVISIBLE MAN vs. CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON

7. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Black sunday all the way! I am a sucker for Barbara Steele. I love the atmospher in the movie and the general feel to it.Black cat is a great film as well and Karloff and lugosi are outstanding actors but my vote has to go with Black Sunday.

8. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I know that The Black Cat isn't on DVD in R1, but if anyone is interested in a R1 DVD-R also featuring The Raven, PM me. I just got a DVD Burner for the computer so this can be done easily.

Anyways, my vote goes to The Black Cat (**** of *****). Although I like Black Sunday (***1/2 of *****) a lot, The Black Cat is a lot better. Better preformances from Karloff and Lugosi, beautifully photography, great pre-code risque-ness, and some geniunely creepy moments. Not to take anything away from Black Sunday, which is a gothic horror work of art. However, there isn't much in the way of good preformances outside of Barbra Steele, imo, this is the films weak point.

9. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

I saw Black Sunday recently after years of passing it up on the shelf. Yes I admit it looks like a Universal film but to me it was boring as hell. In fact so dull I couldn't finish it. So the one-two punch of Boris and Bela in The Black Cat get my vote. It has been years since I have seen it but it is a satisfying film!!!!!!

10. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

Gotta say Black Cat, the only real Lugosi vs karloff film...thinking about then together gives me chills, there is no comparison with actors today. they put out freddy vs jason, alien vs predator which is mostly special effects vs special effects..but in black cat we have actor vs actor...icon vs icon. i need this movie on dvd

11. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Can't vote, so I lose possible points. Oh well.

12. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

For shame. ;)

13. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

This is very close but I vote for "Black Sunday" for its fantastic atmosphere. The story is run-of-the-mill but Bava's visuals are amazing. I wish he had made more black and white films. ***/****

"Black Cat" is a fascinating, bizarre film but it's hard to take seriously. It's great to see Lugosi and Karloff in the leads and the sets are unique but there are too many subplots and the music is intrusive. Definitely should be released on DVD as it is so different to other Horror films of the 30s. ***/****

14. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

The Round Is Now Over. Results And The Next Round To Be Posted Shortly.

15. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

I apologize for the delay. As most of you know I've had a rough couple of days and the next round will be posted between today and tomorrow.