3-D TVs: RIP?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Workshed, Jan 7, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

The demise of 3DTV seemed pretty imminent when UHD Blu-Ray didn't even include 3D in the format specs, but there were always too many reasons for it NOT to catch on and far too few for it to become truly popular:
    • Too many components required (TV, Blu-Ray Player / Game Console, Glasses) to achieve 3D and each component was usually sold separately.
    • 3D was rarely a standard feature in the most basic/cheapest Blu-Ray players of almost every product line.
    • No universally accepted standard for in-home 3D (Active Shutter vs. Passive).
    • Too much coordination required by the consumer (Active Shutter 3D TV with Active Shutter Glasses or Passive TV with Passive Glasses).
    • Glasses, particularly active shutter, were too expensive.
    • Too much post-conversion 3D content (filmed in 2D and converted for 3D) with less than stellar results.
    • Content was mostly limited to a niche market (3D) of an already niche market (Blu-Ray). Very limited support through gaming consoles.
    • Overpriced 3D Blu-Ray content compounded with the fact that there were usually non-3D releases of the same movie that were priced much more reasonably.
    • Avatar 3D, arguably the most famous and popular 3D film of all time, wasn't available as a standalone release until October 2012 and didn't include the extended cut in 3D.
    Bottom line: They didn't do enough to make the format accessible to the average consumer.

Zombie Dude and buck135 like this.
  2. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I never use my 3D functionality, but I see more value in that than with the "smart" features, which I don't use either. They were handy as an intro to streaming, but after a year or two they stop issuing firmware updates, and the chipset falls out of date just as fast as any computer does. Eventually if the TV lives long enough you are going to have to use an external device anyways, and most of them work so much better than the internal apps do. Plus, they slow down the start time to an annoying level, particularly in the Sonys. I wish we could still buy a basic television with a quality panel and without all of the frivolity, but we can't.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV with 3D and I love it - this news bums me out actually. 3D movies look amazing on my set and it is an awesome extra feature to have. I don't watch 3D all the time but it is nice occasionally as a special treat. Sucks to think it may be difficult to find a 3D set if mine breaks.....

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, the real concern you should have is buying another PLASMA TV if yours breaks. They haven't made those since 2013 (at least Panasonic hasn't)

Zombie Dude likes this.
  5. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea that sucks too.......

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Are you sure? We just bought Finding Dory 3D, and I know that Moana will be having a 3D release in a month or so....

7. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I own 2 passive 3D LG televisions. I always buy the 3D blu-ray version of a film if it is available. The glasses cost nothing since I can bring them home from the theater, and the family has fun with it on the holidays. I'm not upgrading to 4k for quite some time and I already have more than a few movies to watch in this way if I choose. Oh, and I have a regular Panasonic 51" plasma in my man cave, so I'm set with that tech as well. :)

8. Dave

Dave Pimp

No I wasn't sure, actually. I recall reading an article about it a few years back. I think it referenced Maleficent getting a 3d release internationally but not here in the States. To my recollection, it indicated that Disney stopped (or maybe was about to stop?) releasing 3D here is the States outside of comic flicks. Now, I definitely read something! Maybe not an article; maybe it was just a forum post somewhere. Maybe enough people complained and Disney changed their mind, or maybe whoever wrote it was full of crap. Either way, it didn't happen and I was mistaken. Ooops.

Still, I always argue that nothing is dead until people stop using it. Laserdisc continues to have an active community. I'm amazed at all the people who now tinker with the players to keep them going. You could argue that laserdisc is dead with Pioneer no longer making parts and no movie releases since 2000-2001. Most of the people on the Laserdisc Forever facebook group would disagree. Some are thinking that 3D printers are going to help keep these players running for many years to come.

With 3D blu, there are still movie releases coming! As long as that happens, it's alive in my opinion. Lack of hardware is a bummer but again, there are tons and tons of TVs out there. I might be selling my 65" 3D TV soon if anyone wants it. Looking at the used market, I'm guessing $100-$200 is going to be the selling price. Crazy but when a new 4k set is under $1,000, I guess it makes sense.

What about 3D projectors? Are those still being produced?

dave13 likes this.
  9. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

When Disney stops releasing their Star Wars blu-ray's in 3D, I'll be very worried.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I plan to keep buying the releases as long as they continue to make them, and to enjoy the hardware as long as I can. by the time my 60" 3D Sharp dies, it'll probably be time to upgrade to a 100" 8k or something....

11. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I was hoping to purchase a 3D set someday but, like many here, I don't see the format sticking around in a few years. It's too niche and gimmicky. The concept of watching 3D movies at home is fascinating - it has always been - but with the lack of good titles and real support from studios there's just no way this can survive. If I had to pick between studios/manufacturers supporting 4K or 3D I'd choose 3D. But, again, only if there was REAL support for it and plenty of product. And, no, 3D conversions of 2D material doesn't really count lol.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have to say though, some of what I have seen has been incredible. Titanic and Jurrasic Park spring to mind.

13. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

If I'm not mistaken, most films are post production 3D. I enjoy the format, and it's not like my collection becomes null if 3D is completely dropped and my equipment dies. They all contain 2D copies of the films as well. I think the tech would have caught on much more if the passive format was the only format, as active equipment is quite cost prohibitive and probably having both only created some confusion for consumers.

buck135 likes this.
  14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I completely agree. Of the 30 3D blu-ray's in my collection, the ones that benefit the most from 3D are:

House of Wax
    The Mad Magician
    Jaws 3
    Friday the 13th Part 3
    Creature from the Black Lagoon
    It Came From Outer Space
    Man in the Dark
    The Mask
    Saw: The Final Chapter

Jurrasic Park and The Force Awakens are terrific 3D blu-ray's as well.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Is Friday 2 available on stereoscopic 3D blu?

16. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

F13 Part 3 received a very good stereoscopic 3D blu-ray fan creation.

17. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

My understanding is that Plasma TVs are not compatible with passive 3D technology, so Active Shutter 3D would be the only option for those models. That's not a concern, now, but that's at least part of the reason active shutter was introduced.

LCD and OLED TVs don't have the same limitation. If possible, they should have been produced to support both formats, so that the consumer could decide which glasses they want to use after they purchased their TV.

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

where can i get this?

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I watched Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn in 3D last night...geeeeeez what a terrible movie (also worth pointing out that nothing remotely like a "metal storm" occurs, and the titular Jared-Syn is, in fact, not destroyed). But the 3D was a lot of fun. Worth seeing just for the 3D.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

PM sent.