31 Days of Halloween: I'm watching nightly...

Discussion in 'General' started by wago70, Oct 2, 2005.

1. MapleBob

MapleBob Guest

10/30

Last night I watched the first installment in Showtime's Master's of Horror. It was on twice and I watched the second half first and the first half after and I thought it was pretty good, but then I think Angus Scrimm is a national treasure.

Then I tried to watch the new version of TCM but only made it to the point where they get to the windmill. Seems like it's some modern day 20 year-old's idea of what the 1970's were like instead of a more authentic vision of the 1970's as portrayed in the actual movie. Even House of 1000 Corpses was closer, IMO, while being more over-the-top.

2. nukfut

nukfut Guest

Oct. 31:
    Halloween
    Sleepaway Camp

The cop with the electrical tape moustache gets me every time!

"Hey bob-a-re-bob. Hey bob-a-re-bob."

3. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Oct. 31st continued:
    "Curse of the Demon"
    "Halloween 2"

4. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Oct 31 - Suspiria

5. wago70

October 31st - Final Film: HALLOWEEN encore showing.
    Thanks to EVERYBODY for participating again this year!!! I've noted many of your titles that I'm due to seek out myself! Bring on Halloween 2006...

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

We marathoned HALLOWEEN:H20,THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE,PSYCHO 3 and 1982's ALONE IN THE DARK.Great fun !

7. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

As is the case every year, I saved several of my absolute favorites for the last few days of October, and I threw in some new viewings as well.

10/29:

Carnival of Souls (1962)
    Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)- first time viewing

10/30:

The Hills Have Eyes (1977)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
    Night of the Lepus (1972)- first time viewing
    Haute Tension (2003)

10/31:

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
    Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist (2005)
    The Wicker Man (1973)
    Prince of Darkness (1987)
    The Blair Witch Project (1999)

I also decided to watch Sleepaway Camp 2 on Showtime, but it was after midnight.

8. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

October 31: Halloween 1,2,4,5

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

October 31

Night Of The Demons
    Halloween
    House Of 1000 Corpses
    The Black Cat (1934)

I meant to watch Fright Night as well, but I ran out of time because I greatly underestimated just how many Trick or Treaters I would have. It was like kid central over here. I will have to give that one a spin soon though, because now I have the urge. Welcome to Fright Night...for real.

It was fun having my October Horror Marathon with you guys. You gave me some good tips and ideas of movies to watch together in the future. Maybe next year, my list will be perfect, without clunkers like Satan's Little Helper stinking up the mix. All in all though, it was a good month of horror at casa onebyone.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

October 31:

Tales From The Crypt: Season 2 Episodes 1-6

Came home rather late from work and was tired as hell. Still managed to watch disc 1 of the TFTC:S2 set. Fun stuff and quite fitting for Halloween night. Would have done a movie marathon if I had that day off though. Maybe next year :)

11. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Last night I watched Suspiria, just as I did the year before. I was going to watch another movie, but it was getting late so I decided to hit the sack. :(

It was very strange because this year I wasn't really in the mood to watch too many movies around Halloween. But now, of course, I've gotten into a slasher mood so tonight I'm going to start off an after-Halloween slasherfest, starting with Halloween II and The Prowler. I may also mix a couple of zombie films in there, because I want to see Land of the Dead with commentary and I've been itching to watch Dawn of the Dead ('04) again. :)

But then again, if I happen to get Cannibal Holocaust in the mail today, I'll probably just postpone the slasherfest and watch that instead. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  12. Surnom

Surnom New Member

On Halloween

Graveyard shift - slow way to end the month, very, very boring movie...

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Sun 30th

The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror I
    Freddy vs. Jason
    History Channel presents: History's Mysteries - The Amityville Haunting

Mon 31st

House of Wax (2005)
    The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VIII
    Jeepers Creepers II
    The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror XII
    The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror II
    The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror III
    On Reality TV: Grave Secrets: The Legacy of Hilltop Drive

14. Surnom

Surnom New Member

I think it could be interesting to know what were everyone's highlights of the month. Here's mine, even if I'm far behind most people around here...

32 movies watched, 3 to 5 of which were not Halloween related.

Among the horror titles:

Best movie watched: tie House by the cemetary/The Evil Dead
    Worst movie watched: tie Graveyard shift/Slumber party massacre II
    Funniest movie watched: Hell of the living dead, combined with booze
    Most movie watched in one day: Oct 22nd, with Hollywood Chainsaw Hooker, Haute Tension, Hell of the livind dead and Misery
    Biggest deception: I'd say Batman Begins (I heard so much good about this, it was a big let-down)
    Biggest surprise: Shallow ground (I though it would sucks, but I was surprised)

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

October 30: Simpsons Treehouse of Horror...um, actually I don't remember what number it was, but it was the one they played on Fox tonight.

October 31st: Stephen King's Riding The Bullet (2004) --bored me. Just couldn't keep my attention.
    Saw (2004) -- Actually better the second time. Still hilarious acting though.
    Fright Night (1985) -- Checking my TV listings and lo and behold, they're playing one of my favourite Vampire movies!! Haven't actually watched this one in a while but it's amazing how well it's held up over the years.
    Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed (2003) -- One of my favourite werewolf movies, actually one of my favourite horror flicks. I even prefer this to the original. Would've been an excellent way to end off my Halloween, but......
    Night of the Demons 3 -- I should've just quit while I was ahead. :(

The totals:
    56 movies watched, 40 of which were Horror.

Best movie watched that I'd seen already: tie Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed/Fright Night
    Best movie watched that I'd never seen before: House By The Cemetary--didn't make a lick of sense but I still enjoyed it.
    Worst movie watched that I'd seen already: tie Land of the Dead & Amityville 3-D (I pretty much knew Amityville was a bad flick, but I hoped LotD would be more enjoyable the second time)
    Worst movie watched that I'd never seen:tie Killer Tomatoes Eat France/Slaughterhouse Massacre (couldn't finish either of them)
    Funniest movie watched: Howling II: Your Sister Is A Werewolf
    Most movies watched in one day: October 31st-- 5--see above^^
    Biggest let-down: Wishing Stairs (I actually enjoyed it, but it just wasn't as great as I expected it to be. Plus, I was really anticipating watching it.)
    Biggest pleasant surprise: tie Deathtrap (Tobe Hooper)--Love the 'gator! :) and Dolls --surprised it's held up so well over the years

My biggest disappointment is that TMN stuck with mostly playing recent horror flicks this year. No Black Christmas, My Bloody Valentine, Rituals, nor any Cronenberg. I think I'll have to have one more after-Halloween fest and watch Black Christmas, MBV, Blair Witch, and some Jason flicks as that's usually a tradition for me and this year I didn't see any of them.

16. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Good idea Surnom.

Best movie watched that I had seen already: Halloween as it doesn't get much better than that.
    Best movie watched that I had never seen before: Three... Extremes was a late addition to my viewing, and it pretty much just floored me. I still can't stop thinking about it.
    Worst movie watched that I'd never seen: Effects by many country miles.
    Worst movie watched that I'd seen already: Land of the Dead, as I was very much so hoping to like it more this time around.
    Funniest movie watched: Saw gets me every time.
    Most movie watched in one day: Oct 31st, with Night Of The Demons, Halloween, House Of 1000 Corpses and The Black Cat.
    Biggest deception: Effects. I had been sold that it was gritty and realistic, when, in reality, it was just really, really, really, really poorly made.
    Biggest let-down: Satan's Little Helper, as I was very excited about Jeff Lieberman's first movie in years, and I got ... that crappy movie.
    Biggest surprise: The Blind Dead Series. It is surprising at this late date in horror fandom to find a whole great series like that.

Totals: 44 movies, 39 of them horror.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2005
  17. wago70

Best Feature Previously Seen"Halloween"/"Curse of the Demon"
    Best Feature Newly-Viewed "The Vampire Lovers"
    Most Ambitious Feature"Nightmare in Blood"
    Pleasant Surprise Awardviewing new prints of "Fall/House of Usher" and "Abominable Dr. Phibes"
    Underrated Gem that gets the most play"Halloween III"
    Slasher Classic Costumed Combo"Hell Night" "Terror Train"
    Studio whose offerings DEFINE Halloween Tie - Amicus/Hammer

18. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

Best movie watched that I had seen already: Halloween
    Best movie watched that I had never seen before: Haute Tension
    Worst movie watched that I'd seen already: A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
    Worst movie watched that I'd never seen: Land of the dead (but i did like it, just the only one that fits the catagory
    Funniest movie watched: Shaun of the Dead/Bubba Ho-Tep
    Most movie watched in one day: Holloween Night: Halloween 1&2, Night/Dawn/Day/Land (of the (living) dead)
    Biggest let-down: Land of the Dead, thou i did enjoy it alot, i was hoping for better

19. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Best movie watched that I had seen already: The Fly (1986)
    Best movie watched that I had never seen before: Land Of The Dead: Unrated
    Worst movie watched that I'd never seen: Return Of The Boogeyman (1994)
    Worst movie watched that I'd seen already: Night Visitor (1989)
    Funniest movie watched: Scary Movie 3.5 Unrated
    Most movie watched in one day: Oct 16, 4 movies: Demons At The Door, Savage Island, The Incredible 2-Headed Transplant, The Thing With Two Heads.
    Biggest let-down: Satan's Little Helper. Horrible :(
    Biggest surprise: Dead Meat (2004). Funny thrills, bloody & entertaining.

Totals: 58 I think. All genre titles.

20. MapleBob

MapleBob Guest

10/31:

Most Haunted Live on the Travel Channel
    TCM the new version
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Nightmare on Elm Street: Freddy's Revenge
    Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors