(4) Classic Horror Standoff - Round 4 - The Thing vs. The Day The Earth Stood Still

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Lyle Horowitz, May 28, 2004.

1. Lyle Horowitz

Lyle Horowitz Miscreant

Welcome to the Classic Horror Standoff! The fourth round of the Classic Horror Showdown pits two of the best science fiction films against each other. This round, I am allowing you to vote for the two films you want in the next round. So, please suggest some matchups! For those of you new to the game, here are the rules, PLEASE READ THEM!!!

***PLEASE READ THE RULES FIRST, BEFORE VOTING. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH THE RULES WILL RESULT IN YOUR VOTE NOT COUNTING!!!***

• The object of the Classic Horror Standoff is to pit two Classic Horror films against each other, to determine which is "better", according to the Horror DVD members.
    • You get points for which ever film wins the showdown. For instance; if 'The Blob' beats 'Fiend Without a Face'; the people who voted for The Blob get one point. The people who voted for 'Fiend Without a Face'; loose a point. NOTE: don't vote for something you don't like just to get points. If you like 'Fiend Without a Face' more than 'The Blob'; but you see that 'The Blob' is winning; don't vote for 'The Blob' just to get points. That takes ALL the fun out of the game. I will remove the point system if people are just looking to get points.
    • Each round lasts until the thread goes "dead". A thread going "dead" means that it hasn't been replied to in 24 hours.
    • If you haven't seen BOTH films on the list, DON'T reply. I will not count your vote if you write something like this: "Well, never seen The Blob; but Fiend Without a Face is my favorite film of all-time!".
    • PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't just put down the film you prefer. PLEASE give a reason why you are choosing on film over the other, not just "The Blob, because I like it more than Fiend Without a Face" OR "Fiend Without a Face; because it rocks!". You can do better than that, I know this.
    • If you feel any other rules should be added, please PM me and I will take it under advisement.
    In the last round, The Black Cat clobbered Black Sunday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the scores for the people who played in the last round. New players are always welcomed!

Players/Points:
    Rockmjd - 3
    Damned - 3
    AndrewBBD - 2
    Ash28M - 2
    X-human - 2
    MaxRenn - 1
    Horrorfan - 1
    mutleyhyde - 1
    batgirl - 1
    John Gargo - 1
    Lyle Horowitz - 1
    hell ya! - 0
    Jimbo - 0
    mcchrist - 0

Here is a list of our past winners:
    • Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    • Frankenstein (1931)
    • The Black Cat (1934)
    ...I will post my vote in a bit. Let the games begin! :evil:

2. Damed

Damed Guest

Haven't seen "the day the earth stood still" so I'm out this round

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would have to go with The Day the Earth Stood Still even though I have never thought of it a horror film, I always just thought of it a pure SciFi. I really enjoyed The Thing as well but I thought TDTESS was a bit more intelligent and had more to say.

4. batgirl

batgirl Guest

Day the earth stood still all the way

-more screen time with gort than with thing
    -beautiful bernard hermann score (the thing's score is almost as good)
    -that space ship is perfert
    -Klaatu barada nikto!
    -the photography is more luscious and silvery imho
    -we get to see inside the saucer..wow

everyone is talking way too fast in the thing

bye

5. Jimbo

Jimbo The Bloodstained Shadow

Yet another close call. I have to go with The day the earth stood still.The story moves better and i love the theme music.

6. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

This one is easy.

"The Thing" is one of the best horror movies of the 50s. It has a great setting, great dialog and the suspense builds relentessly until the climax. The only annoyances are the slightly lame monster and the underlying "military guys = good, scientists = bad" theme. **** out of ****

"Day the Earth Stood Still" - I really am not a big fan of this movie. It's handled well but I find it too earnest and preachy and the effects are cheesy. **1/2 out of ****

I vote for "The Thing"

7. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I vote for the "The Thing."

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" is a wonderful film in many ways - I especially like its religious connotations. It's a movie that attempts to present a vision of global unity at a time when the world was split into two global powers. It's almost a commercial for the United Nations. The UN was supposed to be the global voice that checked the unilateralism of the big powers. This film is as urgent today as in the 50s.

"The Thing" is a brilliant film. It has all the trademark Howard Hawks touches that make it work for me: the snappy dialogue, the strong female character, the tight-knit working-class buddies... "The Thing" is not only about the Red Scare - as many people tend to say anytime they talk about 50s invasion films - it is also about the failure of leadership in times of crisis. It is important to note that it is NOT the military leadership that skillfully handles the monster in the film, but the low-ranking guys and the woman. The film conveys a powerful critique of the US military in times of when the US perceived itself to be under threat. Where are these films today?

Last edited: May 30, 2004
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd have to say The Thing From Another World.

There's much more of a dynamic to the story and especially of the characters. Plus the setting is absolutly perfect. I think it explores fears more throughly and presents them in a bit more logical or realistic way.

Day the Earth Stood Still is smart yet remarkably naive. I just can't imagine it playing out that way, I really can't.

Now Invasion of the Body Snatchers VS. The Thing From Another World... There's a thinker...

9. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

To me this is an easy choice. I pick the Thing from another world. A film that can walk the lines of scifiand horror. Remade by John Capenter into a great cult classic. Day is a qualty film but for me it drags in recent viewings. So by all means The Thing gets my vote!!!!!

10. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

the thing from another world, because for me its always been a scary, fast paced ride whereas "the day the earth stood still" bored me at many points. i could watch "the thing" any time any day and be excited to watch it each time but i have no desire to see "day the earth stood still" more than maybe once a year. its rare for me to have fun and be on the edge of my seat for a movie thats over 50 years old so the thing definitely gets my vote.

11. Severn

Severn Member

I love both movies and saw them repeatedly growing up. It is a very tough call but I lean towards more of "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

12. I would go with " The Day the Earth Stood Still " , my favorite science fiction of the 50's . Gort is by far my favorite charector of the early science fiction films and i guess my other favorites would be Robbie the Robot and the robot from TVs " Lost in Space ".