40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    4A99E374-8A03-4E26-8397-73838047773D.jpeg

baggio and Matt89 like this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That MBV poster is killer!!

~Matt

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Here are the Danish and Argentinian posters. My favorite poster for MBV is the Japanese B2.

Friday the 13th 1 Denmark.JPG Friday the 13th 1 Argentina.JPG

baggio and Matt89 like this.
  4. wago70

Very cool! Also - putting the dates on your ads: I approve. Release dates back then weren't so finite as they are now. A movie may have come out in San Diego, but not in Reno or San Francisco for a few months. It's easier to scour Ebay for old newspapers when the date is there ;)

5. russweiss

After a year or two of writing the dates on the front I realized I could just as easily write the date on the back which is what I did from that point on.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

So did you guys catch these movies in theaters during their original run?

I’ve seen Parts 6 and 8 on 35mm. There was going to be a screening back in March for The New Blood but that was the week the pandemic started getting really bad and stuff started closing so I didn’t risk it.

~Matt

Natas likes this.
  7. wago70

In the theaters:
    1981: PART 1 - November 14th (Yes, a Saturday). Not too many people but it was barely Noon on a Saturday - I noticed many things I had missed on
    Showtime's broadcast - the blood was RED and not black (this was due to our tv back then. Our little set wasn't high tech, lol),
    Alice pushing along Bill's rear end with her boot after they end the Monopoly game, clearer sound. Also this film was so familiar
    to viewers there that this was the first time I heard people making fun of the characters. I wanted them to shut the F up.
    PART 2 - Same double bill from above. Packed house on a Saturday Matinee. GOLD. The final jump scare got us good! Shocked at the lack of
    gory effects and the movie was over way too quickly.

1982: PART 2 - Springtime at the dollar theater as the co-feature to THE BEAST WITHIN. There were a handful of viewers for Beast. Friday, on the other hand,
    was completely full house. Again, a fun time. No snark from the patrons, final jump got 'em good. I remember just being in love with the
    rainy forest setting and that awesome chase scene.
    PART 3 - Opening weekend...on a Sunday (the 15th). Sold out show...BUT they put this in a small theater at the Century dome in Reno. Friday Part 2
    opened in the big house. This was in a tiny house due to the 3-D projections and they royally F-ed it up. Nothing worked other than the titles.
    Lots of confused patrons who loved the movie but many including me and my family felt the 3-D didn't work at all. I kept the glasses for many
    years (the charcoal lenses with the great artwork). Lost them in 1992 during my move to San Francisco.
    PART 4 - Opening Day, first show of the day...and five people in the big house. No fun, but loved the movie. Wasn't too impressed with the ending or
    the character of Tommy. Loved Trish, though.
    PART 5 - The 2nd day of release. Fun movie, enjoyed the twist about Jason. Liked the final chase and all.
    PART 6 - By this time I had given up on the sequels and simply enjoyed the first 3 movies on VHS. I saw this late in the run at the drive in on a double
    bill with FERRIS BEULLER'S DAY OFF. Enjoyed it so much we saw it at the walk in theater later that week.
    PART 7 - Opening Night! Enjoyed the heck out of it. Got home just in time to see the last half hour of Part 1 on cable. Good times! Still have the ticket.
    PART 8 - VHS and only once. Never liked this one
    THE FINAL FRIDAY - tried seeing this at two theaters in San Francisco opening weekend. One theater had to close because a fight broke out and got
    violent. The other theater (The Alexandria in the Richmond District) had sold out...soooooo - went to see Jurassic Park instead.
    PART 10 - Underwhelming movie but great seeing a Friday flick in a THX auditorium!
    FREDDY VS. JASON - saw this only once, enjoyed it and quickly forgotten what it was about. typical multiplex experience - nothing special.

THE MILLENIUM THEATER VIEWINGS:
    Part 1 at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. GOLD. Still have the ticket.
    Part 3 in 3-D at the Castro Theater in San Francisco. FINALLY - the 3-D worked and looked great! Impressed! Fun audience, too.

8. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Keeping in mind I was born in 1984....

Saw Jason X opening weekend. Packed house. Lot of fun. Very happy I caught in the theaters....

Freddy vs Jason I caught opening night. Line out the door. Had to buy tickets for the later show. Sat in the parking lot and drank a 6er with my buddy waiting for Showtime......such a blast.

09 remake I saw theatrically as well.....nothing real noteworthy, still better than any Conjuring-esk nonsense.

Saw parts 4-5-6 back to back to back, 35mm.......Alamo drafthouse. That's the GOAT right there

Matt89 and Horrorphilly like this.
  9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Sadly only the remake. It was a fun experience at the time, even though I hated most of the characters. I thought I'd see many more since then but here we are in 2020 and I'm still waiting for a new Friday movie.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

While I saw all of the original HALLOWEEN series in the theater with the exception of 2 (didn't see the Rob Zombie ones but caught the recent film),I never saw many of the FRIDAY films in the theater, just bad luck rather than indifference .I DID see pt.3 at a local Cinema Cafe as a late show once. It was in 3-D but they didn't get the glasses for the film, so they gave out glasses for a newer 3-D film they were showing. It KINDA worked but wasn't ideal. I saw JASON X at a THX theater and that got a good reaction (especially the ice scene).I saw FREDDY VS. JASON at a big multiplex with a packed house. I was stuck in the middle of the row because my buddy was late getting us there and I was kinda miserable through the whole screening. I was cramped and it was hot. Film got a decent reaction. Couldn't muster interest in the remake , still haven't seen it.

Matt89 likes this.
  11. russweiss

I'm old enough that I saw all the films in the theater with the exception of the original. Not sure exactly why I missed that one but I was 13 at the time. My brother and I rented the first film from Blockbuster Video (it was the very first title we rented) and watched it twice before bringing it back. We actually had to purchase a player as we didn't have one previously.

wago70 and Matt89 like this.
  12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I saw Jason X in a nearly empty theater opening weekend. When I saw Freddy vs. Jason and the remake opening weekend they were packed.

Funny thing with Jason X, I was a couple months away from turning 17 and was very nervous that I'd get kicked out of the theater for being underage. I was at a Regal that was introducing their Crown Club and so I signed up, but I put that I was born in '84 instead of '85 so that I'd be old enough in their system to be ok to be seeing an R rated movie. So Regal Cinemas thinks I'm a year older than I actually am, because I love Friday the 13th and rewards programs.

Matt89 and Natas like this.
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw Parts 3 and 4 at the movies but I don’t recall 5-7 ever coming to my town. If they did then they were gone in a week and I missed out. Saw part 8 but had to go to another county to see it. Think a friend’s mom drove us as I wouldn’t be old enough to get my license for another year. Had to drive from NH to NY to see Jason X first weekend but I should have waited because it seemed to get a wider release a week later, but by then I was used to these films only lasting a week.

Matt89 likes this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I really loved reading this. I was born in ‘89 so it’s an interesting glimpse into an era I never got to experience firsthand.

Funny about the 3-D for Part 3 not working, seems like that movie just can’t catch a break when it comes to being shown in its original format.

~Matt

wago70 likes this.
  15. wago70

Wow - I had a similar experience with our first VCR - cut back to 1983. Talked pops into buying us one on payday - he's looking at renting ONE movie and I come up to the counter with the boxes to HALLOWEEN, THE FUNHOUSE, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and MANIAC. We had the films for two days and had a few other families over to watch FUNHOUSE. Good times. Our first movie rentals, lol!

Matt89, russweiss and Natas like this.
  16. wago70

That stupid theater showed all the 3-D movies in that narrow tiny house - every single one I saw there was misaligned - the things make you go cross eyed and then split in two. I thought it was my bad eyesight but my friends were always joking about the effects doing the same for them and about how our theater was cheap and sad, ect.
    At least they showed Jaws 3-D in the big house and it was much better. That shark's mutha gets the big house but Jason doesn't? Yeah, they f-ed up!
    :confused:

Matt89 likes this.
  17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I saw 3, 4, and 6 theatrically on their original runs. Saw the first entry at a midnight show in 2008, on 35mm. Friday, June 13 to be exact.

wago70 and Matt89 like this.
  18. russweiss

83 was the year we got our first VCR and rentals as well. Searching the video stores for titles was a lot of fun.

19. Copyboy

Copyboy Well-Known Member

The Final Chapter was my very first R rated movie in a theater. My best friend's dad took us to see it under one condition - that I never tell my mom. I will never forget that night - driving to the theater in the back seat of my friend's dad's car, The Thompson Twins' Hold Me Now was playing on the radio and the line at the theater went around the block. We finally got in and the house was packed. I know it's most people's favorite of the series, but I honestly wasn't that impressed. I had a huge problem with Jason killing someone's mom and Corey Feldman shaving his head. Despite my disdain for the movie itself, that night is definitely one of my fondest childhood memories.

Matt89 and wago70 like this.
  20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Thought I'd mention a little more about my 2008 viewing, although I know I've told this story before. So skip it if you already heard.

People were making fun of the movie too, probably WAY more than your 1981 viewing. The first appearance of Bill in his short shorts got uproarious laughter. And the group of 20-something girls near me swooned every time Kevin Bacon showed up.
    But as the movie gets more serious, the laughter kinda died down, and I thought that was cool. Some of the kills resulted in shrieks from those girls. Then, when Mrs. Voorhees is revealed as the killer, there were audible gasps. I guess Drew Barrymore isn't the only one who assumed the killer was Jason, because after all, it always is (other than the first film). So those 20-somethings, who I assume hadn't seen it, saw Mrs. Voorhees as the potential savior. This whole thing made it a very enjoyable experience. If anything, I was a little jealous; I saw Part II BEFORE seeing the original, so I always knew (when I got around to seeing the original) that Mrs. Voorhees is the killer in that particular outing. I have no experience of seeing the film NOT knowing that, like these people did.