40 YEARS OF FRIDAY THE 13TH!!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Matt89, May 9, 2020.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    One of the biggest things I loved about FRIDAY THE 13TH and parts 2 and 3 was that final cat-n-mouse chase between victim and killer. I just go crazy over those shots in the first film of the full moon and Mrs. Vorhees channeling Jason's voice going "...get her mommy, get her - kill her, kill her..." while Alice is shown running back to the main cabin. Then, there's that awesome sequence in Part 2 where that eerie music is playing over the shots of Ginny running through the damp forest looking behind her intercut with Jason running with is pitchfork...the way it's edited you're thinking the persuit is going on for hours nonstop.
    I remember when I saw SCREAM there's that shot of Sidney running along that fence by the barn. It totally took me back to Part 3's chase scene where Chris is running from Jason after the bridge collapse sequence.
    Oh, nostalgia - where would I be without ya, lol!

baggio, Matt89 and Natas like this.
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I love how stuff like that still works with people who don’t know the movie. The jump scare at the end also still gets everyone lol. I watched the original Psycho with a friend last year and he was so shocked to find out the mother was dead and it was Norman the whole time.

~Matt

Myron Breck likes this.
  3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I actually had this kind of experience with my Mom and FRIDAY THE 13TH this past March. Mom is an easy-screamer, so she nearly fainted when Jason came out of the lake. I loved it. LOL

I also had an ex who had no idea what FROM DUSK TIL DAWN was about--his reaction was priceless.

4. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

5. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Just because the idea came from Stephen King does not automatically make it good. Honestly, Patton Oswalt's ideas sound more interesting.

Jason is supposed to be the slasher movie villain lurking in the shadows. He doesn't need the exposition.

Also, it's been over a decade since the last movie. We need a solid back-to-basics entry before they start trying to get cute or "high concept".

Horrorphilly, Myron Breck and Natas like this.
  6. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I don't think we need another horror character made more realistic and from their point of view. I need to get going with my Friday the 13th version. It's good. I still don't have a big stunt like in Friday the 13th Part 6 with the scene in my avatar. I kind of don't know if I need one. It's one of those things I'm still thinking about.

7. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I can't say I like King's idea very much to be honest. The remake tried to give logical reasons for things and ruined the formula. We know what drives Jason anyway so we already have his perspective on things. I know he's talking about a book but fans want a new film. We just need a good cast of likable characters, no tunnels or kidnapping (unless it's a rape as I could see Jason wanting to fuck more than I can him taking prisoners/hostages), a good score and some gratuitous nudity and we should have a winner.

8. Zombie Dude

I watched the first 3 films over the weekend. I've actually never sat down to watch these in order, so it's a first for me.

I've never cared a great deal for the original film. Its music is definitely a highlight and the characters aren't too bad. They're all fairly likable. Also the jump scare at the end is still awesome and definitely another highlight. I think for me the killer aspect is a bit of a letdown here. I've never cared for Pamela as the killer. She's just a bit on the boring side. A lot of the has to do with her looking completely normal. I get what they were going for but I've just never liked it that much.

Moving onto Part 2 I will say this ones one of my favorites. This one has some of my favorite characters. I love the cute little love fling with one of the girls and the handicap guy. I love looking at the chick in the super short shorts lol. I think Ginny is a really great lead. I love that the lore is built up and the idea of Jason seeing his mum get the chop. The killer POV shots and shots of feet stepping up to people, or a hand raising some sort of weapon above an unsuspecting victim is awesome too.
    All that aside I have to say it seem very apparent that this film got chopped up in the cutting room. Things move along almost too quickly at times. The end seems like a jumbled mess. Some kills are extremely short or cut up weird. Lots of things like that that really bring the movie down a notch for me.
    This is one film I'd really love to see restored to whatever it originally was.

Now Part 3 I always remembered having a good time with. Upon this revisit I found it was definitely the worst of the first 3. The first half of the movie is pretty boring. No ones at camp here, no ones setting up a new camp near Crystal Lake, hell the lake itself looks more like a pond. Then you have the terrible music that makes this entry seem even more gimmicky than it already is. It's terrible and cartoony. Why they didn't stick with the original score is beyond me. The cast is mostly boring and awful too.

Now the film does pick up in the second half when Jason finally dons his iconic mask and gets to killing. There's one shot where he's got Rick in a choke hold beside ones of the cabins while Chris stands on the porch calling out for him that I really love. Like it's one of the best shots in any of these movies for me.
    Then there's a shot I like with Jason trying to grab Chris while she's jumping out of a window in the cabin. Some really neat shots like that are scattered around. Really though, apart from that there's isn't much going for this entry. I found it to be the worst of the first 3 films which actually surprised me.

ImmortalSlasher and Natas like this.
  9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Part 3 is where they moved to Hollywood, and it shows.

The first two have such a unique atmosphere that a lot of the sequels lack. Especially part 1, which is why it's one of my favorites.

Matt89 and wago70 like this.
  10. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I love discussing these flicks. Never gets old.

I actually appreciate each entry more and more as the years pass.

Part 3 is goofy and gimmicky but I love every minute!!

Myron Breck likes this.
  11. wago70

It's true - the first two films were filmed in lush, green and woodsy east coast locations. Part 3 is filmed in the dry, drought-ridden hills of Southern Cal. - the location shift is jarring. Even the film looks dry, lol.

12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I really can't watch part 2 due to the cuts it feels most jarring and ruins any enjoyment I can get. I used to feel the same about Part 7 but now I've seen the workprint gore my mind fills in the blanks so to speak, I can't do that with part 2.

1 and 6 are my favourites, I just love the look for both of them. Obviously 1 has the gore!

I recently revisited part 3 and there was enjoyment to be had for me, it's a little cheesy but fun, however the bit were Jason is running out the house towards the lake at the end without his mask on I find genuinely creepy, his make up and expressions really make me uncomfortable more menacing to me than him hockey masked up.

13. Zombie Dude

Ah that does explain a bit then. Part 3 definitely felt a lot more like a set than on location. I have to add that it's also the worst looking of the films transfer wise. The transfer looks soft a lot of the time and seems to feel like Vaseline has been smeared around the edges of the frame for others. I started watching The Final Chapter late last night and it's night and day difference with how much better that film looks. Hell ever the first two films look a hell of a lot better than part 3 does.

While it sucks that part 2 feels choppy at times due to the cuts, it's still a highlight of the franchise for me and I can't imagine not wanting to revisit it again. Part 7 was chopped up pretty bad. I've been able to enjoy that one in the part but the sleeping bag death stands out like a sore thumb that it was cut. What's left is extremely underwhelming.

Honestly I don't find the original film all that gory. I think I've become pretty desensitized to it though.

I did watch part 6 recently and it's grown of me again. Pretty good characters in that one but I do really hate the look of Jason. It's mainly the gloves and utility belt. They don't fit the character well at all imo.

As for part 3, I also think the ending is pretty effective and definitely memorable. It just sucks that the lake looks like a pond. It still shocks me that the same director for part 2 made this film because it definitely doesn't feel as atmospheric and doesn't flow well from the ending of 2 going into 3. Even the characters of 3 feel fake in comparison to the rather believable characters of part 2.

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I don't like Part 3 at all. I do think the best part in 3, is that mentioned scene near the end where the girl is calling for the guy and the camera pans to show Jason has him. That is one of the top shots in the whole series. But other than that and the music, I don't have much need for Part 3. Same for Part 4, which has that great scene with the girl jumping out the window. And a few good kills. But I don't enjoy the overall movie like I do with my favorites.

My favorites in the series are Part 2, 6, 7, 8, and Jason X. I like Freddy vs Jason for the opening and humor but that movie is more Nightmare on Elm Street than Friday the 13th. I only recently started to enjoy Part 7 in the last few years.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

As I noted earlier about my feelings for part 2, with regards to the rest of the series, 5 and 8 I can do without. I've watched them both recently and found both awful.

16. Zombie Dude

So late last week I went back to revisit The Final Chapter. I've had this weird sort of love hate relationship with the film in the past but found it to be one of the best entries in the franchise this time around. Jason's look is phenomenal. Out of all his looks, this is probably my favorite. A lot of his kills are really great here too, like the lake kill, someone being grabbed and pulled out a window to their death, cleaver in the face, head crushed against wall etc. Some pretty gnarly stuff here. Also Jason's hand being split and his very gruesome demise are a highlight.
    The characters in this one are better than I've given them credit for in the past, especially when revisiting some other entries and seeing how terrible a lot of those characters are handled. So it was a nice surprise sitting down with this entry again.

Now I had actually seen parts 5 and 6 not long before I started going through these from the first Friday. With part 5 I found myself loosing interest on and off. It has some pretty terrible characters that takes me back to the average quality of the 3rd film. Now I always hear that this entry has one of the larger body counts but for the most part all the good stuff is off screen and what we're left with is kind of lame and generic, especially after the 4th films gory kills. Now dream/vision Jason is neat in this entry. They got his look pretty close and it looks pretty good here the few times we see him. Roy as the killer is pretty lame though. It's poorly setup and it's not like you feel anything for him once it's revealed why he did it. I do like the atmosphere of the final sequence with it raining at night at the barn. Ultimately I feel like this ones an easy one to skip past.

Now Part 6 is another entry I've found myself having a love hate relationship with. I find the more comedic tone of this entry can be hard to adjust to but if you just roll with it you're likely to have a good time. Now with Jason's look, I don't totally hate it because it's pretty similar to his classic one, but those gloves and utility belt have never worked for me and make him look more stupid than if they had just omitted them.
    The kills here are much better than the 5th entry because while they're not all gory, Jason is there in full view most of the time which adds something more visually interesting then just seeing ominous hands with weapons coming down on victims. I also appreciate this entry actually has a newly opened camp with kids finally and the characters here hold more interest to me than those of 5. I particularly enjoy the sheriffs daughter who is both fun and smart.

Now on the weekend I went and popped on The New Blood which was a favorite of mine and let me tell you that it didn't hold up at all. This particular entry feels like everything was planned around having the kills take center stage, so with pretty much all of it cut (seriously, this has to be one of, if not the tamest entry in the franchise) it has very little to offer. The characters here are pretty bad, serving the kill count only for the most part. My favorite character was probably Robin has she has a super cute smile and seemed fun. The lead Tina is a real drag who is mostly crying and freaking out during the run time. She displays little strength outside of her telekinesis for a final girl. Now some of those moments with her powers are fun, like Jason being electrocuted in a puddle and when she cracks the mask in two on his face, but ultimately I feel like this aspect of the film could easily be written out with similar results.
    Now for a long time I would have said this is my favorite look for Jason but I really wasn't feeling it this time around. He looks like something out of Creepshow and the whole thing comes of more as a generic monster. That also brings me to Kane Hodder. I really am not sure why some fans froth over him as Jason. The most I can say is he breaths well in costume...lol. He's in some of the worst entries in this franchise and I don't think offers a whole lot more than what we'd already gotten from other actors.

Anyway, for now I'll leave it there. Not sure I'll be in a hurry to check out part 8 as I really don't like it. JGTH I would like to revisit but I can't find a HD copy of the unrated cut to download while I wait for a legit release.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

While it isn't HD you can still view the unrated version on DVD, VHS, and laserdisc.

18. wago70

Part 4 has its pluses for sure. THAT INTRO!!!! I just love that intro especially when you hear Chris say "...you CAN'T be alive!!!" before the title sequence starts. I, too, have a love/hate relationship with it - ever since the original release. I love Manfredini's music and it's pretty consistent throughout. The location is very nice, steps up from Part 3's dusty locale. I never liked when Gordon goes through that window - the timing is off to me (Slow motion?? Really??) and the music just doesn't go with it. I liked the murder of one of the twins - the window sequence was good but I had already seen that stunt done much better in 1981's "LOOKER". Jason getting his hand hacked by Trish was good...until he holds up his wounded hand and it looks oddly mechanical and the fingers are spread too far apart. When I first saw this I thought Trish had hacked a few fingers off but no...
    It's a fun film but the kills are cut away to quickly. I've always hated that "squishy" liquid sound when Crispin Clover's character gets hacked in the face and then the cut-away seemed too abrupt. It took me a long time to eat bananas after seeing that poor hitchhiker get it. :eek::D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  19. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I've been saying for years. I would like to see a new entry for Friday the 13th. Using the Camp Crystal Lake local .... but a winter scene. Starring Kane Hodder is a must. Imagine a breathing Jason in cold weather visual.

hots4, othervoice1 and Natas like this.
  20. wago70

That could work very nicely.