47 Meters Down (2017, Shark Horror)

Discussion in 'General' started by Workshed, May 16, 2017.

1. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

The world makes sense again lol could have sworn it was R.

2. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Wow, just saw this and I have to agree 100% with bigdaddyhorse. No real suspense, no gore, not even any sex or nudity. The characters behave so incredibly stupid it's hard to care about their predicament. And I'm no scuba diver but even common sense tells you there are a lot of flaws in the basic premise of the story. Save your money and wait for Netflix or a free download.

And PS, I actually found a copy of the recalled DVD at Target last year but never watched it. I don't even think I could sit through it again to see if there are any differences.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Has there really been a good shark movie since Jaws?
    Sure I found Jaws 2 to be pretty entertaining, but after that, nothing.

I really gave up after watching Shallows, which was yet another boring movie, with a stupid character doing stupid things.

Why can't they make a new shark movie, with characters that actually has some personality, and you care about?

That´s what made Jaws so great. It wasn't the shark itself, it was the characters.
    They felt like real people, that you got to know. So when they got stuck in the boat at the end, you really fucking cared about them.

These new movies, just throw one dimensional characters into the sea after just a few minutes, and then it's just 90 minutes of the shark circulating around them, waiting for the next idiot to fall into the water.

[​IMG]

4. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I liked Deep Blue Sea quite a bit. Not Jaws-level quality but it was fun in a Tremors/tongue-in-cheek kind of way.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  5. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was literally thinking Deep Blue Sea is one of the only other shark movies that I find enjoyable enough that I'd buy it.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Damn, I actually forgot about that one. Probably been 10-12 years since I last saw it.
    But I agree, it was a lot of fun.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

There is a movie out now called Planet of the Sharks which looks like it could be really over the top fun. I think it's on Prime now. Still a solid chance it sucks but I think I'm gonna give it a chance soon.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

What is the gif from? I've watched that all the way through about 15 times now.

9. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Still haven't seen The Shallows but hope to catch it this summer. I really enjoyed The Reef a few years ago and you've all got to see Ghost Shark the next time it airs on SyFy. It is absolutely bafuckingnanas!

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The Shallows was ok for one viewing.

I did have fun watching Ghost Shark given its absurdity. Recommended for its SyFy Network vibe.

11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Deep Blue Sea is just fun, certainly not award worthy but a damn good time.
    The Reef was pretty solid.
    Shark Attack 3: Megalodon is pure B-movie cheesy awesomeness.
    Shark Night grows on me more with every viewing an I think it will be a cult classic down the road. Again, not even close to a good movie, but again, lots of fun (and I hated it the first time).
    Bait is decent.

So yeah. I guess The Reef could possibly be called good. Other than that, just look for fun. Fun is out there, good shark movies aren't.

chancetx likes this.
  12. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Hmmm, I guess I should watch it again. I hated it on first viewing too, probably because I paid full price plus 3D markup (nearly $20 total) to see it on the big screen. It was almost in so-bad-it's-good territory so I should give it another chance. The end-credits music video is a good indication no one was taking it too seriously (though I initially worried it was to launch Dustin Milligan as the next white boy rap artist. :eek:) Given the backwater redneck meets shark attack storyline, though, I think they should have gone hard-R exploitation style with much more sex and violence.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I thought Shark Night 3D was a lot of fun on the big screen, but didn't hold up as well the second time at home.

14. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If it would've hard R, it would already be a classic! If an unrated cut that would be rated R existed, it would be a classic. They definitely missed the boat on this one, probably trying to grab some teen 3D money. At least Piranha 3D got it right, that's why it's already a classic (in my book at least).

chancetx and Natas like this.