5 Freddy VS. Jason Clips

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Paul0889, Jul 27, 2003.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

The Shape, that is some smart thinking, true or not. Not that it would make me miss Kane any the less (I like him as Jason a lot), but at least that is better than the BS they were spreading that made me worry about the very direction of the movie. Taller? Thinner? Poetic Eyes? No thanks. I would rather think that they just did it for the money.

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well guys, I have seen IT.

Just got back from Indianapolis, so I'm a little tired. However, I'll give you guys the spoiler-free review, while the experience is still fresh on my mind.

First of all...the ending WAS attached to the film, but that is all I will say about that.

At the start of the screening, the radio station who was in charge of it tossed a few FvsJ t-shirts out to the audience. Unfortunately, I didn't get one. They were of a pattern that I haven't seen before. One side had Freddy standing (from the teaser poster artwork) with a paragraph or so describing him next to it. On the back, Jason (also from the teaser artwork) with a similar paragraph describing him. I've never seen these shirts before, and I wish i could've gotten one. We were even first in line at the theater. However, we sat in the middle of the theater, and the shirts didn't make it up that high. Ah well.

Now, about the movie...

In my summation, Freddy vs. Jason is flawed...but every bit the movie we all wanted/expected. I smiled at certain moments in this movie like I haven't smiled at a movie in ages.

Freddy's moments are classic. He's dark. He's scary. He's still funny, but the funny moments are done with a darker edge. An edge that was missing from Nightmares 4-6.

Jason was an absolute killing machine in this one. I miss Kane's "breathing" thing, but Ken's Jason truly felt like Jason. I loved the stuff they did involving his backstory.

Oh, and in case any of you were afraid it'd be relatively bloodless due to the fact that nothing was cut out by the MPAA, think again. There is more blood in this movie than pretty much any other mainstream movie of the past 20 years. I would use the terms "splatter movie" and "bloodbath" to describe Freddy vs. Jason. Gorehounds will NOT be disappointed. None of the kills were lazy. They all belong on highlight reels of both series'. I would go so far as to say that this is the bloodiest of either series. Yes, counting the uncut Jason Goes To Hell as well. It's THAT bloody.

The fight scenes were better than I thought they'd be. Let me tell you, these two guys go at it tooth and nail. They don't hold anything back whatsoever. Great stuff.

Despite my fears to the contrary, Graeme Revell's score was very impressive. Most fans will get chills during the New Line Cinema logo music. I know I did.

I think that covers everything non-spoilery that you guys would want to know. Now, I guess I should discuss the few problems I had with the film (also non-spoiler).

Though the acting bar was never really raised particularly high in the Friday series, the Elm Streets all had decent acting. The acting in Freddy vs. Jason is mostly very, very subpar. One scene of bad acting in particular...involving a father and a son...felt like something you'd see on an after-school special, only with the actors reading cue-cards and using the word "fuck". Surprisingly, Kelly Rowland is probably one of the better actors in the film.

Also, the film's pace was a little brisk. I think they could've slowed things down a moment or two to explain things more, or to just give more time in general. Things get figured out entirely too quickly in the movie. While realism is a petty thing to complain about in a flick such as this, the speedy pace seemed to hinder the plot a little. I liked that the film went by quickly and that there was pretty much no 'downtime', but I wonder if its pace was a little too quick?

Those are really the only major problems I had with the movie. To those wondering if it's better than Jason X or Halloween: Resurrection...it's 100 million times better than both of them, and you can quote me on that.

For the most part, the crowd really seemed to have a good time with the film. Although, not sold out (which surprised me), the theater was very crowded. People laughed at all the appropriate times, groaned and said "EWWW!" at all the appropriate times, and jumped at all the appropriate times. Though, I have to admit that in the men's room afterward, my friend said he overhead two guys talking about how it was "the worst movie I've ever seen." This really didn't surprise me though. The way the film is set up, it pretty much won't win over many new fans to either series, but the existing fans will absolutely eat it up. It's a fan movie, through and through.

I can't wait to see this one again, and again, and again. I also can't wait to hear what you guys have to say. Very glad I got a chance to see an advanced screening (my first ever, and what a film to have that experience with!)

3. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

sounds fucking awesome!!!! i can't wait for next weekend. i have a quick question, do they explain how Freddy or Jason escape from hell? or do they just magically appear (so of how they did in Freddy's Dead and Jason Goes to Hell)?

4. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

It's pretty much explained, but they don't really use the word "Hell" except for once.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

thanks Wes!

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

And...
    It's not really spelled out for you, either. It's not like they say "when last we saw Freddy and Jason..." or say "this happened after such and such movie." Things are more inferred. You put the pieces together yourself, sort of. I guess they did this so non-fans wouldn't feel alienated.

7. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

An early screening in Indy! :cry: I wish I knew...

8. Ichi

Ichi Guest

I bet the movie is gonna be OK, nothing special. Just cheap entertainment. That's Ronny for ya.