8 Films To Die For (October 16th)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Oct 14, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This Friday, After Dark Films will be releasing another set of 8 Films To Die For.

I really loved catching these on the big screen for the first two years. First year I managed to see everything except The Abandoned, which ended up getting a wide release a few months later and I was able to catch it then. Second year I saw everything except for Unearthed and Crazy Eights. After that, they stopped playing theatrically around here. The quality really started dropping off around year three anyway.

This year... I have to say, a lot of these movies look pretty terrible. But it'd still be fun to catch them on the big screen. It's only playing in 11 theaters, but all movies will be released on VOD platforms same day.

One of the theaters is about an hour away, so I might try to go for a day and see what I can catch. They used to play three movies per day and rotate them. I think the slasher ones, like Lumberjack Man and Suspension, are the ones that are of most interest to me, so maybe I'll try to catch it on a day those are playing. Could be fun. We'll see what happens...

Anyway, the movies are:

Re-Kill

It’s been 5 years since the outbreak that wiped out 85% of the world’s population, but the war between Re-Animates (Re-Ans) and Humans wages on. Most of the major cities are still uninhabitable. Within the few surviving cities, the Re-Ans have been segregated into “zones” and are policed by the R-Division of the QUASI S.W.A.T. Unit who hunt to re-kill the Re-Ans in the hope of quelling a second outbreak.

Murder In The Dark

When a group of young people camping in the ruins of a medieval Turkish town play a party game called 'Murder in the Dark', they soon discover that someone is taking the game too far...' Produced in an experimental shooting style, this murder-mystery features a cast of actors who were not allowed to see the script. The actors' choices interactively changed the shape of the story. They had to use clues to solve the mystery laid out before them by the filmmakers.

The Wicked Within

When a little girl dies, her family gathers to mourn the loss. Yet the pain is not forgotten and a vengeful demon spirit takes possession of a vulnerable family member tearing at the ties that bind them all together. One by one, it forces each family member to confess to their buried lies and face the morbid consequences of their sins.

Lumberjack Man

As the staff of Good Friends Church Camp prepares for a spring break filled with "Fun Under the Son", a demon logger rises from his sap boiler to wreak his vengeance and feast on flapjacks soaked in the blood of his victims.

Suspension

Emily is a high-school student with a penchant for drawing gruesome pictures in her sketchbook. There's a reason for her obsession with horrific images: Her father Tom once went on a murder spree and is now residing in a mental hospital. On a night she's home alone babysitting her mute little brother, Tom escapes and targets Emily and her friends during a bloody killing rampage.

Unnatural

A morally ambiguous corporation experiments with genetic modification resulting in the creation of a man hunting creature. When it escapes, a group of unsuspecting cabin dwellers become its prey in a horrifying game of cat and mouse.

Bastard

Five strangers - newlywed serial killers, a suicidal cop, and two runaways - become suspect and victim when a masked murderer makes its presence known in an isolated mountain town.

Windwalkers

A U.S. solider returns from captivity to find that his friend and fellow former POW has gone AWOL. While out on an annual hunting trip with his friend’s father and some extended family his group comes under attack by an ancient Native American curse that has mysterious connections to his friends Native heritage and the prison in which they were held.

Trailers and theater info here: http://www.8filmstodiefor.com

maskull likes this.
  2. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I didn't even know they were still doing the 8 Films To Die For. I'll definitely check em out. Not all will be great but I'm sure there will be a couple worth watching. A post apocalyptic, a couple of slashers and a creature feature. Sounds good!

3. CPT HOOK

I'm gonna try and go on Tuesday, make an entire day of it. The theater is playing 5 movies per day with 1 showing each, and the movies alternate daily, so looks like the ones showing on Tuesday will be:

Lumberjack Man
    Unnatural
    Bastard
    Wind Walkers
    Suspension

Not sure yet if I'll stay for all five. The matinees are only $5, so I'll definitely do those.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw these in the theater for the first four runs but after that they stopped getting wide releases and I've had to seek them out on DVD. I'm happy that they've brought the series back, I just wish they played more widely. The original Horrorfest lineup broke into the top 10 weekly box office grossers when they were released. Sadly it seems home viewing is all they are concerned with nowadays.

5. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I've pretty much given up on After Dark Films since they've pretty much flamed out over the last few years despite dumping several titles straight to dvd. The only thing here I'm really looking forward to is "Re-Kill" which has been sitting on the shelf for a few years now.

6. CPT HOOK

Wow, I guess Fox is dumping all of these onto DVD only (no blu-ray) on October 27th, less than two weeks from now. Given that they'll be available so quickly, I'm wondering if it's even worth venturing out to the theater for? Then again, none of these really look like anything I need to own, especially in standard definition, so might as well get a fun day at the theater out of it.

We'll see what happens, but for now I'm still planning on going.

7. CPT HOOK

Unfortunately, I didn't get to go Tuesday, but did go Wednesday. The lineup was:
    Re-Kill
    Murder In The Dark
    The Wicked Within
    Lumberjack Man
    Unnatural

Wasn't a huge fan of the first three, but I'm glad I stuck around because the last two were worth it. I may elaborate tomorrow when I'm slightly more awake.

8. CPT HOOK

Belated response, but here's what I thought of the movies I saw Wednesday:

[​IMG]

Re-Kill - This one was a "found-footage" flick, mimicking a Cops-like reality show set after the zombie apocalypse, complete with commercial breaks every 5 minutes, bleeped out cursing, and blurred nudity. The camera was so shaky during the action scenes, it's nearly impossible to tell what is going on. And since all the characters are dressed in identical military outfits, you can't really tell who is getting killed until a few minutes later when a Hunger Games-esque "KILLED IN ACTION" screen pops up. Plus, it doesn't go anywhere. Can't say I was a fan.

[​IMG]

Murder In The Dark - I'm super easy when it comes to slasher movies, so it's always a little painful when I see one I don't like. I guess you could describe this one as an experimental mumblecore whodunit slasher movie. Basically, it was improved as the actors weren't allowed to see the script and none of them knew who the killer was until it was revealed. Which might be a lot of fun if you're making the film or an actor in it, just a fun acting exorcise. But as a viewer, it's not especially fun to watch. None of the actors were very interesting and the kills are dry. Again, can't say I was a fan.

[​IMG]

The Wicked Within - Possession movies are one of my least favorite subgenres, and while this wasn't a terrible one, it was completely unremarkable in every way. It did have a little bit of a body count (mostly offscreen and the other characters find the bodies), so I can't say the entire movie was nothing but a crazy possessed girl tied to a chair. To be honest, it's only two days later and I can't even remember how the movie ended. I want to say there's some twist in there at the end, but I honestly can't remember. I guess if you're into that sort of thing, it's not a terrible watch, but I'm not so again... wasn't a fan.

After three duds in a row, I was ready to duck out at this point. But as a slasher movie junkie, Lumberjack Man was easily my most anticipated of the 8 films (with Suspension coming in second), so with that coming up next, I knew there was no way I was leaving.

[​IMG]

Lumberjack Man - This was just good, cheesy slasher movie fun that totally hit the spot for me. And given how quaint the trailers looked, I was really surprised by the amount of breasts on display throughout. I'm sure it's way too goofy for a lot of horror fans, even some slasher movie devotees, but I fully expected that going in. The killer is a demonic lumberjack who hauls around a wagon full of giant pancakes, so it'd be ridiculous to expect Halloween. But for anyone who can sit back and enjoy the cheesy charms of Miner's Massacre, Spirit Camp, or Axe Giant, this is definitely one to check out. I thought it was a hoot.

[​IMG]

Unnatural - Wasn't expecting much out of this one, but it ended up being a nice surprise and a decent ending to the day. James Remar owns a remote Alaskan lodge and is playing host to a photographer, his assistant, and two bikini models there for a photo shoot. Meanwhile, a giant genetically modified polar bear escapes from a nearby research lab, and a doctor played by Sherilyn Fenn heads out to find it. Considering they threw a couple of bikini models into the mix, this was surprisingly calm and non-exploitative. The polar bear is shown as little as possible, only when necessary, keeping it from being overexposed. The movie establishes there's a killer polar bear on the loose, then quietly bides it's time until the bear's big siege on the lodge. I dug it, a welcome and surprisingly mature departure from the goofy CGI SyFy creature features of late.

Wish I had been able to catch Tuesday's line-up, as I'd really like to see Suspension, but I'm glad I got to go at all. I might give that a rent this weekend, as it looks like the VOD fees for these are only $3.99 for HD. Then again, I'm kind of knee deep in Halloween viewings and the DVDs are already being released on Tuesday. I should probably just grab the DVD, but the hi-def snob in me is thinking I should just rent it now and if I like it, wait and see if Germany releases a blu-ray. We'll see what happens...

Workshed and fceurich39 like this.
  9. CPT HOOK

Now that October and all the essential seasonal viewing is out of the way, I spent last night catching up with the two slasher movies I missed:

[​IMG]

Suspension - Next to Lumberjack Man, this was the one I was most anticipating, and I have to say I was just a little disappointed. I'm a sucker for all things slasher movie, so I found the movie entirely watchable, but completely unremarkable. Pacing was a bit too slow, kills were fairly generic (stab, repeat, stab, repeat), characters were poorly written and unlikable, and the lead actress gives a cringe-worthy performance. The twist ending is a real eye-roller, and is completely given away by an awkward line reading about 5 minutes into the movie. There were a few fun chase scenes and decent atmosphere to satisfy the slasher fan in me, but I can't say it's one I'd recommend.

[​IMG]

Bastard - This, on the other hand, was a real nice surprise. The plot is as straight-forward a slasher movie plot as they come, but it's presented with a quirkiness and a wicked sense of humor that totally worked for me. A lot of the characters are unlikable, but unlike most modern obnoxious slasher movie characters, they're unlikable in really interesting ways that keep you invested. In fact, I found myself liking them in a weird way (especially Hannah and West). The kills are suitably gory and fun. Just a neat and twisted little slasher flick. Unless Wind Walkers completely blows me away, this is by far my favorite of this year's 8 Films.

Still need to rent Wind Walkers, which I'm planning to do in the next few days. After that, I'll have seen all 8.

10. CPT HOOK

For anyone who hasn't gotten around to these yet:

Re-Kill was just added to NetFlix streaming
    Lumberjack Man and Unnatural are airing frequently on the Showtime networks

I still need to see Wind Walkers, so hopefully that will hit Showtime or Netflix sometime in the near future.

maskull likes this.
  11. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Thanks for the heads up on Re-Kill. Turns out it's even available on the Canadian Netflix.

12. CPT HOOK

In case anyone is interested, you can currently grab these for $10.75 each from DVDPlanet with coupon code HOP.

I picked up the slashers (Bastard, Lumberjack Man, Suspension). If you're a slasher fan, I'd highly recommend Bastard.

Keep in mind, these are DVD-R discs. They also have the Fox / MGM DVD-R catalogue on sale for the same price. Many of these make their way to blu-ray though, so buyer beware. I grabbed The Immortalizer because I love it and I'm sick of waiting. Thought about getting Mom, but I have it on VHS.