88 Films Classic Slasher Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 16, 2014.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

OFFERINGS

[​IMG]

loutoad23 and Katatonia like this.
  2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I suspect 88 Films might be releasing Lustig's Maniac. They posted the trailer and the following text on November 2nd:

I commented that if they were planning to release it, it would need a fresh scan, as the Blue Underground transfer is problematic. They responded that it was approved by the director. I pointed out the black crush and the noise reduction, the evidence of digital noise, the scene where the image briefly stutters, and they again went: "The image approved by the director though??" ...and quite frankly, why go to all the trouble of defending someone else's technically imperfect image if you weren't planning on using it yourself? I don't know, I may be overanalysing, but I don't care: If Dario Argento had approved the noisy, prickly image on Arrow's first release of Tenebre, I wouldn't be impressed either. The transfer on BU's Maniac Blu-ray is more than seven years old, and I've seen Blu-rays of movies shot on 16 mm since with better black levels and more natural grain structure since. Am I just being difficult?

russweiss, Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Zombie Dude and Kim Bruun like this.
  4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

That was the exact example I used. Look at Caroline Munro's hair in the DVD. You can see the light bouncing off it. On the Blu-ray? No such thing. Just a weird, dark grey smear.

I hope others will help talk the 88 guys out of using this transfer. IMO it doesn't deserve a second life on Blu-ray. Once was bad enough.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nope. "Director Approve" should not go so far as what buttons should be hit when configuring a master for the on disc transfer. Compression levels, white levels, black levels, peak audio levels, all these are technical settings that are not artistic decisions. Yeah you can play around with them for artistic reasons, but that's the exception that proves the rule. There is an agreed upon "black" and agreed upon "white" levels set by the industry. When Sony, or Samsung, or LG, etc., sets their diodes whites on their TV screens they expect them to be a certain value. If you don't follow it you'll get dark gray instead (or if you really fuck up a light gray).

There's no logical or artistic reason why the blacks and whites should be crushed in Maniac. Lustig has proven time and time again this past decade to be literally blind with the poor craftsmanship of the transfers dribbling out from Blue Underground. He was getting shaky towards the end of DVD's reign with improved SD technology and HD has only magnified the issues without any sign of improvement.

I'd rather seem him go back to making movies (provided the final video details are left to the DP) and leave his library of enviable titles for distributors who at least have enough sense to hits the right buttons. I'll pay to see Uncle Sam 2. I won't pay to see another BU release.

6. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Def never thought I'd see this one on blu

7. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

If they are releasing it, I think the hysteria continues are doing a commentary for it. They posted on facebook that they were recording one for an 88 films release, this would make sense.

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

That just a ridiculous response from 88Films. Anyone who's seen that Bluray should know it's far from perfect and that it looks washed out and inferior to the DVD. I'm actually shocked.

Kim Bruun and Steel76 like this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Katatonia likes this.