88 Films Classic Slasher Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 16, 2014.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I think it's fun in a homegrown midwestern horror way, but if you're expecting a killer clown slasher then you're mistaken.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

3. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah you're not missing anything. Tired watching it once and found it really boring. Easy pass.

Steel76 likes this.
  4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I liked it enough to buy it next time I put in an order on the 88 site, but then I enjoy most older slashers and try to collect any that come out. Be careful reading that review above, it's been a few years since I've seen it and my memory isn't great, but the screenshots seem to show a lot of the movie.

5. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I finally received my 88 blu-ray of Blood Harvest yesterday. Just as the dvdcompare review & the Englishman who sold me my copy said. It is in fact region All! Played on both of my USA locked players. Hooray!

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

So here's the word on the Blood Harvest fiasco from Bill Rebane himself who is claiming any release other than the one he's working on (through VCI) is unauthorized, and who also claims the movie is now forever retitled "Nightmare" (and the Incredible Tiny Tim Side Show) : http://billrebanenews.com/1280-2/

"The movie title; Blood Harvest no longer exists and will be pulled off the global market place.. The new title: ” Nightmare” and the incredible Tiny Tim side show. It’s a whopper . 3 1/2 hours ( 3 discs HD) with a ton of extras and new materials. Available only from Independent Artists Pictures and VCI Entertainment. The piracy and illegal claims by third parties have made it impossible to keep track of and deal with the illegal marketers who have released it prior and profited from it. The new special set will be available after April 1. For further information and pre orders write to bake@centurytel.net or ordering special signed copies."

7. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

^^^ LOL, that's hilarious. There always seems to be some problem with Bill Rebane and the licensing of his films.

I received Blood Harvest (and Alice, Sweet Alice) from 88 Films earlier today. :)

We can trust that any future VCI release will of course suck... given their DNR obsession and poor encoding.

Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I heard of another company who also has the rights (although I can't say who). Was expecting a US release from them.

9. Katatonia

...which probably means a US release is a ways off into the future. Bill Rebane always seems to hold up a release when there are disputed rights/licensing issues like this.

The 88 films release is pretty nice. Transfer is quite grainy, but looks pretty decent. The bonus features look quite extensive, including close to 2 hours in total of original behind-the-scenes footage.

Dobby likes this.
  10. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Oh balls, does that mean I missed out on the 88 Films release? Also is Bill Rebane saying the super long retitled version of the movie will be 3 1/2 hours long? Because that's ridiculous. Is it a joke or is he mental?

chancetx likes this.
  11. Katatonia

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing it will probably be made available again at some point, but the fact that it's disappeared from both Amazon UK and the 88 website is almost surely the result of the licensing dispute...or whatever it is.

Dobby and chancetx like this.
  12. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

13. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Thanks, I emailed them from your link. It's not a huge want, but I did plan on buying it and don't want to have to settle for Bill's 3-hour cut of a movie that barely works at less than 90 minutes. I've missed out on this and the Alice Sweet Alice preorder now waiting for Black Magic 2 to become available.

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

As I saw someone else post on the topic: "Insane in the Rebane."

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Thanks for the info!! I'm eager to see this re-cut version! I could sit through 6 hours of never-before-seen footage re-edited into a longer story. Even if it sucks. The 88films controversy looks fake to me now. They didn't REALLY stop selling it. Just the normal way of selling stopped. And Bill Rebane's outcry of forever after not Blood Harvest words surely sound like "buy 88's now, while you still can". Not offended. It does my heart good to see this movie get some extra forced attention out there. I'll always love this one. It's accidently amazing!

Added: Could he mean Nightmare/The Incredible Tiny Tim Sideshow as a double feature equalling 3 1/2 hours together? That sounds accurate to what the film & features would run together on the 88 films blu. The behind the scenes footage reveals the story of the authentic looking circus coat Marvelous Mervo wears/Tiny Tim's ventures which led to Bill Rebane. Great stuff! "buy 88's now, while you still can"

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    x666x likes this.
  16. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree with gunner. This reminds me of the string of half assed releases other labels put out and rush us into buying it because it is limited. A year later, same label releases a better version because they all of a sudden found new elements. Don't sweat it. A better version of Blood Harvest will come out if not more of the same release.

17. Katatonia

Why is it a half ass release? It's a pretty good transfer, even has optional English subtitles, 2+ hours of bonus features, a reversible cover, plus a booklet. I just don't see how that's some cheap, rushed or "more of the same" release.

They never advertised the release as "limited" either, just the direct Slip Cover was limited.

Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

No no! I do not mean anything is wrong with this release. I just mean a lot of these releases from other labels seem to be limited or in this case, fall out of circulation for some reason but will be back and often "new and improved" , so don't go out and spend $100 for it. If you got it for retail, that is awesome! Congrats!

I do not have this release despite wanting it. Also never heard anyone say anything particularLy great about this movie, either. That is why I put it off. So, by the sounds of it, it is not a must have and I just have to keep my collector tendencies in check. Vinegar Syndrome is already doing a number on my credit card right now as it is ;)

I still have to try before I buy with Blood Harvest. So it will suck now if I end up liking it and it is still oop.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Katatonia likes this.
  19. Katatonia

Oh okay, sorry I just misunderstood ya. ;)

Well, granted it's not really that great of a movie or anyone spending big bucks on it just to have it. I personally like it, but it definitely isn't worth any $100! :D

Dobby and x666x like this.
  20. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

i ordered this from Zavvi and have been getting repeated emails that it was 'delayed' so I guess it will be delayed forever!