88 Films to Launch 88 Italian Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

This isn't a trick that works with all makes and models of Blu-Ray players. My understanding is that it's limited mostly to Panasonic and some Pioneer models.

gobad2003 likes this.
  2. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Yeah, Just go region-free and a whole other world will open up to you. I did about a year ago and got the Oppo and I've never looked back but my wallets a little lighter though these days :(

3. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Ha ha, so am I, but the main player is region locked so when I get discs from other regions I'll always try them first on my locked player, if I can't get in, then, I'll get the region free player set up.

Katatonia likes this.
  4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've got my PS3 as my main player and then a region free player when necessary. Both are hooked up through the receiver so it is simply a matter of switching inputs.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I've got two players, a pS4 and Apple TV (and a Roku in a box). Running out of inputs.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVD Beaver reviews Amuck: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_75/amuck_blu-ray.htm

"Amuck is superior Giallo. It has the strong appeal of stunning Barbara Bouchet and a curiously surprising Farley Granger portrayal. It was the second of three Giallos Granger consecutively appeared in - bookended by Something Creeping in the Dark and The Red Headed Corpse. It's a darn effective mystery-murder with some sexploitation thrown in. The 88 Films Blu-ray provides an excellent, and accurate, a/v presentation with appreciated and worthwhile supplements. This is easy to put in the 'must-own' category for Giallo lovers everywhere. Very strongly recommended!"

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

DVD Beaver reviews Aenigma: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_75/aenigma_blu-ray.htm

"Aenigma indeed evokes Carrie as another cruel-school-prank revenge flic. It's has a few positives but isn't premium work from the director. I watched it - I liked it - but it lacked a style aspect, and subtle details, that would have escalated it's value in the genre - making it more memorable. The 88 Films Blu-ray provides a 1080P a/v presentation with a lengthy, valuable, documentary as a worthy supplement. There is certainly value here for fans of the director and this is recommended!"

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Rock Shock Pop reviews Beyond the Darkness: http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?6655-Beyond-The-Darkness

"Beyond The Darkness is pretty grisly stuff but it's well done with a twisted sense of black humor to it and some pretty solid performances as well. 88 Films' presents the movie on Blu-ray uncut, with multiple language options and a selection of supplements highlighted by a really interesting documentary on the film's director."

12. MorallySound

DVD Beaver reviews Syndicate Sadists: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_75/syndicate_sadists_blu-ray.htm

"Syndicate Sadists is a quintessential example of the Poliziotteschi genre of film and is not any where near as brutal as the title might suggest, although - of course - there is plenty of violence. It's well-made, very machismo and I enjoyed my viewing! Sure, - recommended!"

13. MorallySound

14. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So is the colour timing wrong on this new release or is that blue filter the dvd seems to have incorrect? The blu definitely looks nice and detailed with a pleasing image though.

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I watched the Aenigma Blu the other day, and thought it looked exceptionally nice. Although, I had never owned any previous editions of the film and really had nothing to compare it with.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. MorallySound

Having not seen the film but judging from the screen captures the colour timing appears more "correct" on the new release to a more accurate white balance. The DVD definitely has a blue tint (and not just the clearly day-for-night stuff like the snail kill on the DVD) and that all looks post processed and may not have been on the materials 88 Films used and may have also been applied specifically for the DVD transfer. If you look at this shot specifically they actually shot it with different colour lights (white and red) but on the DVD it's all post blue-filtered eliminating the lighting composition so at least when the film was shot it appears the 88 transfer is more accurate to the look of how it was shot. This isn't a director approved transfer seeing as Fulci is long gone and I obviously haven't seen the film theatrically or at all so this is only an assumption.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. MorallySound

DVD Beaver reviews Mad Dog Killer (aka Beast with a Gun) http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_75/the_mad_dog_killer_blu-ray.htm

"The 4K restored 1080P Blu-ray visuals are a giant leap beyond the 2002 SD. Colors are brighter, there is consistent, fine, grain texture visible, detail significantly rises and contrast is beautifully layered. The new HD is on a dual-layered disc with a max'ed out bitrate and, also, looks impressive in-motion."

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

COLD BLOODED BEAST (a.k.a. SLAUGHTER HOTEL):

[​IMG]

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

THE LONG HAIROF DEATH:

[​IMG]

20. MorallySound

DVDBeaver on Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_76/seven_deaths_in_a_cats_eye_blu-ray.htm

"The 88 Films Blu-ray is advertised as being a "New 2K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative". Being honest, I have no idea what this film is supposed to look like but the DVDs seem to have issues of their own, the Dagored being non-anamorphic and hazy while the Blue Underground looks boosted and very thin producing artifacts. The 88 Films image is very dark - to the point of obscuring detail but the better lit scenes (see bottom of the review) look quite good with depth and decent contrast. This is dual-layered with a max'ed out bitrate and is very smooth in-motion. The darker scenes can look greenish-blue and the visuals are very thick and heavy with warmer flash tones. I don't think the original source was in the best of condition."