88 Films to Launch 88 Italian Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Where are you guys from? I'm from the UK, so I'd expect to get it quicker than everyone else seeing as 88 films is based in the UK, I did not get a shipping notification per se, I had an indegogo email confirming there had been an update on this crowd fund and within the email it confirmed worked had been completed and discs have started to ship.

2. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm in the US. California.

3. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

No Anthro here yet. Maybe 88 took care of Europe first lol

Angelman likes this.
  4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

United States east coast.

5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

There you go, all USA, I've only had mine about a week, so on that basis, you should be getting yours through late next week.

6. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Reportedly, no new master was created: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13957377&postcount=10298

...which was to be expected.

I did go back on my original stance about not buying unless they addressed the problems of the BU release, only because I did not own that release and hadn't seen the movie.

...and I didn't find it entirely satisfying. The premise of trying to end overpopulation with a zombie plague is a fun, somewhat novel B movie idea. I don't think I've ever seen such cack-handedly inserted stock footage (including wild animals not found in New Guinea, and natives which are never seen in the same shots as the protagonists). The zombie makeup ranges from quite effective to terribly fake. These imperfections could be forgiven, and might even have been charming, if the zombie encounters had been more tightly shot and choreographed. In one scene, the reporters see the zombies for the first time and are alarmed. After an awkwardly long time of them just standing there, they make a run for it - straight through the zombies, rather than around them. Even if the zombies had been lepers, which the reporters first assumed, wouldn't it make sense to avoid physical contact? Later, a soldier daringly dances into the middle of group of undead, dodging their obviously restrained attempts at grabbing him. This scene replays later when the group finds the mansion. Both times, the scene plays out in such a stilted, artificial way that any attempt at making the zombies menacing falls flat. One is simply too aware of the zombie actors doing their darndest to look like their grabbing at the soldier but being unable to keep up with his "cat-like" speed. I did have some fun with it - more so than with Burial Ground, but not as much as with Zombi Holocaust.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. elDomenechHDG

Hell of the Living Dead is quite possibly the worst zombie movie ever for ALL the reasons Kim Bruun mentioned above. It's such a shoddily-made film that you can't help but be aware that there's a bunch of inept posers behind the camera as well as in front. Seasoned zombie fans already know going in that most of these movies are just poor clones of Dawn of the Dead but God help those newbies lol. Having said that, it's a shame that 88's release isn't from a new scan. Even bad films deserve the best treatment IMO. I'll stick with my BU disc.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  8. elDomenechHDG

My copy of Anthro just turned up. Can't check the disc out til I get home but the slip has a very soft almost velvety feel. 88 calls it "soft touch lamination" and it's supposed to be expensive. I have a few of their BDs with slips and several of them have that material so they can't be too expensive. Anyway, looking forward to spot-checking this disc out. Probably won't sit to watch the film until I replace my current failing Plasma set but it looks to be the definitive version of this minor classic.

Angelman and Steel76 like this.
  9. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My Anthropophagous blu just arrived today. That was truly a worthwhile Indiegogo campaign.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Angelman

Did everyone get their indiegogo Anthropophagous v2 disc? Mine never showed up.

D

11. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I got mine a couple weeks back.

12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Got mine maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago.

13. gobad2003

gobad2003 Active Member

Never received mine either so I e-mailed them a couple weeks back and they sent me a new one minus the slip-cover which didn't make me too happy:mad: So I e-mailed them again and they said they no more of the slip and that it was shipped out on the original order which I never received. Needless to say I'm a little peeved since I contributed to this campaign and didn't get what I was supposed to.

Hope the original shipment shows up one day but I'm not holding my breath :(

14. Angelman

That sucks. They haven't even responded to me yet.

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

DVDBeaver Blu-ray review/comparison for Watch Me When I Kill: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_79/watch_me_when_i_kill_blu-ray.htm

"Watch Me When I Kill is bona-fide, if uneven, Giallo. The 88 Films Blu-ray provides an excellent, and accurate, a/v presentation with appreciated and worthwhile supplements. This is easy to put in the 'must-see' category for Giallo lovers. Absolutely recommended!"

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Many titles from 88 Films are currently on sale at Amazon UK. Some great prices to be found at the moment from their Slasher line, Italian line, & more.