88 Films to Launch 88 Italian Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I will pick it up, nice sleeve, shame the extra's (if you can even call them that) are so poor. But as one of the postees above noted, better to have the film in HD.

I did have it on VHS, but never got to the end, it was a very poor release picture wise and it was also cut. On the 88 film site they confirm it will be uncut which is great news.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Agreed. Amazonia is my favorite "Italian" cannibal film, at least of the ones I've seen...it's not a favorite sub-genre of mine. The story itself is far richer, and like you said less mean-spirited than others.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I own both Cannibal Holocaust and Cannibal Ferox but I have to be in a VERY specific mood to really appreciate them. They are just so mean spirited, as you say.

I do love that you lauded the "far richer" Amazonia storyline.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot for Make Them Die Slowly. I actually saw that twice in the theater and while I know it isn't a good film it does bring back fond memories. It's been so long since I've seen Amazonia that I really don't recall much about it.

5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I saw Make Them Die Slowly first, as well (on VHS), it really made me uncomfortable - but in a way that imprinted on my young horror-added brain. I don't like it BUT it is the one that intro'd me to Italian Cannibal Horror.

6. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Sounds like Amazonia is one I'm going to need to check out.

7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

From a strictly artistic perspective, Cannibal Holocaust is a strong movie. Some of the tactics it employs are indeed reprehensible, but it does some clever things in terms of narrative, and the message is potently delivered. The even queasier Cannibal Ferox delivers a similar message, but it's more of an afterthought. I have both in my collection, and consider both historically interesting, but Holocaust is the only one I would consider a masterpiece. Obviously, I don't enjoy the animal stuff, and that's part of what I like about Amazonia - it will leave you feeling a little dirty but not really guilty, if that makes sense. And for what it's worth, I actually think the love story is pretty good. :)

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Your comments on Amazonia lead me to believe this may be a film I want to check out. Italian cannibal films would be a subgenre I have avoided basically. Between animal cruelty and extreme gore, I doubt this subgenre would appeal to me. I did however blind buy Deodato's Cut and Run from Code Red. Watched it for the first time and really liked it.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

EYEBALL is coming from 88 Films:

https://www.facebook.com/88FilmsOff...888771627738/2103295036353761/?type=3&theater

OK Italian horror fans... you have waited long enough...

27th August brings you more Lenzi!!

Released in 1975, EYEBALL might just be the late, great Umberto Lenzi's greatest giallo! Gruesome and gruelling, this torrid tale of a black gloved killer with a fetish for plucking out the peepers of his unlucky victims is a personal favourite of PULP FICTION genius Quentin Tarantino and it is easy to see why. Boasting plenty of bloodshed and some beautiful Catalonian locations, EYEBALL is a murder-mystery that stands up to the best of Mario Bava and Dario Argento and, with its messy arterial mayhem, even anticipates the later excess of such American slasher staples as FRIDAY THE 13TH! Dare you open your eyes to EYEBALL? This essential Italian terror totem is finally available in horrifying HD thanks to the body-count Kings at 88 Films!

This is ONLY available on Amazon for DVD pre-order at the moment but expect a MEGA future announcement on the BluRay release which will be very very special indeed. And this release will also include the new High Rising feature length documentary ALL EYES ON LENZI - a look back at the life and career of the late great genius featuring Lenzi himself and contributions from critics John Martin and Rachael Nisbet, filmmaker Scooter McCrae and more!

Angelman, russweiss and zbinks like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

11. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Great sleeve, even though technically it's impossible for his hand to show on his visor when he's arms ate clearly in the down position.

12. Kim Bruun

I would have preferred Deodato's Body Count, but I may bite on Nightmare Beach anyway. I remember being rather neutral towards it, but that cover art is indeed appealing (though illogical, as hots4 pointed out).

x666x likes this.
  13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Is that really the first thing that came to your mind when you saw that picture?

14. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Nightmare Beach is a lot of fun, I've been pretty happy with my Italian DVD but am now looking forward to seeing this in HD!

15. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

Not the first thing...

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. Kim Bruun

I find this bit perplexing:

That's all very well, but the comparison shots clearly show the Blu-ray the have less detail on the sides as well as on the top and bottom of the screen. To me, the framing is too tight on the Blu-ray based on those frame grabs. Information is lost on all four sides, and the cinematographical compositions suffer.

As for the video quality, if those frame grabs are anything to go by, I'm again less impressed than the reviewer. The overall colour tone now leans towards a drab yellow-brown, and an odd, hazy quality seems to obscure detail - look at the frame grab with the bonfire, for instance.

18. foller

foller Active Member

My thoughts exactly. The colors look off and have a yellow-brown tinge. The upgrade in detail is there but it's not as good as it should have been. I might buy it for the documentary but I hope that we will see a U.S. upgrade in the near future.

19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

for years I had Amazonia on the Italian Shock DVD and this is an obvious improvement, though maybe not as big as some other films that have appeared recently

it will also be enough for me to own it on this edition

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

There's not really any info missing on the tops and sides, and if there is its absolutely minimal... only the bottom is noticeably cropped, but that's because the DVD was framed for TV/digital-standard 16x9 (1.78:1), where as the Blu-ray is framed for it's proper theatrical widescreen aspect ratio (1.85:1) which is a slightly wider frame so if all (or most) info is still on the sides, either the top or bottom or both top and bottom will be slightly cropped. So the Blu-ray probably is framed for how it should be in that ratio. And as to the colours, it's warmer and more natural (it is a jungle movie, so it should be "warm") and the old DVD is overly pushed into the blues and white balance is totally off on it. So the Blu looks probably how it should look. That "odd haze" in the bonfire cap is the film grain and the smoke from the fire which is now visible cause the shot is more accurately balanced.... the DVD was too dark and the black levels crushed.