88 Films to Launch 88 Italian Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

I was talking to a guy who worked on the extras for some of Shriek Show's DVDs, particularly One Dark Night, and he said the label wasn't dead and that they were preparing to roll out some of their top titles to Blu-ray. This was around late 2012 or so (he was based in Long Island, NY), - obviously more than a while ago, but I think it's safe to say the label is pretty much DOA. I wonder if any of those old titles may end up with Scorpion - I know they licensed a bunch of stuff from the same library that One Dark Night came from but Walter seems to have lost interest in those films. I'd love to see THE BEING hit Blu someday, and , of course, One Dark Night.

2. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Funny thing. Now that we are discussing SS, I found a pre-order link on Amazon for a blu title that they are supposedly releasing: Flesh for the Beast : Tsukiko's Curse. The Fb page for the movie doesn't mention SS as a distributor, however, only Netflix.

Anyway, I suppose that SS's plans to roll out their top titles stalled with Buio Omega, as that release did not seem to be well-received overall.

3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I would disagree, the new transfer of Anthropophagous looks great. Huge upgrade in my opinion. It's never going to look laser-sharp but this is a big upgrade. All the muddy scenes were much more clean than the media blasters disc.

Forgot how much I love this flick.

4. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

I wanted to get Shriek Show's blu ray of Beyond the Darkness/Buio Omega, but I read it was edited, and then also in the wrong aspect ratio, etc. you know same old problems with shriek show stuff, they've been doing for years, so I never bought the blu ray, how can they manage to release Beyond the Darkness uncut on DVD and then edit the blu ray? yeah I can't figure that one out either. If that's the kind of "quality" we can expect from Shriek Show on DVD is it REALLY bad that they aren't releasing anything, and that other companies have stepped in to release these films instead? I have yet to pick up any 88 films blu rays, but I have 2 on preorder Hitch Hike and SS Experiment Camp, and I plan to pick up more of their stuff in the coming months, they have quite a bit planned that interest me, such as Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, and I'm waiting to see if Man From Deep River will be uncut before placing a preorder for it, but yeah with all the other companies out there doing good releases I'm not missing the shoddy releases that Shriek Show was notorious for.

5. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

I'm still happy with shriek show's blu of buio omega. It isn't perfect, framing is different and there is 25 seconds of a boxed baboon being carried from the van missing (could be worse, I wouldn't say edited but rather missing element). And some occasional audio issues. To see it from a different, never before seen source is nice, regardless. It does indeed sound and look much nicer than the dvd...which is also included. Maybe we'll get a better release someday. But until then, I'll only watch shriek shows blu. The dvd is a blurry mess in comparison.
    I do think it's bad shriek show hasn't put anything out lately. The pages of hyper detailed rants didn't help. Their bashed blu rays were all early in the format, and all were noticable improvements over their previous dvds, def never cheaped out with upconverted standard def transfers ala The Hills Have Eyes (that pissed me off). Now being a decade later, they could have improved resources. All blu's are better now. And dammit, I want The Majorettes on blu!! No shame at all

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've bought several 88 Films releases including DVD. There are several more titles coming out that I'll pick up when I see a good price.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

9. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

Anyone know if 88 films has announced if The Man From Deep River will be uncut yet? I'm hoping to order that one along with Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals, which they already announced will be uncut, but I haven't heard about Man From Deep River yet, I'm assuming it will be uncut, but you never know about some films released in England, so I'm still waiting for the official word. I did see Nightmares in a Damaged Brain is going to be uncut though so I'm assuming pretty much everything gets passed uncut these days in the UK though?

10. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

No official word on either of these from the BBFC yet, not seen man from deep river, but if it contains animal cruelty, then I suspect this will be cut, hopefully nightmares will be uncut, if they can pass Nekromantik 1 & 2 uncut, then I can't see why nightmares should be cut.

11. elDomenechHDG

What is it with Brits and animal cruelty? lol. They have no issues with human bodily mutilation/dismemberment, gore or nudity (for the most part) but they draw the line at (fake) animal cruelty? I'm not some animal violence sadist, quite the opposite, but you gotta laugh at stuff like this.

Dobby likes this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

If it's fake they will normally pass it, but most of these films did not us Sfx, they used real animals and they draw the line at that, there's lots of crazy censorship, look at the MPAA for example, with there let's cut 2 frames from a 24 fps sequence, do we noticed, no, but it makes them feel like they justify there existence, f'ing crazy! Regarding nightmares, good news it has now officially been confirmed as being passed uncut.

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. foller

foller Active Member

Man from Deep River will be released uncut on Blu by '84 films in Germany in 2016.

16. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

looks like the 88 films release of Man from Deep River is going to be an edited version :( oh well at least it's coming out uncut in Germany, I just hope they include an English language track so I can buy that version.

17. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

18. elDomenechHDG

I would love to see a Blu-ray upgrade for Amazonia aka The Catherine Miles Story. 88 released the film on DVD but they claim they can't do a BD because of a lack of an HD master. Well, make one! A bunch of other crap are getting the HD treatment, including Avocado Women of the Moon or some other shit. I can't believe the kind of junk that gets HD treatment while other, better films get passed up.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Kim Bruun, Dobby and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

While I enjoyed Amazonia, and would probably upgrade (though let's be honest, it ain't Cannibal Holocaust), I wouldn't sneer at Cannibal Woman in the Avocado Jungle of Death either - it's certainly more witty than than the tame Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers (which 88 Films mysteriously classify as a slasher film).

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

You really should sit through Burial Ground once, Kim. Any film that includes a midget actor playing a child BECAUSE THE CHILD ENGAGES IN AN INCESTUOUS SEXUAL ASSAULT OF HIS MOTHER is artistically defensible. Just saying. Ha.

MisterTwister, Angelman and Terry44 like this.