88 Films to Launch 88 Italian Line

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watched mine tonight. Stellar work by 88 Films. Bring on Absurd!

2. burieddeep

burieddeep Dr. Obrero

I watched Zombi Holocaust last night and was pleased with the restoration. A big improvement over the SS release, imo. I'm hoping the U.S. print get released at some point as well.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Can't believe that we might finally get Absurd on Blu-Ray.

It was the first Italian horror movie I ever saw in my early teens, that and New York Ripper, was on the same tape.
    My jaw dropped, as I was only used to "tame" US horror like Friday the 13th, Elm Street etc, up to that point :D

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

[​IMG]
    SHORT NIGHT OF THE GLASS DOLLS (1971) BLU-RAY & DVD

The corpse of reporter Gregory Moore (Jean Sorel) is found in a Prague plaza and brought to the local morgue. But Moore is actually alive, trapped inside his dead body and desperately recalling how the mysterious disappearance of his beautiful girlfriend (Barbara Bach) led to a terrifying conspiracy of depravity. Can... a reporter with no visible signs of life solve this perverse puzzle before he meets his ultimate deadline?

Part of the 88 Films Italian Collection, spine number 21
    Remastered in 2K from the original negative.
    First feature by director Aldo Lado (Night Train Murders)
    Features Barbara Bach (The Spy Who Loved Me)
    Score by Ennio Morricone (The Hateful Eight)

Katatonia likes this.
  5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I already have the Camera Obscura Blu-ray of Glass Dolls, and as much as I love 88 Films... they just aren't going to be able to touch the quality of that release (at least in terms of extras).

If 88 are able to source their release from the same restoration (which was quite intensive) that Camera Obscura created, it will look great, and obviously be far more affordable.

6. foller

foller Active Member

You know that people speak different languages in Europe, do you?

Steel76 likes this.
  7. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I thought Europe was a country...

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

This isn't good for Camera Obscura and could negatively impact genre fans in the long run. Their releases are amazing but very expensive (worth every penny). If 88 Films starts re-releasing CO's titles at a budget price that will obviously slow down their output, if not bankrupt the company. Why pay $40 for CO's AMUCK when we can get 88's a few months later for $15. Code Red Bill's accusation that 88 is nothing but vultures appears to be accurate. Supporting 88 Films will save a few bucks but will cost us some interesting releases in the long run. I'm going to go out of my way not to support 88 Films from this point on.

9. Katatonia

I doubt it will hurt Camera Obscura much. They are limited print runs mainly for a specific buyer sector to begin with, and aren't too much different from euro labels like '84 Entertainment doing pricey limited releases that are already available in other markets.

If they are equal in terms of quality/extras/packaging, then it might be a different story and price would be a huge factor... but there are still plenty of people out there who are willing to pay a premium. Camera Obscura are like the Ferrari of such obscure films in terms of quality.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It seems odd to say you won't buy from a company that has put out so many genre titles because they are releasing titles that a different company already released. Oh well, to each his own.

hots4, Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

It is pretty stupid but it's Crikan we're talking about here...

12. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I don't see this having much impact on the limited Camera Obscura release other than to possibly make it more desirable. Camera Obscura has said that 88 does not have access to their master or their extras so it is just another label in another country doing their own release of the same movie.

Katatonia likes this.
  13. Katatonia

Exactly, and Camera Obscura did an extensive restoration (reportedly weeks of restoration by hand) from the original negatives for Glass Dolls, so I just don't see how 88 Films is going to touch their release. The negatives were reportedly in bad shape necessitating that lengthy restoration, so we'll see what source 88 Films uses for their release.

I'm not trying to put 88 Films down or anything at all, I've been a fan of their releases since the beginning. I'm just saying that quality-wise in comparison I have serious doubts. But to those who are looking for a cheaper release, I'm sure it will be fine...as long as expectations don't run high for this one.

In other news, here's a new DVDBeaver review for Burial Ground: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_72/burial_ground_blu-ray.htm

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    f.ramses likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Apparently they did 3 or so weeks of manual restoration before deciding to start from scratch with a new scan and do more manual restoration on that. As happy as I've been with my 88 Films releases I feel the same as I haven't found anything that I've seen from them so far to be overly impressive.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

so is Burial Ground a good movie? I have never seen it, but the 88 Films release looks decent in the DVDBeaver review, and I might pick it up if it's worth it. I can't wait for 88 films release of Beyond the Darkness.

18. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's not really a "good" movie, but it's fun as hell, and I love it :D
    Sleazy and gory, with zombies that really looks like they have been dead for hundreds of years, even though the make up is pretty shoddy.
    Also, Peter Bark as Michael, is the most disturbing "kid" ever put on film.. And is the highlight of the movie :D

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

A lot of people love BURIAL GROUND, including me, but I doubt anyone would call it a "good movie". It's one the best bad movies. I'd recommend waiting until Severin's upcoming release drops.

20. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Ditto what Steel76 and Crikan said, especially about the "kid." At the beginning of the movie you'll ask yourself, "Why did this director employ a midget to impersonate a small child?" An hour later your jaw will drop, you'll laugh so hard that your drink will come out of your nose, and you'll think, "Oh, THAT'S why!"

To say any more would be wrong. But it'd be worth every penny of the $15 it would cost you to import the 88 films disc.

Steel76 likes this.