8K Ultra High Definition

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Ash28M, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Where's my fucking flying car and holograms? The Jetsons lied, all those movies lied, I just have to keep buying better TV's! Certainly skipping 3D now, if the 1080p dies, I'll just get a cheap one to hold over to 2020.

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Meh. Once you get past 4K you're talking about changes of resolution that are increasingly invisible to the naked eye. I'm sure there will be a difference, but for me it's hard to get excited about the prospect of buying expensive new equipment and listening to companies bitch about how much it cost to restore ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST or some other movie in 8K and how nobody even bought it.

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Apparently once you get over 80" HD starts to show it flaws. So you will only see a difference on Very Large TV's.

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It'll make zero difference to the average consumer. As a test for yourself, stand close enough to your current 1080p so that you can see the individual pixels that make up the picture. This would have to be your normal viewing distance in order to get any benefit out of ultra hi-def. As you can see, it isn't a very comfortable place to sit.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

This will truly be a niche area and mega-expensive for many years to come. Many people are only now getting into HD.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

2020? I wish Grindhouse would release it that soon.

8K has been in production use for several years now. Wizard of Oz was scanned and restored at 8K in 2009 for example.

The true benefit of 8K is the screen size. The higher the resolution the bigger the screen can be. Over the past few years projection became neck and neck in price with large screen TV's and that trend should continue. It'll be great to buy an 8K projector and really get a wall size image that looks absolutely real. And in 3D without glasses? You'll have to literally be blind not to appreciate that.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

4K, 8K, 3D, as long as "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) is available for the format, I'll buy it. :)

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

If we're speaking strictly of resolution, only at an unrealistically close viewing distance. At 10 feet from my 120" screen, HD resolution is sufficient- however, flaws in inferior quality HD source material (streaming, cable/satellite and even sub-standard Blu-rays) are very apparent. My point? While 4k will undoubtedly provide some slight visual improvements on very large displays, such as mine, it will not provide ANY perceptible benefit on average-to-moderately large displays at any sort of practical viewing distance. 8K will not provide ANY perceptible increase in quality over 4K for viewing film- its benefit would mainly be for viewing stills or "life walls" at extremely close distances. Graphic artists are likely to appreciate it.

Don't believe me? Very few people will complain about resolution while viewing the latest blockbuster at a commercial theater. Although there are a few (very few) 4K projectors installed in theaters these days, the vast majority are beaming 2K resolution, practically the same as 1080p or "1.9K", onto a truly titanic screen.

A far more tangible improvement for home displays would come from higher quality (higher bitrate) 1080p sources than from 4K or 8K.

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I missed your post when drafting mine but you are absolutely correct and well stated!

11. Katatonia

And I'll wager that most conusmers wouldn't even have room for a huge oversized display either. Many people don't even have a readily accessible wall for a large projector screening. 60" is pushing it for me now, as far as a TV goes.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've never seen one in person but on one of the videos the guy says on a side by side comparison he could really see the difference between the 1080p and the higher resolutions. I believe he was looking at an 84" TV. He basically said the main difference is that you can look all around the screen and everything has amazing detail. Also It would make sense that just like with DVD the larger the picture the more the colours suffer. I would imagine the same thing starts to happen once 1080p gets over 80". Saying that I'm not an expert so I may be talking out of my ass. Actually speaking of theaters there has been plenty of times were I though the image wasn't as up to par in one theater compared to another. I didn't even know most theaters use a 2k projector, possibly that was the case. If theaters are going to compete with the home theater market it's only a matter of time before they step it up to have a 4K standard or even 8K.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  13. sinister

sinister Member

This chart is useful:

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

I think these new super HD formats are really intended for digital cinema and huge screens at sports events/concerts etc., not really for home use.

As mentioned above there's still a lot of room for improvement at 1080p simply with less compression/higher bitrates so maybe this will filter down to home systems with a 100-200GB disc format @ 1080p eventually, if it hasn't all gone to cloud/streaming by then.

I have a 92" screen (CRT projector) and sit about 12' away and I don't think I'd see any benefit from higher resolution, although probably would from less compression/higher bitrate.

14. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm more excited about what the higher resolutions will bring to PC gaming. I know there is already higher resolution available but this could bring it to a new level.

Lets remember how long it took to go from standard 480 to HD. I know comparing 25-30 years ago to today is just silly, but I still think we are talking 5-10 years for this to hit the home theater enthusiast level. They need to milk bluray for a while and see sales start to dwindle first.

Sony is putting out a 4K TV for the holidays. Only $30,000. http://www.bgr.com/2012/08/21/sony-80-inch-xbr-tv-4k-resolution/

I do hope to have a home theater (literally - like dedicated room with the movie seats, large screen etc) within the next 10 years, so I'm all for this.

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

16. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Just leave it to the Japanese to invent everything awesome. What do us Americans invent oh let me think cheeseburgers, hot dogs? Damn I know I must of forgot something else anyone any ideas?

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Some of the Anti-8K is funny because it's word for word the Anti-HD all over again. Not even going to bother to counter point it.

Atomic bombs to drop on the Japanese.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  18. Katatonia

We invented bullshit. We're masters of the shit.

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm not anti-8K, but come on. Some technological advances are obviously not applicable for the common man's home usage. :rolleyes:

20. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

No... HD had a VERY tangible benefit based on the human eyes ability to resolve detail. 8K has no such advantage at reasonable viewing angles.
    The viewing angle chart posted on the prior page is particularly useful in visualizing this reality.
    I'm not particularly "anti-8K" but you have to realize that its application is really not for home use.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012