A Bay Of Blood (Arrow Video) (DVD & Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by springjack, Oct 27, 2010.

1. springjack

springjack New Member

Lack of sleeping I guess... :D

2. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Isn't there a scene where's there's a dead person in the lake/canoe/boat with snakes or a squid slithering on them or something? I haven't watched this ina while.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Some dumbass who thought he knew better than Bava went nuts on the color levels. While the detail is strong on the Blu, the entire mood and atmosphere of the film has been muted and basically eliminated. It's as if whoever worked on the transfer was trying to make the film look like a modern film and appeal to an audience that isn't interested in it in the first place. I can't wait to hear the explanation on this one...this has certainly put me off on pre-ordering any future Arrow Blu's without seeing screens first.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I know what you are saying, K. I am basically getting most of these for the artwork. I wish people would stop f!ing with the colors in these films. Whenever they put the Demons films on blu, they better not rape us on those transfers. They should quiz the people doing these transfers on horror before handing them such projects. There has to be a Don May somehwere out there in Europe.

5. KamuiX

What makes it even more odd is that their Spirits of the Dead release looks AMAZING, so I'm not sure what went wrong here (or with Deep Red; only DVD shots are out, but all the color looks sucked out of it too.) At least with Deep Red, Blue Underground and Don are likely to knock it out of the park next year. But with the care that Arrow puts into these packages, it's weird they'd do something like this to the films themselves that they KNOW they're gonna catch shit over from hardcore fans.

6. springjack

springjack New Member

Nothing more wrong.

Arrow films has nothing to do with Arrow video.

Same house, different company and different people.

7. KamuiX

Ah, didn't realize that. Definitely a bit confusing having the same name. Guess that explains that away then. Pity, since it seems like the Video branch is taking precedence looking at the release schedule :(

8. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I thought it was all the same company too. Oops. So is the Spirits of the Dead blu ray region-locked? What other discs has Arrow Films released?

9. springjack

springjack New Member

That doesn´t explain nothing.

All Arrow editions before this one had the best A/V quality around.

From all the reviews I read, they do give a strong percentace on the image quality.
    I guess is just a matter of opinion... I like how it looks.
    I don´t like things oversaturated.

Keep in mind that the stills were made on computer software and it tends to alter things .

I also thought Deep Red is weaker than the Anchor Bay edition but like I said, the stills were made on computer software and it tends to alter things .

10. KamuiX

It does explain things, as these are two releases they totally fucked. Also, most of their previous releases were done in collaboration with other studios, which may prove that when they're on their own, they can't cut it. Screenshots don't explain away anything...the shots of Spirit of the Dead look just as good as when it's on my TV, and all of the DVDBeaver comparison shots on these two films have the right color tones on EVERY other release. I highly doubt PC software JUST affected Arrow's releases.

It doesn't matter if that's the way YOU like it; it's not the point. What is is that this is NOT what the director intended. Does anyone honestly think all of these films have been released for 30+ years now in the wrong color tones? No, they weren't, Bava's and Argento's films have always had strong reds and lush flesh tones. Somebody in the control room decided they thought they knew better than the director, it's that simple, and it's a total fuck-up on their part. If you like Daria Nicolodi looking like she's been in Marilyn Manson's make-up drawer and your Bava films looking like they were shot in the last few years since muted color techniques have become increasingly popular, that's fine, but the simple fact is they've shown they don't give two shits about film preservation and would rather appeal to a modern audience that, quite frankly, isn't going to give two shits about any of these films. This shit WILL cause them to lose sales. The only plus is the Deep Red transfer looks less offensive than Bay of Blood, which has been robbed of atmosphere and tone.

Tim Lucas has basically said it's wrong too, and if anyone would know, it'd be him: "I saw the film several times theatrically and it had a lush, late Technicolor look. On the basis of these grabs, the colors on the Arrow discs do appear to be too muted -- when you see the blue drained out of the sky to that degree, it's not quite accurate to nature and certainly not accurate to Bava. The Anchor Bay disc, as pictured, has the correct balance of color and darkness."

I'm surprised this hasn't blown up bigger than it has. I'd blame it on it being a UK release, but that didn't stop the shit-storm when the totally mucked with Suspiria Blu was released.

@Darga: Spirits of the Dead is region free and well worth picking up: http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/short_circuits-6.html#spirits :)

11. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

12. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

13. Cornelius

Cornelius Guest

Couldn't agree more, KamuiX. The dull, toned down color on A Bay of Blood looks terrible, and the screencaps of Deep Red look very yellow tinted. These are much worse than the Suspiria release.

14. Mutilated Prey

Did anyone end up getting this? I'd love to hear you take on the washed out color scheme and any other interesting points.

15. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

I did and I´m very happy with it.

The best this movie ever looked.

16. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I have this and watched it. I was very happy with it. Didn't have an issue with colour or lack of. And of course, nice packaging!!

I'd rather that they didn't mess with the colour timing, but personally, as long as it is not edited for violence I am fine.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Seriously kamiuX, I HIGHLY doubt their decision on how to color time the di was based on their desire to appeal to a modern audience. And toned down color palettes are certainly not industry standard today. In fact, muted color techniques are most commonly associated with films made during the era in which Bay of Blood was made. If you look at other films from that era like Bullitt, Bonnie & Clyde, 3 Days of the Condor, etc all had a washed out look to them. Actually, Bava's lush use of Technicolor was extremely rare for 1970s filmmaking. Also, toned down color palettes are becoming increasingly unpopular in mainstream cinema in the past several years. With 3D and other Hollywood films, most movies made today have extremely colorful palettes.

Now I'm not saying the color timing on Bay of Blood is right, it most likely is wrong. But it certainly wasn't done to appeal to a modern audience. That's absolutely ridiculous.

~Matt

18. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Hey Matt, I'm not so sure. Of course, not all European films of the 70's had that Technicolor look - the french ones surely didn't. But almost all the italian ones did! Bullit and Bonnie & Clyde are films of the 60s and I don't think their colors look the same as they do in Condor which was filmed at 1975. 70s American films did indeed had a rougher, muted look (though, again, the blu-ray of All The President's Men looks way more colorful than the dvd - that's a real head-scracther sometimes.

You are right though, the colors of the latest American films are indeed very rich, and with intense contrast. Much like the true colors of Bay Of Blood actually - although again, an expirienced eye can tell the difference between the digitally enhanced color and the analogue and the warmer palete of what's really on film. ;)

Why Arrow did this I dunno. But you can always play with the saturation / contrast of your tv / projector and make their release of Bay look... closer to what Bava originally intended. It's not that big of a deal, me thinks.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is true of Italian films to have a very colorful look (they always did, with films like Senso and The Leopard, Sergio Leone's westerns, and the later films of Fellini like Amarcord) but I think they color timed Bay of Blood based on what most horror films of that era looked like: muted colors, drab contrast, it was VERY much a '70s style. But I do agree that it really isn't that big a deal in this case. It's not like the transfer was totally fucked up. There's no DNR to be seen and the film has beautiful grain structure. Just beautiful. If it bothers you that much, adjust the contrast.

Arrow does a great job. Now people are complaining about their transfer of Deep Red? What was wrong with that one? They fucked up The Beyond, yes, but they're fixing the error. Deep Red, however seems to look just fine. Can't please everyone, I guess.

~Matt

20. Mutilated Prey

Do we actually know adjusting the contrast will bring back those vivid tones in the Arrow release of Bay of Blood? I wasn't sure if they were too far gone to bring them back manually. I just love that rich blue sky compared to the drab grey one on the screen capture below :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]