A Bay Of Blood (Arrow Video) (DVD & Blu-Ray)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by springjack, Oct 27, 2010.

1. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I don't know, I can think of a TON of movies that have been released in the past 5 years with muted color palates, from the Saw films, to Max Payne, to Sweeney Todd, to even Children of Men; I think it'd be just as prevalent right now if it wasn't for 3D. Maybe whoever was behind the scenes working on the transfer didn't do it to appeal to a modern audience (it's an opinion), but either way it's WRONG, plain and simple. Someone thought they knew better than Bava what the film should look like. As I stated before, Tim Lucas said the color timing is wrong based on a handful of theatrical screenings, and I'd trust his comments on a Bava film over anyone at Arrow. Regardless of the added clarity and nice-looking transfer (and it'd be a winner with the proper color palate), I'm not going to give a company money to support them changing the look of film's I love; and I'm paying them, after all. They should get it right, I shouldn't have to adjust it to get it to look the way it's supposed to in the first place. When they get stuff right (Battle Royale, City of the Living Dead), they get my cash.

And I just can't figure the company out; I'm not sure why they feel the need to mess around with certain films but leave others alone. Check out a review with screenshots for Vamp. It looks fantastic. Why leave well enough alone on a film that has a substantially smaller fanbase and screw around with titles that many more people will scrutinize? The screens from BU's Inferno tell the tale: Arrow is obsessed with video filters on a number of their releases.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Keep in mind that there are several points along the way where the BAY OF BLOOD problems could have occurred. I'm not saying that they aren't Arrow's fault, but they likely weren't the ones who were handling and scanning the negative. That was most likely done done by the licensor in Italy, who probably would have Fed-Ex'd them an HDCAM tape to use as their master. It's not impossible that the desaturation was done on their end. I don't know whether it was or not, but it's possible.

Of course, even if it was, Arrow really should have done their homework and checked with alternate sources to verify the film's intended look, so yeah, I guess you could say that the buck ultimately does stop with them.

3. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

That´s a first...

What are you saying? That Arrow has a lab and is doing all the restorations?

The restorations are comissioned to a lab that has nothing to do with the company.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Isn't there an option to watch the Italian version of this film on the Arrow disc? I'm pretty sure the colour there is far more vivid and bright.

5. KamuiX

So employ a new lab. At the end of the day, Arrow is responsible for what they release.

It's in bad shape though and has a very low bitrate; my upconverted DVD is likely just as good.

6. Zombie Dude

Ah, well fair enough. The film did come across as boring to me as the blu was the first time I'd watched it. Hearing now that it was intended to be more colourful, I'm wondering if that's the case.

7. KamuiX

Well Bay of Blood is definitely a "love it or hate it" Bava, so the more vibrant colors might not do much to change your opinion. Although to be fair, it took me a couple viewings to really warm up to it, so there could be hope! :p

8. Zombie Dude

:lol: Well I plan to watch it again at some stage as the story got me confused towards the end.

9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i thought the picture looked amazing. the colours were definitely way too muted, but that's an easy fix. Just increased the colour saturation on the tv and fiddled with the tint to make it a little redder. with the clarity of the blu ray image, i thought it looked fantastic. and i hope anyone who felt it was boring, or didn't like it for any other reason gave it another chance. this was my third or fourth time watching it, and it really keeps getting better.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I also agree the movie gets better on repeat viewings. Which is weird, but true- when I think, for example, of the flashbacks during the "Simon, it wasn't my idea!" sequence, I actually get a slight feeling of dread. Instead of the open-mouthed fishface I had the first time I saw it.

As for the film's look... so, if the Italian Blu Ray version is closer to Bava's original colors, and the transfer still isn't very good... maybe, and this is a question more than a statement or even a thought, people really are better off just tweaking the color saturation on their TV's over the English version Arrow Blu Ray as Dave13 said.

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I've noticed in a lot of Arrow Blu posts folks say that the extras don't play on their PS3. Well, they all play on mine for this Blu.

BTW - the movie looks spectacular!

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

All features played on my ps3.

~Matt

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If the extras are in HD (like this or Vamp), they should play fine in US players.

If the extras are in SD (like The Funhouse), they usually won't play in US players.

Even though their blu-rays are region free, their standard definition extras are usually in PAL.

14. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I see. Thanks. Watching this Arrow Blu is motivating me to get The Funhouse and The Beyond.

15. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

this might be common knowledge, but i'll just put it out there that region free PAL discs will play in bd-rom drives. or at least they do in mine. i was happy when i realized that, because it means i can watch all the video features on the city of the living dead disc.