A Bittersweet Life

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by BloodMan, Nov 24, 2005.

1. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Has anyone seen this yet?
    I really enjoyed this flick... Korean goodness yet again. From the guy who made Tale of Two Sisters. Its about an enforcer of sorts for a crime boss guy who slowly starts a series of events (though not always his fault completely) that get progressively worse as the film goes on. Some very violent chunks of nastiness spill throughout the running time. Much of it very cringe inducing I must say. I stick this one right behind Oldboy. Awesome movie! And that finale was excellent, IMO. :)
    What do you guys think?

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yeah, this was an excellent film. Korea has been churning out outstanding films for the past few years now. I'm rarely disappointed when I sit down to watch a Korean film...the pacing is definitely an aquired taste, but it doesn't bother me at all (in fact, I like it), and the artistry behind their films never ceases to amaze me.

Anyways, Kim Ji-Woon is definitely among my favorite Korean directors. It seems like every genre he tackles, whether it be horror, comedy, action, yakuza, he just nails it.

And I have to admit, I like this just a bit more than Oldboy. While that's an excellent film, I never saw what was coming in this film, and it definitely kept me guessing at every turn. It was genuinely unique.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bought it last month, but haven't had time to watch it yet. Maybe I'll give it a spin this weekend

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, got a chance to see it, and was underwhelmed.

Sure, it was good, well-made, etc. But I was waiting for something really unusual and special, and it never delivered. It's a gangster/revenge flick, and that's about it. Chan Wook-Park's revenge movies seem to be a little more daring and original. This falls way below Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy.

I view this kind of the same way I see One Missed Call....a very well made film technically, but nothing we've never seen before

5. slinker

slinker Un-Holy Force.

I thought this was excellent, had the golden opportunity to see it at the flix last night and was real glad i did. Was a pretty basic plot yes but everything was so well executed and the acting was superb. Some gorgeous shots throughout mixed in with the manic violence that you would expect from a film of this type. If you like your revenge classics then you couldnt go far wrong .... 8/10

6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

My expectations for this movie were very high considering how much I loved Tale Of Two Sisters. A Bittersweet Life did not disappoint. Closer in theme to one of Chan Wook Parks films, this is nonetheless a violent, well acted and well shot movie. I was never bored, and was kept riveted until the end. If you're a fan of South Korean cinema, then add this to your list of must see films this year. 8/10

7. Odin

Odin Guest

Sorry to bump this...but damn this movie is amazing. One of my favorite Korean movies, finally got the directors cut of this movie for pretty cheap from ebay lol

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

and the remake is on it's way this year I believe...