"A Blade in the Dark"

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Egg_Shen, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

How is this Bava film? I've heard it was the best he has to offer, and this being Lamberto Bava, I was curious if this comment was made to imply that the film was actually any good. I havn't seen any of his films, but became interested in his work after seeing a few scenes of "Demons" in "Dario Argento's World of Horror". So folks, is "A Blade in the Dark" worth a look?

2. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

yes!!!!!!! pretty good movie

3. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

its worth more then just a view, its worth buying!! if just for the bathroom scene alone

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It's a good movie, I own it, but I feel it would have been better if they shortened it. The Anchor Bay release is an extended version of the U.S. theatrical release of what was originally a four part Italian mini-series (30 minutes each) with all the excised footage reinstated. By doing this, they succeeded in slowing down the pace too much. If they wanted to keep everything, they should have released it in the original T.V. format.

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I finished the film and these are my thoughts exactly. There are some shining moments in the movie though, enough to keep it from getting to boring anyway. I thought the the under water scenes were suspenseful and the scene in the bathroom was pretty good. It all just seemed so familiar and the ending wasn't much of a surprise.

However, in the interview Bava did say he didn't really enjoy doing suspense films and his true forte was fantasy movies. Perhaps Demons will be better...