"A Blade in the Dark"!

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Joel Groce, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Holy shit - that's uncanny!:banana: :banana: :banana:

2. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

:lol: that website is great:lol:

3. newt

newt Guest

Giovanni thanks you for the link. House by the Cemetery is one of my favorites, especially the bat attack!

I have Manhattan Baby too but I haven't watched it yet.

I have seen A Blade in the Dark but found it very slow. I still need to get it to add to my Giovanni collection.

4. EPKJ

EPKJ Guest

I have been wary of A Blade In The Dark ever since I purchased Delirium Photo Of Gioia from Media Blasters. That was a terrible film. Is A Blade In The Dark better?

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I saw this for the first time tonight. I am finally getting to it after buying the two-fer. Actually, I was very impressed. Bava does some great work here. For a film made in two and half weeks, it's totally smoking.

I think it was a little too long at 1:40, but having said that, Bava builds tension well, has some great shots and set ups, and the climax in unusually mean (9 times out of 10, that scene just before the end would never have happened.)

I really think this is a great little film, and is worth anyones money and time. I noted Dave didn't think much of this one when he reviewed it, and he makes mention of a good booklet. The two-fer skips on the booklet, so I'm not sure what I missed there. All in all though, I saw a lot of beauty here.

Actually, I'm giving it a "wonderful".

ps: I managed to figure out who the murderer was well before the end, but I actually enjoyed that element.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Re-reading this thread was interesting. I had forgotten all about the supposed "film cut". I bought the DVD a long time ago, remember finding it rather slow, and then sold the disc. Then a few months ago, I had a chance to pick up the EC LD real cheap, and I did, based more on the great artwork and the bathroom murder scene.
    But I watched the movie, and found it MUCH more enjoyable the second time around. Now I realize that my version is about 10 minutes shorter (and not completely due to "PAL speed-up").
    If you can get this "film cut" version, I highly recommend it.