A Book on Televisions...VIDEODROME Contest

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 19, 2008.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

We watch too many movies. Sometimes it's nice to just sit back and read. Sometimes it's even better, though, to sit back and read about movies about television. The Video Watchdog himself, Tim Lucas, has just released a new chronicle on the making of David Cronenberg's seminal VIDEODROME, and we want to give you some copies.

Thanks to common backyard structure and long time forum member, Workshed, we've got two copies of VIDEODROME: STUDIES IN THE HORROR FILM to give to you. It's printed on heavy stock, filled with color behind-the-scenes stills and more importantly rife with information both critical and anecdotal, since Lucas was on set during much of the filming. Plus, the cover will give your bookshelf some class:

[​IMG]

What do you have to do to win it? Simply tell us your favorite Cronenberg moment.

Is it the fetus eating in THE BROOD? The oil slick sex in FAST COMPANY? The ode to Viggo Mortensen's penis in EASTERN PROMISES? You decide, and let us know the film and the moment that sticks out with you most.

The contest closes a week from now on Sunday, October 26th when two winners will be randomly drawn. If you're not a winner, buy the book here, or read more on it through the Centipede Press website.

So let's get on to the contest: What's your favorite Cronenberg moment?

Attached Files:

2. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

This is a great question!

My favourite Cronenberg moment(s) is the slow transformation of Seth Brundle in the Fly. The moment in the bathroom in particular, where Seth starts peeling off his nails, with the slow realization that his isn't human anymore. Ace.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

My fav: "I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it, but now that dream is over and the insect is awake."

4. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

Mine would have to be the entire diner sequence in A History of Violence. I know it's going away from Cronenberg's usual 'body horror' motif, but it's just so visceral.

5. pdw

pdw New Member

I've always loved the exploding head in SCANNERS.
    Classic moment.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Wow, surprisingly tough to single out one particular moment. I really dig the pool scene climax in SHIVERS or any scenes that feature Playboy model Lynn Lowry. She was perfect in that role.

I enjoy the more perverse moments from Cronenberg. Debbie Harry's enormous lips on the TV in VIDEODROME is also most memorable.

Attached Files:

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Crash, the slow beautiful yet stark filming of the aftermath of a car crash about midway through that comes dangerously close to making you see the beauty in it all. One of my favorite scenes ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  8. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Awesome, thanks, rhett! And many thanks to the good folks at Centipede and Millipede Press. Good luck to all the contestants!

9. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

In Videodrome, where the gun becomes the flesh. Showing we are our own destructors. If destructors is even a word ahaha.

Runner-up would easily be the bath house fight scene in Eastern Promises.

10. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Barbara Steele's bathtub encounter in Shivers.

11. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Even though it's not particularly Cronenbergian, whenever I think of him my mind goes to the final scene of A History of Violence. Nothing much happens, but everything happens.

12. My favorite moment would actually be the fetus eating from The Brood. It was just so unexpected and disgusting.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I could name several, but I'll go with a more low key example of Cronenberg's genius, Lynn Lowry's description of her dream in Shivers. The dialogue coupled with her delivery... just beautiful. Pure intimacy through words. "Everything is erotic."

14. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

The speech given by the wife in The Brood, but only when I found out that this speech was one Cronenberg's ex-wife gave to him during their divorce and he wrote the movie as a "fuck you!" to her. A disgusting, disturbing horror flick used as an exorcism of his own emotion, it's just pure art.

15. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

fattyjoe hit the nail on the head. The finale of A History of Violence is pure, wonderful artistry.

16. hojimoji

hojimoji Member

I've got to go with Peter Weller reciting the "Man Who Taught his Asshole How to Talk" routine in Naked Lunch. Considering Cronenberg's penchant for body horror, he could have made that such a disgusting scene. Instead, he plays it totally straight, just Weller driving. Brilliant.

17. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

The ending of Dead Ringers is true brilliance, one of the most chilling and cold moments I've ever experienced in film. One of the greatest films of all time.

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Favorite Cronenberg moment? I'll post this one as a spoiler, since it really would ruin the film for anyone who hasn't seen it:

The scene in Spider when we find out that Miranda Richardson played two seperate and distinct characters integral to the plot. One of the few times I've been literally shocked...by not even realizing it before that! Excellent acting and disguise.

19. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I always liked the scene at the beginning of Scanners, when one of two women start making loud comments about the man's appearance. Since he is a scanner, he exacts revenge by increasing her heartrate and gives her a heart attack.

20. Darkside

Darkside New Member

In Rabid when at the clinic, Dr. Keolid, when examining the unconscious Rose, notices a strange vaginal/sphincter orifice in Rose's right armpit, when she suddenly wakes up and a phallic red spike emerges from the orifice and pierces Dr. Keolid in the hand, which the phallic thing feeds on his blood, before withdrawing back into Rose. True Cronenberg genius!!!