A Clockwork Orange 40th AE

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5842

"The French branch of Warner Home Video has announced that, on May 18, it will re-release Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange in a 40-Anniversary, 2-Disk Digibook Blu-ray edition. Just a few days earlier, the film be projected digitally at the Cannes Film Festival, featuring a new digital restoration. There is no information about a US release at the moment."

2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Most of the time when Warner Bros. European branches announce a title, it eventually gets released here at a later date. Looking forward to seeing if it's worth the double dip.

3. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

The original blu ray American release was pretty complete, I can't imagine anymore extras, and the image quality was tops. Might be worth getting for those who don't own it already, but for me the old release is plenty acceptable.

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Agreed. It isn't one of those films that begs to be restored. Now The Terminator on the other hand...

5. Criswell

Criswell New Member

Funny how time flies. 40 years old

Thats like watching the RKO Kong in 1973. But styles have not changed as much.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

A Clockwork Orange is perhaps my all-time favorite Kubrick film, but I would really rather see Barry Lyndon come to Blu-ray.

I thought Warner's original Blu-ray of A Clockwork Orange already looked like gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. :p

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I think there was a leak from a Warner Bros. insider a while back that Warner was indeed preparing blu's for Lolita and Barry Lyndon. Hell, they'll probably end up releasing that box set all over again.

8. Katatonia

I heard the rumor too, but I trust Warner about as far as...

9. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd love for Barry Lyndon to hit blu. It's such a beautiful film, and literally you can pause the film at any time and you have a gorgeous work of art. This movie begs to be restored.

Oh and +1 on the Terminator comment. WTF is taking MGM so long with that one? Are they working on a 3-D theatrical re-release or some bullshit (like Cameron is apparently doing with Titanic in 2012 for the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the ship)?

Oh and it would be nice to have them re-do Robocop as well, seeing as how that was transferred at MPEG-2. Same with Carrie. It's the 35th Anniversary, give it to Criterion or something, seeing as how they've been acquiring a lot of MGM titles lately (like DePalma's own Blow Out).

~Matt

10. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

Yeah, and Criterion has released both of those before. I still have my LD of Carrie with the commentary and option for sound effects only track. I regret not getting the CAV version boxset at the time, which had even more features.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I thought I read on Digital Bits that Lolita and Barry Lyndon were penciled in for Mayish 2011 but now I can't find it.

I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the current transfers on Blu-ray for Kubrick, even though everyone gives them high marks. I'd like to see them take another crack at a few titles just to see if they can improve on the 2k transfers they originally did.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

May it is:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/for...ey-kubrick-limited-edition-collection-blu-ray

Will be interesting to see what the do with Spartacus, as the previous Blu-ray was shunned. I hope they'll revisit it but somehow I doubt it.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

So wait, are they not releasing Lolita and Barry Lyndon on their own? If that's the case, then that is kind of bullshit for everyone who already owns all of the other Kubrick films already released.

14. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

according to thedigitalbits, lolita and barry lyndon will initially only be available in the box set, but individual releases will follow at some point.

15. Katatonia

Yeah, that's pretty lame if Warner is doing it that way. They may release them seperately in the future...hopefully. I was really wanting Barry Lyndon on Blu-ray, but I'm not rebuying all of the other films again just to have the "box set"

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'll definitely grab this set. The only Kubrick films I have on blu are The Shining and the Criterion of Paths of Glory. I almost bought Dr. Strangelove last week and I'm glad now that I didn't. It's a cool looking set, I don't know why so many people on the blu-ray.com forums are complaining so much. Fuck that place is so full of whiners it's ridiculous. They're never happy about anything. Since I joined about 3 years ago, I think I've made a total of like 10 posts. Just can't stand the complainers on there.

And it's not like Warner WON'T release Barry Lyndon and Lolita individually at a later date, they always do. Criterion's BBS Story boxset included films that were only available as part of that collection and not available individually, but you didn't hear anybody bitching about that. I don't see how this set is any different.

~Matt

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'll more than likely spring for the set, but I'll just wait until there's some awesome Gold Box Deal on Amazon or something.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm not sure what to do. I already own The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket and 2001. I was already planning on at the least getting rid of 2001 and Full Metal Jacket for their Canadian exclusive Steelbook editions.

So I can sell them all and grab this set.

Or just sell 2001 and Full Metal Jacket for the Canadian exclusive Steelbooks and keep the Shining and Eyes Wide Shut and buy the other titles I'm missing separate. The Digibooks for Dr. Strangelove and Clockwork are quite cool as well, and I have a feeling 2001 will eventually get a Digibook release as well, as they found all those deleted scenes last year even if the Documentary was canceled.

I could have a sweet box set or sweet separate editions of each title, decisions... decisions...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm going to see what I can get for the titles that I own. If I can't make a decent portion of what I spent back, then I'll just wait until either there's an awesome deal on the box set or they release Barry Lyndon and Lolita separately.

20. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

"First though, we've got a couple of Kubrick Blu-ray title updates. We've heard back from Warner Home Video about some of our questions, and here's what we've learned: The new A Clockwork Orange: 40th Anniversary Edition features the same HD master and lossless audio that were released previously on Blu-ray. Likewise, the audio on all of the other Blu-ray titles is the same as previously released. We have, however, learned that Lolita features 1.0 DTS-HD MA, while Barry Lyndon offers 5.1 DTS-HD MA. As for the possibility of Barry Lyndon and Lolita being released as BD singles in the U.S., so that fans who already own all the other Kubrick Blu-rays don't have to buy the whole box to get them, that's still unknown. However, it does look as if both films are being released as BD singles in Europe (France, Germany, Denmark) and elsewhere in May. So if the discs aren't Region-locked, you may be able to import them. (And we've heard from a LOT of readers that that's exactly what they hope to do.) Rest assured, we've let WHV know how many of you have strong feelings about this issue, so maybe they'll find a way to let you get the two new films individually yet. We'll see..."