A George Lucased THX 1138

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

If you were ever a fan of this film, you know the one where everyone has shaved heads and lives in the bright white, I think you're in for a treat with this director's cut of THX 1138. What's different? Well there are a couple of added shots here and there but more importantly added CGI!!! I think I just felt a distubance in the force like a million souls crying out at once Hold on though guys, as a fan of the CGI add-ons to the Star Wars series, I can admit that some of those could be better or even left out. But here, the CGI additions are pretty damn good. They really enhance a film that for the most part is a little too minimalistic to look at. Fear not though, you still have those minimalistic elements in there, but I think they work better now with context.
    The additions are as follws:
    - When THX is working, you see large mechanical robotics working in the background
    - There are scenes that LUH sees over the monitors of explosions happenening in the Radiation zones
    - A few added shots of the "underground" with some moving cars and elevators
    - When they try to escape the white area, they burst into that large hallway of the thousands of hustling and buslting people. This has been enhanced to look like thousands more
    - The car chase has a better opening where THX weaves betwean more and faster moving cars
    - there are some mutant ape-like beings that THX runs into close to the surface(not sure what was in these scenes before if anything)
    I think there are also some added original footage portions that have been accomodated by the CGI elements. Overall I think these add-ons really solidify this film's relevance and look.

I always liked THX, but found it hard to watch over and over. With the CGI, it has had new life breathed into it and is a martyr to George Lucas' philosophy of cleaning and adding.

10/10

2. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I really enjoyed this new release, without ever having seen it in its original form. I believe the CGI apes at the end used to be midgets, like the one in the "white prison". The 2nd disc to this set was very nice as well, with a long documentary on the beginnings of American Zoetrope. I'll have to pick up an old VHS of the original version just for curiositys sake.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

How do you make that assumption?

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I always liked THX, but found it hard to watch over and over. With the CGI, it has had new life breathed into it and is a martyr to George Lucas' philosophy of cleaning and adding.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I thought the new CGI effects added some to the film without really taking anything away from the original cut. The 2-disc version has that great Zoetrope documentary too.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I Never Seen Until Until I Took A Chance With The New 2 Disc Dvd It Took Two Viewings Before I Liked It

6. ekent

If you look closely in that monkey sequence, there is actually a midget sitting on some sort of rafter.

7. zombee

zombee Guest

Hmm. I'd like to check this out. All I've seen is part of the original THX (not special edition). These changes actually sound pretty good, but I think that they should have included the orignal THX as well as the special edition version. It is a 2 disk set afterall.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

You'll probably never again see the original form of THX 1138 released in official form if Lucas sees to it.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I just watched the old laser disc version of the original and enjoyed it,I hadn't seen it in years.Since I haven't seen the new version I can't say what I thought of it,though I wonder why Lucas felt the need to enhance a film that was essentially stark,sterile and charecter driven.It's his film though,so I guess he can do what he wants(ala the STAR WARS trilogy,which I did not like the changes to).

10. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

That's why he sucks.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

And by "sucks" you mean "rules" right :D
    Have you seen the director's cut of THX?

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I just watched this today and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I've never seen it otherwise, but the CGI is fairly obvious (not in a "that looks fake" way, more in a "I know this movie is from '71 and these things couldn't have been done back then" way). The film itself though is a great dystopian nightmare. The themes of religion, isolation, and sedation are universally important, but Lucas uses them well in their specific places in this film. My only qualms have to do with the story line...
    I felt that LUH disappeared a bit quickly; sure THX has his moment of sadness as he looks at the "new" LUH, but I felt that her character could have had a better wrap-up. Much of the chaotic scenes are hard to fully comprehend--that's the purpose, but I still felt like I was missing more than I was getting. I would have also liked for there to be more explanation with regards to how, why, and where the hell this society is. Is it world-wide? Just a colony? I dunno, I'm sure those questions were intentionally left unanswered, but I would have liked some real exposition there.
    They are small problems though. Overall this film is a pretty powerful work and certainly the most somber thing Lucas has done.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005
  13. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Does it really matter? Just the fact that he has the habit of permanently doing away with the cuts of his movies we've come to know and love in order to feed his ego and without giving us fans any choice in the matter is reason enough to say he "sucks".

14. The Chaostar

Mok, no I haven't. But he sucks. And you know why? Because, just like Star Wars, none of the future generations will see THX or any of the first three Star Wars in their original form. Just for History's sake, he should do just that. I don't really care if the director's cut of THX is better or not.
    The decision to eliminate the original versions shows an arrogant bastard. Fuck him utterly.

15. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Guys I could better understand your anger if Lucas, say, ransacked peoples houses to eliminate any trace of the old cuts of his films. But the fact remains that there are older versions out there to be had. Be it Laserdisc or video, you can be stuck in the past if you so choose. Then again, we're living in an age where dvd conversion can be done in the comfort of your own home for free! :banana:

16. maybrick

By that logic, why don't we go and update everything to suit todays audiences? Why not paint over the Mona Lisa and give her a string bikini? There's a shitload of prints of it floating around, so who cares what we do with the original? Because a lot of us believe in preservation, that's why! When Spielberg revisited E.T. at least he had the decency to include both editions in the DVD release. There's no reason why Lucas couldn't do the same, I don't care about all the lame excuses about the Star Wars negative having deteriorated. That's a cop-out. It probably wouldn't look any worse than the uncut version of Shriek Show's Lizard in a Woman's Skin.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

What logic? I said there are copies floating around out there for you to get your "original" cut of these films. By the same token, you originally saw them prior to any restoration techniques of today so the laserdisc releases should suit your needs no? I'm sure there are others like you who have dvd transfers on ebay. If it's that important to you then you'll look into it.

18. maybrick

Actually, I think Star Wars sucks. I liked it as a kid, but that was then and this is now. I have no desire to hunt down a bootleg copy of a movie I don't even like. It's the principle of the matter of the deleting and changing of history I'm talking about.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  19. The Chaostar

That's exactly my problem. How many generations of viewers will have access to the original THX? We are talking about the preservation of Film History here.

20. ekent

Well I rented THX 1138 from my local mom and pop cult video store and I must say that I enjoyed it just as much as the redone version. There was a good bit changed but not enough to make a difference in the story. The changes, if anything, take away a little bit of that late 60's/early 70's technology feel, but only a little. One thing I noticed was that some shots were not re-used. For instance, when the officer crashes his motorcycle, in the old version we get two different angles of his crash. One from inside the car, and one from overhead. In the new version I believe we only get the overhead shot (correct me if I am wrong). I have definately added this to my laserdisc want list. I find both versions to be very good films.