A George Lucased THX 1138

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

I know it is easy to love to hate Lucas but one must always return to the moments of genius that man had...I love THX...totally blew my mind, I'm gonna watch it again tonight!

2. bachmann

bachmann Member

You can get the original version to

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=603115

3. Andrew

Andrew Guest

4. adric

adric New Member

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep. The original version of the movie hasn't been released to DVD and probably never will.

6. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Your best bet is the laserdisc (which I just recently acquired) because it is 2.35:1 ratio. The VHS release I rented a while back was pan and scan.

7. bachmann

bachmann Member

oh sorry i thought it was the original

8. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Sure Mok, everything is available... in obsolete formats. When's the last time you saw anyone using an 8 track tape player, or a reel to reel audio player? How about a home projector?
    The thing is that future generations will not have conventional access to the formats on which Star Wars and THX survive in their original form. The players will be scarce in good working condition, and repairs will be hard to come by because no one will know how to work on them, or if they do, they will charge too much to work on them to justify keeping the thing running.

And nevermind that the media itself deteriorates, losing color saturation, sound quality, etc., or just outright dies altogether as in laser rot or an eaten tape.

Without current media and format technology being utilized, the virtual fact is that these films are not readily and conventionally available, even at this time, let alone for future generations.

As for your comments on the CGI...
    - When they try to escape the white area, they burst into that large hallway of the thousands of hustling and buslting people. This has been enhanced to look like thousands more
    - The car chase has a better opening where THX weaves betwean more and faster moving cars
    - there are some mutant ape-like beings that THX runs into close to the surface(not sure what was in these scenes before if anything)

I hated all of that, it was just 'too sexy'. Too buzzy and MTv fast fast fast, gogogo! for me. Totally took me out of the film for a bit. Oh, and the last one just looked dumb. As for the other scenes you mentioned, they looked pretty natural.

9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Mutt, you can't bit-torrent that stuff? I'm not in on that scene so I don't know, but I thought we were getting to the point that you could pretty much get anything with a little digging. Sure the quality wouldn't be like what you get with the DVD release but before DVD everyone was happy with VHS. After all isn't that what you saw that film on in the first place?

10. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Um, no. And no.

Mok, you're simply wrong here, I'm sorry to have to break it to you so bluntly, but it's true.

Torrent? Please, we're talking about media for the masses here, not the internet outlaw geek sub-culture. If you can get original SW on torrent, I doubt it's legal.

Anyway, I saw Star Wars in theaters. Multiple times. An no, not the rereleases, but this is back in '77 I'm talkin'.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Alright, alright. I guess it does suck for you and others who want the original. I like the add-ons and their irreverance(and yes I'll admit that to the original prints, these add-ons are irreverant) to the original doesn't bother me for some reason. But I see your point. My question is why in the fuck the Ewok Adventures didn't have any added CGI - especially that piss-awful spider-on-a-string in Caravan of Courage. :banana:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005