A lizard in a woman's skin

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Vasilis, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Perhaps, but saying that the guy isn't a fan or an expert on that basis alone is pretty unfounded to my mind.

Where was that incorrect title, used, btw? Anyway, I'm not sure that lazy quality control isn't a sign of not being a fan or an expert, it's just a sign of a company with lazy quality control.

No discs at all. Their table prices were more than I was willing to spend, since DeepDiscountDVD sells them for cheaper and I had dropped a bunch of money already on autographs that weekend.

DJ

2. CJ

CJ Guest

The incorrect titling was used on the trailer section of Burial Ground - which was a great disc BTW.

Like I say, I have no real issues with their discs, I've been more than happy with them.

I'm also not about to engage in a debate about whether or not John is a fan or not. I think the fact that he is unsure about the product he is trying to convince us to buy speaks volumes in itself.

3. CJ

CJ Guest

And I would just like to reiterate that I have no personal grievance with John (Blaster). I am just being objective as a consumer and want to be assured that the business that I am transacting with are fully confident of the fidelity of their product.

4. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

UNA LUCERTOLA CON LA PELLE DI DONNA by Lucio Fulci 1972 with Florinda Bolkan, Anita Strindberg, Jean Sorel (F : LE VENIN DE LA PEUR/LES SALOPES VONT EN ENFER . USA: WOMAN IN A LIZARD’S SKIN) Scope 2:35.1

http://www.superwonderscope.com/gialloe.htm

This is the only "proof":nervous: I could find:(

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Hard to get info, isn't it.

According to "Beyond Terror" I can see the longest print was shown in France at 101 minutes. The UK version was 100 minutes, and Spanish version was 88 minutes. Some sites talk about a 105 minute version though (confusing!)

It was released theatrically as a 70mm print.

Media-blasters are still keeping the detail of this release under thier hats - why? Their own web-site says this title is "Full screen" and they have spelt FULCI as Fulchi!!! I see someone else mentioned this on the site, but I guess it was not important enough to change.

I'd buy this, even at 1:85. If it's full screen, no-way I'd buy it. I just wish they'd start giving out more details.

6. Taube

Taube Guest

UHH, Im starting to get cold feet now, maybe I should bring down my pre-order. Peoples continous concern how this DVD will be released is very alarming IMO. As previous speaker declared, I think I can take a 1,85:1 release even if OAR is higher (i wont like it but the movie is very sought after) - but if it´s released as a full frame or some PS BS I´ll loose my confidence in SS.

Anyway, where´s blaster in this discussion, if you have started to be a spokesman on a forum, people will eventually want their opinion - and I also happen to think that an open discussion with the customers is highly beneficial, both for us and the studios.

Just look at Lustig of BU, if he ever were to screw something up I think he´d be the first to admit it and appologize - IMO that´s the only way to be forgiven say, a OAR-error or for releasing something cut when it was announced as UNcut.

7. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I think that questioning the people at Shriek Show is beneficial for the fans. If they want our money we should be able to ensure that they are giving us a quality product. The same applies to all fields. For example, if I was going to purchase a digital camera from Pentax, I wouldn't take the product seriously if they spelled it Dijital Kammera (OK so that's a lame example). They have to know that they can't get away with releasing sub-par discs because "they'll buy it anyway".

With that said, I'm looking forward to Fulci's "A Lizard in a Woman's Skin" in OAR (whatever that is) but if they release Fulchi's "Lizard in a Duckling's Skin" in P&S then I'll have to re-consider.

8. CJ

CJ Guest

Re: Actually...

How is this coming along, Mike (I assume that you and Kit are there in person supervising the editing of the documentary)..?

9. Re: Re: Actually...

He just posted that 2 days ago...what kind of update do you want him to give?

DJ

10. CJ

CJ Guest

Well, I'm curious as to how it's coming along. You seem to have a personal problem with my questioning of Shriek Show, Damin. Why is this?

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

According to BEYOND TERROR the print is a cinemascope one - this is something you can see at film POSTERS of the film. Is this a good proof for you Damin?

12. CJ

CJ Guest

Well, I was only curious as to whether Kit and Mike are actually personally supervising the editing of the documentary that they have put together. A legitimate question as I'm curious as to how these things are done.

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I think an open chat with SS is fast approaching. ;) Can something be done Dave, Damin, Blaster to get some of these kinds of questions out in the open more?:eek2:

14. No personal problem at all. I just find it odd that you went from insulting the head of the company to asking for an update on a documentary after 2 days. What did you really expect happened on Sunday that Mike could offer an update on? Sorry, I just found your question to be odd.

I'm not sure what "at film POSTERS of the film" means. Anyhow, I've only read reports from two people who have actually seen the film (both at MHVF, one saw it on video and one saw it theatrically), and they both said it looked proper at 1.85:1. Further, someone else posted that Italian ads for the film used the term normally used for 1.85:1 films and did not specify scope. If Stephen Thrower writes in "Beyond Terror" that the film is scope, it doesn't prove it to me, but it makes me question why in the world it has been presented in the past at 1.85:1 both on video and in theatres.

I guess we'll see what it looks like when it finally comes out...

Er...while I know that anyone who dares stick up for an evil DVD company normally gets accused of working for them, I don't work for them and I have no idea how to get anyone from Shriek Show to do a chat.

I'm rather sorry I said anything. Back to bashing Shriek Show and demanding a 2.35:1 disc...

DJ

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2003
  15. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Whoa dude, sorry for the mix up. :eek1: I thought you were apart of Shriek Show / Media Blasters. I mean it read like you were speaking on the behalf of (forum member / Media Blaster associate) blaster. I goofed on my part. Again sorry for the mix up. ;)

16. The Chaostar

Simple: On film posters of the movie back at the 70's you can see printed on them the terms "cinemascope" and "70mm".

17. The Chaostar

The term "70mm" appears on the spanish posters. Apparently, in Spain they often made 70mm transfers of cinemascope films for projections on big screens - this has also happened with The Bird With The Crystal Plumage & Don't Torture The Duckling.

18. The Chaostar

(detail)

Of course, in some cases, the grain was a BIG problem since a lot of italian cinemascope films were shot with the 2-Perf Technoscope system - an UNBELIEVABLE italian technique for cheap widescreen films!

You see, normal film uses four perf holes per frame but those italians fixed their cameras to use only half of the frame at a time, squeezing two frames on the space of one and cutting the budget in half! - hence the excessive grain of many of those films.

19. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Cool info, The Chaostar. It's interesting to hear how some films got made. I guess that without techniques like that, we wouldn't have so many great films to collect today.

I don't think that CJ's remarks really put down the head of SS. He was just being sarcastic but, even if he wasn't, who gives a rat's ass?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  20. CJ

CJ Guest

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I am genuinely concerned that the head of a DVD company doesn't know what OAR a film is in that his company plans to release. It's not the end of civilisation if it comes out in the wrong OAR. I certainly won't lose sleep over it, even though it's a film I'm eager to see/own.

Damin is perfectly entitled to his view, and I've certainly not taken any comments personally.

However, my question as to who is actually supervising the editing of the documentary is one I would like answered.