A lizard in a woman's skin

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Vasilis, Mar 12, 2003.

1. CJ

CJ Guest

Oh, and for those who are interested, here are the specs for the documentary:

Shedding the Skin will run for 69 mins and will cover the Giallo genre with particular emphasis on Lizard and its influence on the Giallo.

The documentary will be narrated by star Penny Brown and features interviews with Florinda Balkan, Jean Sorel, Mike Kennedy, Penny Brown and the 2 FX guys, including Carlo Rambaldi.

The stars talk of their memories of London and of working with Fulci.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Guest

Theres not much information available on line about the films ratio,but the Blood and Black Lace Book,the indispensable giallo guide from Adrian Luther Smith certainly describes the films as Technicolor scope 105m.A friend of mine saw the film in France on its cinema release,and while obviously his memory is a touch hazy after 30 plus years he seems to think it was 1.85:1
    Ive seen the film ,and while I think that some of you are getting a little overexcited about a film which I think is in no ways the equal of Dont Torture..... or Beatrice Cenci you are certainly in for a treat.

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

As I wrote earlier in this thread:

"According to "Beyond Terror" I can see the longest print was shown in France at 101 minutes. The UK version was 100 minutes, and Spanish version was 88 minutes. Some sites talk about a 105 minute version though (confusing!) It was released theatrically as a 70mm print. "

95 minutes in the US NTSC would be strange....

5. CJ

CJ Guest

Still no clarification from anyone at Media Blasters? I'm patiently awaiting confirmation of disc specs before placing a pre-order.

Seems like they're none too eager to answer customers queries, are they? Oh well, think I'll wait till the disc is actually out and see what people say about it before I order mine.

6. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Isn't this getting released in a few weeks? The disc is probably done so MB won't be making any statements about it. We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm looking forward to this release and I hope that things are done right.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I find it mind-boggling that they won't make a statement, and that their own web site has not been updated. What is the aspect ratio of the disc they are releasing?!?!?!?!?!

I love Fulci, and am eager for this, but their handling of it seems odd to say the least.

8. Ralph Mouth

Ralph Mouth Guest

I find it mind-boggling the way fans are getting their knickers in a twist with Shriek Show over this whole ratio thing!

Give Shriek Show a break! From what I've read on this forum and on other's in the past, John is every bit a fan of these films as everyone else - why else would he be in the trade of distributing horror films? If it was to make money he'd probably set up a distribution company dedicated to releasing something more commercial. Instead Shriek Show put out titles like "Jungle Holocaust" and "What Have you done to Solange?" which are aimed more towards a minority. I love these films and I think its great Shriek Show are releasing them.

I suspect his silence is because he's fed up of having to answer to ungrateful horror fans on forums like this. He comes here to post news and let us know they are doing their best and I've seen the results with some of their releases that I've brought: titles like "Jungle Holocaust", "Solange", "House on the Edge of the Park", "Other Hell", "Beyond the Darkness" and "Burial Ground" spring to my mind. All prisitine prints - UNCUT - (forget the moaners who say they aren't uncut because that 2 second shot of a zombie walking along isn't in the print!) and ten times better than the old VHS bootlegs I had years ago. I could actually see what was going on in these films and am very grateful to shriek show for making them available to me. Personally I can't wait to see their releases of "Werewolf Woman" (despite what that twazzock was saying about the pubes it sounds UNCUT and a good release to me from other reviews I've read), "My Dear Killer" and "Patrick Still Lives".

The internet is great in that it has made buying horror films seem legitimate for the first time for buyers in the UK like myself - no more dodgy under the counter dealings, now we get once contencious titles off the net from on-line retailers and its not the shady buying it used to be, which is great, but the internet has also brought to my attention the slowly growing breed of nerdy horror fans who - just because they can set up a horror web site or post a few messages on the web - think that that makes them some kind of expert in the field. Well sorry sunny, your not.

I can't wait for the release of "Lizard in a Woman's Skin". John posted that he thought the film was 1.85:1, and Marc Morris has also said that the film looks right in this ratio. They are contested by some folk who have no evidence other than what they have read in books or on the IMDB. Who do I believe? The guys out their actually getting this stuff released of course. People like John and Marc Morris. Remember "City of the Living Dead" was 1.85:1 when all the other films Fulci shot at that time were 2.35:1 or what ever it is.

Yes, there are some mistakes on the Shriek Show releases, but these are easily over looked. Many releasing companies made mistakes like that. Redemption did it with some of their VHS packages years ago - did fans get in to an uproar over that? No, we were grateful we had a Redemption releasing obscurities in Britain for the first time since the video recordings Act. I think the "Last House on the Edge of the Park" mis-titling was funny. And Joh naddressed that on a thread ages ago. Horror fans are suffering from not only being a bit nerdy, but forgetful too it seems. The title has been mis-translated in the trailer too - don't get upset about it and slag off Shriek Show, its a genuine mistake. Too late to do anything about it - its a hoot. Have a laugh, and stop fecking crying about it.

The horror scene hasn't been this good in decades and yet on the net all I read are whingers and know it all's - people who aren't actually out there doing anything for the genre themselves but sit at the comupter and criticise everyhting that comes out thinking they can do better. Well do it if you can and then maybe you'll get some of that respect your so desperate to get from other fans of the genre.

Till then, I support John and Shriek Show. I believe in what Marc Morris has to say on certain issues as opposed to net gazers, I support the people who are out there doing things to help the horror industry and I feel sorry for them that they are catering to a (worryingly growing) army of moaning and ungrateful bunch of "horror fans", who can't see a good thing when its staring them in the face.

Keep up the good work Shriek Show! If this post upset you, then I'm not sorry - stop being a nerd, support the horror distributors!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2003
  9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions of course. I’ve got to say though, your little rant is a little off the mark.

--I find it mind-boggling the way fans are getting their knickers in a twist with Shriek Show over this whole ratio thing!—

Who are we kidding here? How can you simply write it off as “this whole ratio thing!” You might not care about OAR, but some of us do, because we truly believe a film is best seen in the format the Director wanted us to see it. That is why horror DVD’s are so great - obscure titles, with nothing missing, available as originally intended.

--From what I've read on this forum and on other's in the past, John is every bit a fan of these films as everyone else - why else would he be in the trade of distributing horror films? If it was to make money he'd probably set up a distribution company dedicated to releasing something more commercial.—

I sort of agree. Of course John is a fan of these films, I have never doubted that. I also do not doubt, for even a second, that he’s in it for the money. Now, that’s not an insult. This is commerce. If he is making money off these films, good for him! In fact, I own some Shriek Show titles (and will likely own this one) so some of the money he has is mine. I have no complaints about that. However, you’re going to have a hard time convincing me that John would do this as a charity to the fans. Of course he wouldn’t (nor should he!)

--I suspect his silence is because he's fed up of having to answer to ungrateful horror fans on forums like this.—

Ungrateful? His OWN web site says the thing is full screen for God’s sake (and they even got Fulci’s name wrong!) You know what – that’s sloppy. But wait, isn’t that what most of the complaints have been about? Sloppy quality control. Now, if John would just update his own damn web site, then we wouldn’t be constantly asking these questions. He must know what ratio this DVD is going to be, so just tell us dammit. If he doesn’t, then speculation will continue.

--All prisitine prints - UNCUT - (forget the moaners who say they aren't uncut because that 2 second shot of a zombie walking along isn't in the print!)—

Well, most of the time I agree with you. My favorite silly whine is when the credit sequences are not quite right. However, let’s face it, if a scene is missing, it’s not really “uncut”. It might be the best available print, but it either is, or is not, cut the way the Director wanted.

--The internet has also brought to my attention the slowly growing breed of nerdy horror fans who - just because they can set up a horror web site or post a few messages on the web - think that that makes them some kind of expert in the field. Well sorry sunny, your not.—

Oh, that old chestnut. If you begin to amass some personal knowledge beyond film titles and who is in them, you’re a “nerd”. Like actually having some knowledge about what you’re talking about is a bad thing! The Internet has allowed some of us to get a lot smarter about the things we love. Information is easier to grab, and it passes around much more quickly. That’s a good thing – and it means the people out there who purport to be experts have to be that much smarter. Again, that is not a bad thing.

--John posted that he thought the film was 1.85:1, and Marc Morris has also said that the film looks right in this ratio. They are contested by some folk who have no evidence other than what they have read in books or on the IMDB. Who do I believe? The guys out their actually getting this stuff released of course—

Heh heh. Where is their evidence? Before you start bashing the ideas of others (personally, I listed not only what I thought was correct, but my source) how about you have something to compare it too? You want me to say, “Oh yeah, it’s 1.85:1 because “it looks right”? Come on! We’re all going to have to try harder than that!

You want me to buy that this view somehow automatically overrides “books and imdb”? Utter Bullshit. Books can be wrong, IMDB can be wrong. My references were from the movie posters made at the time of the films release – I guess they could be wrong too. But in the grand scheme of things, compared with someone simply saying, “Well, it looks right”, I’d have to go with books, IMDB and the movie posters. The guys putting it out have a commercial interest the rest of us do not – that makes a huge difference. I cannot discount that. You know what – they COULD be wrong. I simply don’t know, but they could be!

--Yes, there are some mistakes on the Shriek Show releases, but these are easily over looked.—

Really? What is not easily overlooked? Seriously, they have mistakes, and you don’t care about them. At what point does accuracy matter to you? Hell, living in the UK I think you just might have gotten used to cut and messed up prints of everything, since buying horror out of the UK is a complete and utter joke. For the rest of us, adding a few minutes is NOT enough (I can see how it would be in the UK, since finding anything remotely uncut is a real chore). We want it right. We want it complete.

--Redemption did it with some of their VHS packages years ago - did fans get in to an uproar over that? No, we were grateful we had a Redemption releasing obscurities in Britain for the first time since the video recordings Act.—

You are totally missing the point. It is one I made earlier. You see, the world has changed! We have the Internet now. If you read about those early days, the magazines of the times, the fan mags etc – you’ll know people DID complain. But it was not so easy to distribute those concerns and thoughts as it is now. I could give a crap if a title is released in the UK – or the US. As long as it is somewhere. I am region free, I have the net, I can order. There is a new world of information out there – and less bullshit sticks.

--The horror scene hasn't been this good in decades and yet on the net all I read are whingers and know it all's - people who aren't actually out there doing anything for the genre themselves but sit at the comupter and criticise everyhting that comes out thinking they can do better.—

I’m sorry, but more than once in your post you have expressed angst against people who are knowledgeable on the topic of horror films - as though intelligence somehow pisses you off. That’s not a topic I can tackle here, you have a problem, it seems. All I can say is, there is nothing wrong with accruing knowledge and telling everybody what you know. There is nothing wrong with correcting those so-called authorities when they make a mistake. There is nothing wrong with demanding those companies do things right.

For your information, anyone who buys a horror DVD is doing something for the genre – we keep it alive! The distributors do their bit to be sure, but without the simple punter who hands over the cash to oil the production wheels, they’d all close down and go away overnight.

--Keep up the good work Shriek Show! If this post upset you, then I'm not sorry - stop being a nerd, support the horror distributors!—

I agree, I hope they keep up the good work and bring us titles. But your views are mightily unbalanced and anti-intellectual. Rendering your words a rant of little substance. Fortunately, there are myriad second-rate DVD horror releases available in the UK for you to consume. Vipco anyone? If it is all the same to you, I’m going to keep searching for truly, the best.

10. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

*claps*

Well Said. :)

11. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I agree, and I'm not trying to jump on any kind of bandwagon. I have 17 Shriek Show DVDs (second only to Anchor Bay), and have been pleased with most all of them. They are doing a good job of releasing these titles, but the fact that they are unsure about their product can be a bit unnerving. Ralph - your put up or shut up attitude towards these released will not help anything. If we just sit back and let them toss us the bare essentials, what's the point? We (i.e. Shriek Show fans who try to HELP the company) are doing a service to them in my opinion, in trying to help them provide the best possible product. The fact that they refuse to simply comment (yes, e-mails have been sent to them as well) on the aspect ratio of a disc scheduled to street in 5 weeks is absurd. If we simply get a little definitive answer, the bitching will stop! From me at least...

12. CJ

CJ Guest

Why? Aspect ratios are part and parcel of DVDs now, the buying public has grown used to seeing films as they were shot. So why are we not entitled to ask the same of a company like Shriek Show?

I think it's great also that Shriek Show are releasing these films, I never said it wasn't. However, I also expect them to do it right. John is a fan of these films? So where's his input in this discussion then? A fan would be eager to set the record straight! Well, wouldn't they..?

We are not ungrateful fans who are constantly whinging, I buy as many DVDs here as anybody else - so my money has also gone to help support future genre releases. Listen, if I went into an electrical retailers and asked about a TV set and the guy just said 'Oh stop asking questions - you can see the picture, can't you? So what's the problem?' I would be highly unlikely to make a purchase - after all, the retailer just thinks I'm a 'whinger' for asking about the product I plan to buy....

It's all about information sharing. Nothing wrong with that, is there? And hey - look at you - you're posting...no...whingeing on a message board! Jeez...the nerve of these people with PC's! They should be locked up for presuming to know ANYTHING!

Well, since you're such good friends with John, could you please ask him what the ratio for their DVD of Lizard is going to be..?

Oh stop whining. Can't I make a legitimate observation/complaint without some nerd on a PC whingeing about it..??

I'm not desperate for any respect, thank you very much! I couldn't give a fuck what people think about me. I mean you're so pally with Shriek Show - so how come you didn't post up the documentary specs then...?

These people are NOT my friends. When the product is good and done properly I will make a purchase and thereby financially support the company. If they do it wrong, then my money goes elsewhere. That's how business works.

Okay, I'll do my best not to be a nerd and post complaining messages on forums. I wouldn't want to be like that Ralph Mouth fella, all he does is complain about people complaining...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2003
  13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- 'Oh stop asking questions - you can see the picture, can't you? So what's the problem?'--

:lol: :lol: :lol:

14. CJ

CJ Guest

Reading through my post above, I admit that it's a little harsh and punctuated with some biting sarcasm.

Let me explain my position more clearly - I also live in the UK and yes, I remember the dark days of bootlegging and watching nth generation tapes just to see the films I was desperate to see. However, the world has moved on, and these films are now readily available on a digital format and freely accessible via online retailers. Of course I'm happy about that, and yes, it is better than watching dodgy videos.

However, I am sick of people telling me how grateful I should be. Grateful that these films are available at all. Grateful that the BBFC are less strict. Blah blah blah blah ad nauseum.

No, I'm not grateful that the BBFC cut House on the Edge of the Park by a little under 12 minutes. No, I am not grateful that Last House on the Left lost 31 seconds to the censor. I am not grateful that the BBFC are 20 years behind the rest of the world. So we can finally buy Contamination uncut - whoopy-fucking-doo. At this rate, films that are released this year I'll be able to see uncut in 2023. And don't hold your breath for Ilsa, Nekromantik etc etc.

But God, I am so thankful for what we DO have. Our censors are so caring... :rolleyes:

Likewise for DVD releases - I'm sick of being told how grateful I should be for these films being on DVD at all. Erm, newsflash, these films sell - that's why they're releasing them! If they weren't, companies like Blue Underground, Anchor Bay and, yes, Shriek Show, would all have shut up shop by now. So I guess there's money to be made after all..?

No, the universe won't fall apart if Lizard is in the wrong ratio. No, it won't cause the collapse of Western civilisation. But what it WILL do is cause a bunch of 'nerdy' horror fans to be become extremely pissed off. And if I'm a nerd for wanting a film to be presented in the best possible way that it can be - then so be it, I'm a nerd.

Yup - just call me....

SUPERNERD!!!!

Actually, call me whatever you like - I'll never meet you, I don't know you - so what do I care?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2003
  15. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

What's whinging? I think that the original post meant to say whining.

This debate isn't too productive, unless a repeat of the Inferno thread is the intention. Besides, I think that we're all on the same side when it comes to OAR and original language (hopefully with subs) included on each DVD.

16. CJ

CJ Guest

'Whingeing' is a uniquely British expression for 'moaning' or 'whining'.

I agree that this debate has become somewhat unproductive in the lack of any real information coming from MB.

I'm just rather surprised that some people have taken my questioning of Shriek Show so personally.

17. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I learn something new everyday. Is the 'g' pronounced hard or soft?

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

WIN-JING

19. newt

newt Guest

When is this DVD coming out???

20. Andrew

Andrew Guest

July 29th.