A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Master vs. The Dream Child

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Kim Bruun, Apr 1, 2012.

?

Which is better?

1. The Dream Master

39 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. The Dream Child

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

The adventures of spunky, likable Alice and her stud muffin companion Danny.

Robert Englund Called The Dream Master the "MTV Nightmare on Elm Street", and the soundtrack features, among others, The Divinyls, Blondie, Billy Idol, Sinéad O'Connor, and starring actress Tuesday Knight opens the show with her popular song, 'Nightmare'. Freddy is firmly grounded in pop culture, and we are treated to some imaginative dream sequences, such as one character being sucked into a movie screen and another being messily transformed into a cockroach.

The Dream Child dramatises some of Freddy's backstory and re-introduces his mother. We get to see a very literal rebirth of Freddy, and iconic dream deaths include on character having his skin boiling off as he fuses to his motorcycle and another being transformed into a two-dimensional comic book character and cut to pieces. Despite tackling such mature themes as pregnancy and abortion, this installment also has Freddy at his chattiest.

Which do you prefer?

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Dream Master. I saw this at a German theater once, but the movie was dubbed and heavily censored. It was still nice to have seen it on the big screen though, or what was left of it.
    Dream Child isn't too bad either, love the visual style in that one.

3. Kim Bruun

I loved The Dream Master as a kid, and when I revisited it last month, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Freddy is a bit mouthy, but he is still a fun pop icon rather than a caricature of himself - and there are still some gross-out moments, such as one character's fiery demise. It is definitely lighter than the first two Nightmares, but it still manages a creepy opening sequence, where dreaming Kristen meets a little girl outside Freddy's house. The girl tells her that Freddy isn't home, and that works for me. Evil is gone for the time being, but its domain remains, awaiting its return.

Of course, with the reprise of Lisa Wilcox and Danny Hassel (he's GAWGEOUS!), I went in thinking I would enjoy The Dream Child just as much, but I didn't. The idea of Freddy striking through Alice's dreaming baby is brilliant, and I liked the idea of returning to a darker Freddy. But the movie pulls awkwardly in two directions. Freddy has some truly terrible lines ("It's a boooy!", "Hey Danny, better not dream and drive!", "Faster than a bastard maniac, more powerful than a loco madman, it's Super Freddy!"), and Englund hamming them up only emphasises how jarring and unfunny they are. Some of the supporting characters are overwrought as well, particularly Greta's mother and Mark. Given the subject matter, I think a more straight approach would have been more satisfactory.

4. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Dream Child was my least favorite of the series.Dream Master is cheesy fun.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'll be surprised if someone votes for 5. if anyone does, please explain

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i hope warner bros releases 4/5 on blu-ray this year

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Dream Child sucked, bottom line. Dream Master isn't masterpiece cinema or anything, but easily better than Child.

8. Kim Bruun

I feel silly now for making this poll. I didn't expect it to be quite so onesided. I always thought that someone would be amused by the very things I dislike about this one, i.e. the oneliners and the overwrought acting.

9. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I'll always have a soft spot for part 5, since it was the first one I ever saw. It was on USA Network back in the day (remember when they used to play more than just Law & Order re-runs?) and I watched it with my Dad. I think part 2 came on after that. It was a whole lot of fun.

However, part 4 is probably the better film. I love the fun atmosphere, the creative set pieces, the music, and it had a terrific cast of characters who I actually really rooted for.

The only entry in the series I openly hate is Freddy's Dead, which is surprising, cause I remembered enjoying it (and even being a little freaked out by it) as a kid. All the others have something redeemable about them. I'm always surprised by the teen characters in these films and how much I like them as compared to, say, most of the Friday the 13th or Halloween movies where there's usually a few people to root for and the rest are all a bunch of ass clowns.

10. Kim Bruun

Freddy's Dead is also the Nightmare I like the least. The cast is game (Breckin Meyer is adorable with his big nose), but the oneliners and the comedy (the bed of nails, the video game death, etc.) are just too forced. The Dream Master got the balance between humour and thrills right, IMO.

The Dream Child does indeed have some redeeming features, but for me, they are on the conceptual level. I also did appreciate Wilcox and Hassel returning, but on the whole, it remains a frustrating and unsatisfying movie for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Dream Master was a much more entertaining film for me than Dream Child. Dream Child is where I lost all interest in the franchise, it was certainly one of the worst horror films of that immediate time period as I recall. That scene that recalled the artwork of Escher was pretty well conceived though.
    I still love the first two and New Nightmare, Freddy was much better off as a silent, predatory entity. The wise ass, loud mouth, wise cracking character of later films turned Krueger into a household name, but sort of alienated me from the series.

12. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Both are middle of the road Elm Street flicks for me, but I like Master better.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

+1

14. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I love how unanimous the poll is right now at 17 participants. I quite enjoy The Dream Master, but Dream Child is a hunk of shit. For realz.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i hate dream child more than freddy's dead!!!

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

its a worthwhile poll, if only to reveal that one forum member who secretly loves the super freddy scene. come on, you know you're out there!

i wrote a big post with my thoughts on the entire series a few years back, before checking out the remake, so i'll quote from myself here to describe my feelings about the 5th one:

17. Kim Bruun

I would love to say that outing said forum member was my plan all along, but I honestly did not imagine that The Dream Child was so unpopular. That said, whomever wrote that dreadful video game scene in Freddy's Dead must have been a fan of Super Freddy - so much so that he had Spencer eat a power apple and say "Super Spencer!"

That said, I think you have a really good point regarding Dream Child "blowing its wad too early". Not only with the way it is revealed how Freddy is using the dream state of Alice's unborn baby, but also with the way too early death of Dan. With him gone, Alice, as you say, is the only person left we care about. And she's poorly written in this one - she's supposed to be a resourceful young woman, but she blabs about Freddy with total disregard for the company she's in, making her doctor question her sanity and her inlaws doubt her as a fit mother. I can buy that she would try to enlist her friends, partly because they're in danger, but she puts herself in an awkward - and dangerous - position. Also, racing against the clock to find Freddy's mother (who is the only one who can stop Freddy, apparently), she allows her concerned father to take her home while her friend searches alone. Really? With that much at stake?! Thank God the woman proved so easy to find!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  18. killit

killit Active Member

I like dream child, I just like master more, liked dan and alice a lot, wish he woulda lived but what a spectacularly cool way to die.

19. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Even though I consider a mortal sin when in movies or tv shows the same character is played by two actors (I'm referring to Patricia Arquette from Dream warriors) I still prefer Dream Master instead of Dream whatever is part 5.

20. smileysmile18

smileysmile18 New Member

Oh jeez, I didn't plan on commenting, just voting, but I guess seeing as how I'm the only person voting for part 5......

I really like certain scenes in both, but I prefer the overall atmosphere to part 5. The music in the opening credits freaked me out as a kid when I saw it, and then the whole next scene is terrific. I love the asylum location, and it's used really well throughout. I agree that killing Dan off was a mistake, but then part 4 had already made the same mistake by killing off the Dream Warriors, and the replacement kids are pretty annoying.

Also, I'm not a fan of super freddy, but it's no more ridiculous than part 4's fire pissing dog, or Freddy's glove as a shark fin just before he explodes out of a sand castle. That said, the scene in part 4 where Alice and Dan are caught in a time loop is probably one of the best sequences in the entire series.

Lastly, I like Escher-esque perspective stuff, so the mad staircase climax of Dream Child always appealed to me.