A Quiet Place (April 6th)

Discussion in 'General' started by CPT HOOK, Mar 22, 2018.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Surprised there wasn't a thread for this one yet. In theaters April 6th.

Reviews have been glowing. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for now.

Rated PG-13 for terror and some bloody images.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

The trailer shows you 99% of the movie.
    Post apocalyptic alien invasion ala Cloverfeild family trying to survive blah blah blah.

3. CPT HOOK

A Quiet Place opens in theaters tonight. I'm aiming for the 7:00PM showing.

The 100% on Rotten Tomatoes has been slightly derailed (98%), but 101 positive reviews out of 103 isn't too shabby.

Anyone else catching it in theaters this weekend?

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I'll probably wait until the middle of next week for it. I haven't had many bad movie theater experiences with annoying people but the ones I've had mostly were during horror movies. And something like this where there are probably a lot of quiet stretches with little dialog, someone talking or making noise is going to be extra noticeable for me. Wednesday at 11 am is usually when I'll see something like this.

Natas likes this.
  5. CPT HOOK

Yeah, this is a big concern for me as well. Especially since you'll be hearing candy wrappers, people munching on popcorn, etc. Thursday night usually isn't too bad (at least I'm banking on that), but I'd definitely be careful about going to see this on Friday night, Saturday, or Sunday.

I'm planning on seeing Blockers this weekend as well, but that type of movie generally works best with a rowdy Friday or Saturday night crowd.

Natas likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

Saw A Quiet Place earlier tonight and thought it was great. Theater was about 2/3rds full, and surprisingly the audience was dead silent and extremely well behaved. The woman to my left watched the entire movie from the collar of her shirt (c'mon, it's not that scary).

The critics scores are almost unanimously glowing, but I'm curious how the audience scores will be because I didn't think this was a very mainstream movie. In fact, it's the type of movie that usually only us heavy horror fans love. I was really surprised by the theater turnout and it's projected at a possibly $40+ million opening weekend.

Anyway, aside from two scenes, the movie is entirely dialogue free. At least spoken dialogue, as sign language and subtitles are used throughout, but even that is pretty sparse. It's extremely character heavy (which pays off beautifully in the finale), and the first half of the movie is a lot of lengthy silent character beats that will probably bore most mainstream audiences to tears. You have to be patient to get to the suspenseful creature feature stuff.

There's a scene early in the movie where Lee lights a fire and looks out into the hills around him, seeing multiple fires in the distance, responding that there are others out there who we never see. I'd be game to see their stories, and given the box office predictions, I expect we will.

Workshed likes this.
  7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Holy smokes. That's impressive. Reviews have been pretty good so far.

8. CPT HOOK

Took in $4.3 million from last night alone. Looks to be a very impressive opening weekend for a horror film.

Interestingly, the director (and star) says he's not a horror fan.

I'm still curious what general audiences will think of it. Given the glowing critic reviews and early hype, I feel like there's going to be a lot of "eh, it's not that great" on the way.

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

The theater a little further away was playing this at 10 this morning, so I decided to try my luck and beat the crowds. That didn't work, the theater was packed. The audience was mostly good, the guy next to me received a few texts and emails on his phone, but nothing too distracting. I'm not sure if other people experience this, but the theaters here suck because you can always hear the movie next to you really well, so during the many silent parts of A Quiet Place I got to listen to music and action scenes from Black Panther. It's like they skimped on soundproofing. It's odd watching a quite intense dramatic scene and hearing slightly muffled action movie sound effects louder than the movie you're watching.

Anyway, I really liked this one. Some really tense scenes toward the end, and great use of sound throughout. I'm not a sound guy, but I thought it was used very well here. I also appreciate the brisk pace and running time, it really helps with this kind of story to not draw it out or overcomplicate it. A couple of "wait, why didn't the characters think of that before" moments at the end, but that's really just nitpicking with this kind of movie.

Workshed likes this.
  10. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Saw it tonight and really enjoyed it. Krasinski did a great job keeping the story moving and creating characters you really care about (kudos to all the actors who are excellent.) The creature design is fantastic and surprisingly they get a lot of screen time.

A Quiet Place reminded me of It Comes At Night in a lot of ways but I found this much more satisfying.

There are definitely elements you can pick at regarding the premise but I can overlook a lot when the film is well-executed. Will be interested to see Krasinski's future projects as director.

11. CPT HOOK

Performed beyond expectations with a $50 million opening. Pretty huge for horror.

Curious how it will hold this weekend against Rampage and Truth Or Dare.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Caught this Sunday afternoon and thought it was damn good. Impressed with Krasinski's directorial chops here as the set-up and tension are very well done, and him actually not really being a horror fan it's like he knew the trappings and tells of the genre inside and out so he definitely did his homework. The entire cast are great and it actually manages to engage the audience and even pull on the emotional heart strings at more than one moment. Also loved how it took the risks of only giving just enough information for the story to work and not conforming to explaining every possible detail
    and even not finitely resolving in the end.
    Thought that made the film pay off in a more satisfying, intelligent way and elevated it even more.

13. CPT HOOK

With Paramount involved, there were early talks of this being the new Cloverfield movie, but that was abandoned.

Also, hot on the success of A Quiet Place, Krasinski has already booked his next movie, a science fiction thriller called Life On Mars.

14. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

Finally managed to catch this one.

I thought it was really good. As others mentioned, the performances are solid. The concept is interesting. And the set pieces are pretty effectively handled.

I will say that after the film was over, there were a ton of questions and inconsistencies that popped up pretty quickly. On a whole, the larger story doesn't hold up to a lot of scrutiny. But, I have to admit that the film moved so fast that I didn't really think of them while it was running. It's really all about setting up and then executing the set-pieces and that is all done really well.

I would also add that the whole film kinda felt like it could have been an M. Night Shyamalan film, like a spiritual follow-up to Signs.

15. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Active Member

While I'm happy to see a horror movie make a ton of money, A Quiet Place just didn't do it for me. There are plenty of shocks, but the characters are unknown and there are too many plot holes. I did enjoy parts, but still can't get over the nail in the stairs. I'm not sure how its appearance is possible, or why no one else ever stepped on it. Things like that irked me. In all, it's okay.

russweiss likes this.
  16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I felt about the same. Most everyone says how great the film is and I'm glad to see a horror/sci-fi film make money in the theater but it didn't do anything for me. The trailer really blew a lot of the story which is always unfortunate. I'm hoping for more from the sequel.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I found it to be very well made and acted, with some strong suspense moments. I cannot fully set aside the fact that there is a way to rid these characters (and humanity in general) from this menace that should be obvious to anyone who just thinks about their limitations. These things have an obvious weakness and the idea that it takes our heroes so long to come up with a plan of action was a little hard for me to swallow. It's a fun film but not as smart as it wants to be.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Gonna pick up the bluray DVD combo pack on July 10. Bestbuy stores is getting a sweet looking Steelbook bluray DVD combo no 4K steel.

19. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I really enjoyed this!

20. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I heard the hype. I watched the trailer. And finally sat down to watch A Quiet Place.... for about 30 minutes, then i gave up. What tedious, boring drivel. Who cares about these idiots!?! Obviously not one for me.

On the upside, I guess the script for the inevitable sequel won't take very long to write