A Snake in June

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

** KINDA SORTA SPOILERS (at a level with reading the back of the box)**

Part erotica, part thriller, part surreal.

Supressed emotions, societal ills, mind-body conundrums.

Life, Death, Marriage.

That about sums up my first viewing of "A Snake in June". Shinya Tsukamoto directs, only the second film I've seen him direct (the other being Tetsuo, which I didn't much care for).

Part Erotica

Rinko and her husband are in a sexless, yet not loveless marriage. Rinko is sent pictures of herself, and a phone. The man at the other end of the phone encourages her to "do what she wants". He has photos of her masturbating in her house, taken through a window. He promises her that she can have the negatives if she "does what she wants". This involves dressing normally and walking to a pulic restroom. In the restroom she must change into a VERY short skirt, and remove her underwear. Then he tells her to walk through a department store. Then into a sex store, where she must buy a remote controlled vibrator. Inserting the vibrator, she is to leave the remote control for the stranger to pick up. Then, he guides her back to a grocery store.......

Part Thriller

Rinko is clearly being stalked. In a society where overt displays of sexuality are not accepted, he is leading her into a darker world. Yet this man knows where she lives, knows her husband and where she works. He has even taken vouyeuristic pictures of her. Can she find him before her husband finds out? And what is it that he really wants from her?

Part Surreal

Captured and tied to a chair, Rinko's husband is forced, with a group of others, to watch his wife participate in a gang bang. Then, two lovers are seen in a tank, a tank that is filling with water. Drowning as his own physical relationship has drowned.

Supressed Emotions

What is the nature of love? Love is an emotional thing, but can it be sustained simply through being together? What is the role of the sex, of touching? When couples stop making love, is their desire gone, diminished, or merely repressed?

Societal Ills

If it is someones job to care for others, who can care for them? How will others look upon the weakness of a carer? Why is it okay for women to be whores for their husbands, but not to dress provocatively in public?

Mind-body Conundrums

We are not always what we seem. How is that strangers can sometimes see in us what the closest to us have failed to see? How is it that nubile flesh can sometimes harbor the most evil, dangerous, and destructive of things? When a lovd one is being eaten from the inside out, how does it make us feel about our own bodies, and what does the threat of being a survivor do to our loved ones?

Life

Love and caring come out in many different ways. Sometimes, although the path has been lost, it is true that couples are still moving in the right direction, even though they feel as though they're not. Love is forever, a true marriage is too. If you emotionally or mentally lose your partner, you must seek them out, in any way you can. How would you live your life if you had complete freedom to do whatever you please? Whom would you be with? Given a choice, with sacrifices and gains on either side, would you really choose life over death? Where is the balance between the two?

Death

The finite is one the scariest things we must all face. Everything we know will eventually come to an end. Once we stop measuring time, isn't it over? Faith is fragile, and can be lost in a moment. Yet facing ones own mortality can be both confusing and enlightening. Having a limit on your time, a finite space in which to achieve some goal, can get us focused, for how ever a brief a moment, and allow us to feel something new. Yet, death can't be avoided. What must we do before our final moments? have we really experienced everything we must before we die? What if, during the final weeks of our life, we realize we have made a mistake, or missed an opportunity?

Marriage

Even the trapped can feel love for their captor. In a society where a change of mind is insufficient reason to jettison a partner, love can indeed flourish. Yet is love enough? Mistakes DO happen, and sometimes a pursuer can be driven by the right reasons.

A Snake in June is a good film - far better than Tetsuo. Check it out. Anyone else?

2. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

watch Tsukamoto's Bullet Ballet... :) I liked that one alot.
    Haven't seen this one yet though.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Bullet Ballet? I sure will. He's gone up in my estimation after this one. I went through the plot with my wife, and now she's eager to watch it - so a second viewing will come soon.

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Erm.... Snake OF June :rolleyes:

Rewatched this one. It's actually even more erotic that I remembered the first time. I enjoyed watching it again, but some of the mystery had, of course, disapated. Still, the method of filmmaking here - the documentary style - adds a unique flavor to the proceedings. Watching people who are so alive, slowly dying, it quite a potent mix.

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I also liked this one, and I too believe it is a better film than Tetsuo. Tetsuo though retains an enthusiasm that isn't to be found in Tsukamoto's latest efforts.

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I need to watch this. I've had the DVD for a couple months now, but I just haven't thrown it in. I'd like to get the rest of his films on DVD. Right now I've only got this one, Tetsuo (the old Image release) and Hiruko.

7. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I am not sure what I think about this one. It was visually stunning to be sure, and, as noted, it often touched on emotionally resonating issues. However, it seemed like it just touched on them. When given the chance to really dive in, the movie didn't go there. I found that very frustrating - just when I was ready to surrender to the moment, something without fail stopped me. With all of the visual treats, I was often quite captivated by A Snake of June. However, in the end, it really left me feeling unsatisfied.

I only tracked this one down because I was so keen on Vital. I liked that one much better. I am still curious about the director's other works though. He has a very unique style to his work. I think I may like it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2006
  8. gorelover

gorelover Guest

Speaking of Vital, that's a film I recommend highly. IMHO it's Tsukamoto's most "complete" work as a director so far. Especially the cinematography is stunning.
    Just don't expect something like his hyper-kinetical early works, though there are bits & pieces of that style in this film, too. But he's really made several steps forward with this one...I wonder what will be next. :)

-gl

9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Just saw this movie- just wanted to say I thought it was great- the filming and music was amazing- i sort of got what it was trying to say- but after reading this thread it makes it even a little more clear now- surreal but enticing film- a smart edgy art film IMO