A Tale of Two Sisters (2008)

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

[​IMG][​IMG]

IMDB Plot Outline: "Based on a classic Korean folk tale infused with '70s British horror. The DreamWorks version centers on modern-day teenage sisters Anna and Alex Rydell who return home from a mental hospital only to find their recovery unraveling because of a cruel stepmother, clueless father and a lingering ghost."

A remake of the Korean fave, this slated-for-2008 release features Elizabeth Banks, so that makes me lower my mob torch...a bit.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

Hrm.

I kind of doubt this could be as gorgeous and as good as the original, but I guess I'll see. I'm open enough to the remake. :D

3. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I loved the original. I hope this doesn't suck.

dmeister

4. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I found the original to overly hyped. It wasn't bad, but wasn't a great example of an Asian horror. I'll be seeing this though.

5. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Odd. I actually thought it was one of the better examples of Asian horror I've seen over the years...

dmeister

6. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, not so odd. I don't happen to jive with some commonly held views in Asian cinema. The Eye is another one that I found to be a Hollywood film made in a foreign langauge, robbing it of energy. The Grudge was another flop - and as for Pulse...... Tales of Two Sisters was alright, but it isn't a classic. I'd say the majority agree with your view, I just don't happen to agree. ;)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  7. dmeister

dmeister New Member

I guess I'm just a sucker for hollywood-inspired films then, because I thoroughly enjoyed both A Tale of Two Sisters and The Eye (though the sequel was marginal). And, frankly, I find myself enjoying flicks like One Missed Call, Shutter (at least until a Fatal Frame movie comes out), Suicide Circle, Premonition, Acacia, etcetera, more than many horror flicks made here in the US.

Of course, my favorite Asian flick of all-time is still Versus. ;)

dmeister

8. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Count me in the minority that didn't like A Tale of Two Sisters. A couple of friends and I drove into Cambridge to see it, based on the all the positive reviews, and all three of us hated it. It was nicely shot I suppose but the whole movie, to me anyway, felt like a bad case of "been there, done that" and don't even get me started on the ending. It was if they couldn't decide which overused cliche ending of modern horror they wanted to use so they just used the two biggest offenders. I'll pass on this remake.

9. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Fair enough, we're all into different things. There are plenty of Asian horror films I highly rate - Acacia and Premonition among them (along with Dark Water, The Ring etc.) It's just that - for the films mentioned - I found a lack of scares and the influence of Hollywood (take the big ending at the climax of The Eye as an example) to deflate a possibly good piece of foreign cinema.

In one regard, assuming characteristics of Hollywood genre films is smart, because it allows foreign audience more used to a certain style to more easily consume it. In the case of some of these, I found it a detriment.

And - I've owned Versus for over a year, but have yet to play it. :D

As if often the case with highly hyped movies (and Tale of Two Sisters fits this catagory) they're really ripe to causing dissatifaction. No way they could live up to what people were writing at the time, imo.

10. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Wow, those two girls dont look like sisters at all. One must be adopted ;P
    I enjoyed the original but really have no intention of seeing this, I'm not one to bitch about remakes, but this film just really didnt need it....

11. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, maybe same father.... different mother.... or vice-versa. It's a modern film after all. :D

Oh, and which remakes NEEDED a remake?

12. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I thought ATOTS was alright. I wasn't blown away by it.

13. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I agree with you. For me, it was the best example of Asian horror that I'd ever seen. Some a-holes stole my copy so I'll be re-purchasing this again. Very original and creepy... great movie.

14. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

I didn't care for the original, but then again I am one of the few who doesn't care for Asian "horror" flicks (sorry but water, long hair, and children are not even remotely scary to me--they all seem to have the same "haunted" theme and it has all gotten very old very quickly for me). And don't get me started on the over-stylized, under-scary Italian ones either. :)

15. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Isn't that the girl from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events?

I quite enjoyed the original and I really think this could work americanized if done by the right people...but I don't know anything about the people who're writing or directing it. I'll give it a chance but there's this part of me that's sure it won't work out.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm not a fan of Asian horror (and I think Audition and Ringu are horribly overrated), but I did enjoy A Tale of Two Sisters. I guess the remake has the potential to be good, as long as they don't go the teeny bopper route.

I thought The Ring was much better than the original, so anything is possible. :D

17. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

original was great- America please stop making american versions of these great asian films cuz you suck at it- im scared about the american remakes of other excellent asian films like the eye and shutter that I hear are in the works right now