A Tale of Two Sisters

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Cydeous, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Has anyone seen this Korean film? I recently saw it at a film festival and I loved it. There is an R3 double DVD of this that is very tempting (if I had a region free player). Does anyone have it and can comment on it?

Apparently, the rights to do a Hollywood remake have been bought. It's supposed to get a 2004 theatrical release. If that happens, then I'm sure that the original will get an R1 release. However, we all know how these things sometimes turn out.

2. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

I have the R3 2disc of this. Got it from DVDAsian. What a beautiful set it is! It comes with a collectible frame of film and I believe a few hundred or so of these will have autographs included.

I had heard so much about this that I was afraid that it'd be overhyped. That wasn't the case at all. Part ghost story/part psychological horror, this film is another example of why Asian horror is miles ahead of anything being done on these shores. While I was watching, I couldn't help think that this would be the kind of film that a young Roman Polanski would've made. Go check this out now. Now I gotta get cash to get another Korean horror called Memories Of Murder that just came out.

ANd yes, the remake rights led to a bidding war and Dreamworks won - for a tidy sum of $2MIL!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  3. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Memories of Murder was more of a serial killer/drama/suspense film than a horror flick. I've got both A Tale of Two Sisters and Memories of Murder on order though, so I'll let you know for sure just as soon as I've seen them. Also, to anyone potentially interested in the R3 KOREAN limited edition of Memories of Murder, it's going out of print very soon with a suspected release of a standard version.

4. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

Thanks for the info. I really want this but I don't have a region free player. Does anyone know if PC DVD drives are region coded and if so, is there a software work around?

How does "Memories of Murder" compare to this film? Are there any other notable films that you can recommend? I've seen quite a few of the Japanese splatter films that I enjoy but wouldn't purchase. I prefer real horror to gore.

5. taxidriver6

taxidriver6 New Member

From my understanding they all are, or at least mine is. There are programs out there you can by that will make your PC DVD drive region-free like DVD Genie, etc. Below is a link courtesy of DVDTalk that allows for a free 30 day test period of DVD Region Free. Check it out.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=297574&perpage=25&pagenumber=2

6. apl

apl Guest

anybody know anything about a hong kong release of this film? $35 seems a bit steep for a blind buy! thanks,
    aaron

7. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

8. Trucci

Trucci Guest

Incredible movie, easily one of the best horror films I've seen in awhile. Boy do I have a lot of questions. I think it'd be better to discuss when more people have seen this little gem.

Also I've heard lots of good things about Memories of Murder. It's also topping the ticket sales at #1 this year in Korea including import films.

9. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

www.cd-wow.net has a single disc R3 DTS version for a mere $13.99. I ordered as a blind buy because I really loved this director's contribution to the Three trilogy called Memories.

10. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

That disc is €13.99, not $. It's still a good price, though. Too bad the 2 disc version's 2nd disc is in Korean only. Hopefully this will make it to R1 since the US remake is being made in 2004.

11. Vincent Pina

Vincent Pina New Member

If you click on the American flag to the left side of the page when you enter the website, it will convert to dollars, and it is actually $13.95.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  12. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I just watched this movie and liked it A LOT. It was atmospheric, heart breaking, scary, and just all around good storytelling. I appreciate that they took the time to tie up just enough loose ends in the movie that we can have a basic idea of what happened, but didn't belabor the point. There is still just enough room for personal intepretation.

Also, all the acting was stellar. A few scenes it was almost hard to believe it wasn't a documentary because it was just so realistic.

At any rate, another good recommendation from the Asian horror forum. Thanks a lot.

13. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I thought you'd like it, onebyone. I think that there is going to be an American re-make of this film but it is supposed to be directed by the same director of the original. Although it doesn't need a re-make, at least the original's director will be involved.

14. Trucci

Trucci Guest

Kim Ji-Woon is directing the remake? Crap, does that mean he's going to Hollywood?

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I thought the film was great. I was looking for the 2 disk set but if the extras are in Korean with no Subs then there really is no point spending the extra money.

16. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I finally got around to watching this today, after picking up the 2 disc set. I must say , this movie just blew me away. I can definitally rank it among my favorites, I found it to be just that good.

I quoted OnebyOne here because this is just one of the many things that I found about this movie that worked so well. I wouldn't exactly say this scared me, it had a few jump scares, but overall it was more creepy then scary. The music used was fantastic, and I thought it fit the mood of the movie perfectly. But what really got me was
    the twist at the end
    ...I loved it.

For anyone interested in checking this out, I'd have to say try to go into it knowing as little as possible, it will enhance the experiance.

I bought the 2 disc set as I said above, it comes in a nice slipcase and the film frame is cool. The extras are in Korean without English, but I do look forward to going through the few ones that won't matter, like the deleted scenes.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2004
  17. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Is the quality on the single and two-disc releases more or less the same?

18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have the single disc HK release. The guy who sold it to me said the quality was pretty much the same. Since he could have made more money by selling me the 2-disc version, I trusted him. The HK version is amazing...great picture, and fantastic DTS sound. Pick it up, if you haven't already.

As for the movie, I was really impressed. This is exactly the kind of movie I've been looking for, and I can't wait to watch it again. Great atmosphere, camera work, story, everything. Easily one of the best horror films of the last few years.

If only the distributors would unclench their keisters and let us show it at our film festival in the fall...

19. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I can't speak for the 2 disc since I also got the single, but I am amazed at the quality of the transfer on this. The detail is amazing, which helps since the movie uses very detailed wardrobe and furniture fabrics. This is a
    must buy if you are region free.

20. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Watched this movie yesterday. Very cool film with a great twist. Blows anything M. Night Shymahanahayama did right out of the water.