A Tale of Two Sisters

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Cydeous, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Can't wait to pick this one up... it sounds like a killer disc. :banana:

3. tobaccoman

tobaccoman White, Proud, and Stupid

I'll definitely be picking this up as I have yet to see it. I can't wait. I totally missed thise on this weeks releases. I'll have to wait until next week when I get paid to grab this and Orgazmo.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That would be triple-dipping for me.

Unfortunately, this makes my Hong-Kong R3 bare-bones edition quite worthless now.

But I'm never getting rid of my Korean 2-disc version, with the strip of film. That has a boatload of extras too, except I don't speak Korean...

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I guess I am pretty much the only person on here who did not like this movie. I simply thought it was a big mix of stuff we have seen all too often lately...
    From the 'ghost' with the long black hair who moves all creepy and makes scary noises to the twist ending that has been done dozens of times (Fight Club, Haute Tension, Identity, The Machinist, Secret Window)
    I really did not think this movie was anything at all special or original.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

But it's more than that.

The cinematography is among the best I've ever seen, and the sets rival Suspiria. The pacing of the film, from slow to fast back to slow, along with quiet/loud/quiet is also amazing.

Some things may be overused plot devices, like the
    younger sister being dead
    , but it took several viewings for me to finally realize that
    the "stepmother" (I don't think she even is married to the father) is not in the film until the very end! The older sister is imagining TWO people!
    Finally, it's very unique in the final scene. Most (western) films would play that up as a big climactic scene, but instead we get
    Su-Mi calmly walking to the lake as her sister is dying a horrible death upstairs

Eric's complaints remind me a lot of people bitching about The Others, in that if you can figure out the ending, it must not be a good movie. That's bunk. It's the ride there that makes a movie so good, and the ride does not get any better than A Tale of Two Sisters.

7. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I did figure out the ending, as I have at alot of movies...I can still appreciate the beauty of the craft...this movie simply did nothing for me. Just because you can figure out the ending (or simply because you had it spoiled for you...how many people can watch something like Psycho or The Crying Game and not already know the twist? They still will probably end up liking the movie) I felt it existed purely on the ending alone with no worthwhile ride to get me there. As for
    She was imagining TWO people! All I could think of was the movie Adaptation with Nicholas Cage ranting "The killer, the cop, and the victim are all the same person! Isn't that fucked up!?" And that line was meant to show us he was simply a bad writer.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

This thread caused me to revisit the film and it is still wonderful. I'm glad Tartan is starting to sell stuff in the states now. I was kind of confused when I started seeing their name on DVD's without the little "import" sticker.

9. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Actually, the
    female apparition with long black hair has been a common motif in asian horror for a long time (as in well before movies ever existed)
    . As a comparison, it would be like watching a film about vampires and complaining that every vampire movie has the same vampires with sharp teeth and the penchant to drink blood, not cast reflection, etc etc etc...

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Good point Z

That also goes a little towards explaining why those Morning Musume girls were so freaked in that Ring video.

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I just picked up the new Tartan region 1 DVD of this and have watched it for the 3rd time. Never have I seen a film that I enjoy more with each viewing. This movie is fast cracking my top 5 all time favorites and pretty much taken my top spot in Asian films. Its so beautiful to look at and so well paced. Even knowing the ending already doesn't dull the viewing experience for me.

A must see if you haven't already.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You're not beating a dead horse at all. It's an amazing film. I'll get that Region 1 disc eventually, but I'm in no rush since I already have the Korean special edition with all the same features (except the extras aren't subbed). Also, I had to watch the movie a few times to prepare for showing it at our film festival (where I couldn't even see the film, the theater was so crowded), and then saw it twice on it's brief theatrical run a few months later.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I finally got around to watching this one last night - I've owned the damn thing for months and months......

A worthy entry into Asian horror for sure. As I often find, the thing is so beautiful to look at (aided by a transfer to DVD that is a wonder to behold), that even when the film is simply providing long shots of rooms, people, and countryside - it's a stunning thing to SEE.

The Director also provides us with some great close ups of legs, feet, eyes, hands and on objects. The camera work is very fluid, flowing over everything on the set including floors, bed clothes, the wallpaper and more. He's just sucking in every visual element of the environment and caressing it - it's really quite an experience.

As for the movie itself, it does take some diciphering. To say too much would be to ruin the film quite frankly. The scares were few and far between for me. Rather, the film relies on an oppressive mood the pervades everything.

A solid film then - I'm going for a 7 to 8 out of 10.

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Glad you enjoyed it, dwatts. It really is a beautiful film, but also very scary as well (there were a couple of scenes where I didn't just jump, I cried out-- and I rarely do that). I forgot all about the 2-disc edition for some reason, and I found the single disc for $9 at Wal-mart, so I picked that up instead. I was kind of pissed when I remembered about the 2-disc set, but oh well, it's not a movie I can watch all the time anyhow. It's much like The Shining in that way; visually, it is outstanding but I have to be in a certain mood to sit down and watch it. With movie like A Tale of Two Sisters, I like to be able to relax and take it all in, and if I'm not able to do that, I won't enjoy the movie.

By the way,
    I really liked the twist at the end. It should have been predictable, but I never saw it coming.

15. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Personally I think this movie has great replayability. I've watched it 4 times so far and I swear that each time I've come to appreciate it more and more. So many little things you can pick up on with each viewing and as dwatts stated, the environmental detail is exquisite and beautiful to behold.

16. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I loved it too. It made an already great movie amazing for me. And your right, it should've been obvious, but I know I didn't see it coming. That also adds to the replay factor in my opinion, upon subsequent viewings I was like, "oh damn, that makes so much sense in relation to what happens" and just loved it.

17. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

Caught this film when I had free Film 4 over here in the UK, one weekend. Wow! Beautiful movie, really enjoyed it. One of the best Asian horror movies, IMHO.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

I'm surprised I didn't post here a while ago, but this was really an excellent movie. It's one of those that I will always recommend to people who want to dip into Asian cinema. It's beautiful to look at and quite heartbreaking. It really gets under your skin.

19. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I have a quick question for y'all. I this movie the kind that you should watch at night, in the dark or is it ok to watch in the daytime? I was about to watch it but then I wasn't sure if it's the kind of film that needs nighttime to make it more effective.

20. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I'd say atmospheric ghost stories are best viewed at night, yeah.

I think watching horror films at night/in a dark room pretty much always ups the scary/creepy factor, at least a little.