A Tale of Two Sisters

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Cydeous, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

The movie has a lot of dark moments, especially in the how (where most of the film takes place.) So I would recommend watching it in the dark.

2. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Guys. I finally got around seeing this one.

Now what makes this movie so good that you all really liked??

The ending? egghh.

Maybe this movie just really made no sense. So here I go to see if I understood the movie

Older sister is wacko. She thinks her lil-sister is still alive. Her mom commited suicide b/c dad was having an afair. To top it off. Lil sis actually died when mom hung herself @ the end of the movie.

end of movie?

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That's part of it.

Also, the
    stepmother (if she even is a stepmother) is not even there until later in the movie. Not only does the older sister imagine the younger sister still alive, she also imagines the stepmother tormenting them. The only people in the house are the father and the oldest daughter

4. I recently bought this one at my local Walmart, and watched it a few nights ago.

I personally found the movie beautiful. The picture quality was breathtaking, and the attention paid to detail seemed to give even mundane things a deeper meaning.

I cheated and read spoilers before watching the movie, but knowing about them didn't take away from the awe I felt as the story unraveled. I personally felt there were some things that could have been addressed more thoroughly in the film, but not knowing the "why" of certain things didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

I think that maybe everybody is meant to interpret the different "questions" this film leaves the viewer with on their own, find their own meaning behind why everything seemed to happen the way it did. I found an article about the film on Wikipedia that pretty much addresses many of the questions I had in regard to the ending, and reading them put into actual words by somebody else seemed to help me sort out a lot of the confusion on my own. Maybe I just felt better knowing that I wasn't the only person sitting there thinking "OK, now what is happening here, and why"?

Overall though, I love this movie, and am glad I purchased it.

5. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Well. I dig majoriity of any asian film. As for this one. its not my fav.

The only 2 korean films that I really enjoyed are : SAY YES & OLD BOY.

Also another korean movie coming out called
    R-Point (feb 14).... says its horror. anyone know about this one? Thanks

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Finally got around to seeing this, which is funny as I've probably own the Korean disc since this thread got started!

I like it, didn't blow my mind, but it kept me going with its mystery.
    As soon as the girls walked out of the car I knew one didn't exist, but I suspected a totally "imaginary" sister as apposed to a "ghost" sister. Though I guessed wrong which one was real at first, suspecting the strong willed one to be imaginary. Took a few scenes to sort that all out (father talking to her outside cleared it up). I suspected the girl originally killed the mother, in kind of a Cronenberg/Spider sort of way. And that this was repeating itself with the stepmother. My own imagination kept me guessing on this one.

I also thought the whole movie was a flash back, because in the opening the doctor asks "what happened that day," the girl turns her head to the window, we fade through white and are now looking through a car window. This transition pattern signals to me "flash back." So I thought she was in the mental ward before, probably after the mother died, and for the bulk of the movie was now back from it and her father had remarried. The opening scene would be her second trip. Wikipedia straightened it out for me.

I'm slightly confused because the father figure is referred to as an "uncle" of the sisters by the step mom. I suspected these were cousins rather than nieces, and the father figure may only have been the father of one of them. Maybe the sister(s) were left with a step mom (real mom died, real dad remarries, real dad dies) who then married their uncle. One sister even says, "You're less than a bad dad" which to me signally he wasn't the true father at all.

But I guess he really is their father, and perhaps the "step mom" never married him at all.

I'm intrigued by fans saying it gets better with repeated viewings. Originally I viewed this as mostly a one shot. I can reflect on the movie and see how all the pieces fit together (making some scenes, especially the dinner sequence, even funnier in a black sort of way.) I'm think the David Lynch humor of is all is what could give me repeated pleasure.