AB to Deliver Dellamorte Dellamore in 2005?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by SaviniFan, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I have taught you two well now go forth and multiply. Only this time try not to multiply with each other ok? ;)

I agree though Criterion discs are overrated.
    I compare Criterion discs to the Oops I Crapped My Pants brand of adult diapers. Sure they can contain a lot of shit but at the end of the day the shit on them looks about the same as any other major brand adult diaper's shit :p

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Criterion is highly overrated, IMO. The only disc of theirs I own is Sisters, and the transfer is pretty good, but not the best. And the only extras on the disc are text-based (besides the photo gallery), which is pretty boring. AB has done work that transcends Criterion in every way, so I have faith that they'd be able to top whatever Criterion would do with the film.--

Wow, you figured that out based on ONE disc, and that's a disc for a movie that NO-ONE has done better or with more extras? Dude, it takes just as much research to put together a text article as it does a documentary. Sorry you find reading boring :rolleyes:

Straw Dogs - no-one has done it better. Naked Lunch - no-one has done it better. Carnival of Souls - no-one has done it better. The Blob - no-one has done it better. Fiend without a face - no-one has done it better. Crash - no-one has done it better. Brazil - no-one has done it better. Videodrome - no-one WILL do it better. The list is endless.

Why not say what you really mean, you don't like Criterion because they cost more, and you can't afford to buy them? There really is no other reason, as a movie lover (and DVD buyer) to dislike them.

3. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Yes we must all think like dwatts..must all think like dwatts...must all think like dwatts

Heaven help us :(

Lots of companies have made damn good dvds of certain movies, so in my opinion that's a lame excuse sir.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I agree with you, but that comparison makes no sense whatsoever. :eek2:

5. betterdan

betterdan Guest

See Ryan the companies are the adult diapers and the shit in them are the films. Ah forget it, it was a joke man :D

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I don't find reading boring. But as a DVD collector I don't expect to find a DVD full of text-based extras; I want documentaries, hell even a trailer would do the trick.

No, I don't just think they are overrated because they are high priced... that's one of the reasons, but not the only one. I don't have to own more than one of their DVDs to see that they are no better than any other studio out there - basically we are just paying $30 - $40 for the name Criterion. I have seen other companies put out discs comparable to theirs, yet half the price. What makes them so special that they need to make their discs so expensive?

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

The Brazil Set that Criterion put out is more than enough to put them to the top in my book. Everything on that disc is interesting, including all the text. I also found, on the RoboCop Criterion, that the text based doc actually had more information in it than the documentary on the DVD. Criterion deserves every bit of praise they get.

8. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm not trying to rip on you or jump on a bashing wagon, but you honestly do need to have seen a decent sample of their work to judge. That's like saying, "I saw GHOSTS OF MARS and it was nothing special, so John Carpenter is an overrated director." Sure other companies do good work some (or even most) of the time, but Criterion is the only company that I can say has done a bang up job on every single one of the 40 or so titles I own from them. And the price thing isn't an issue; the most expensive Criterion discs (aside from the 3-disc packages like BRAZIL, THE LEOPARD, etc.) can be had for $26 online, which is for a 2-disc set. That isn't an inordinate amount of money.

9. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I've seen Chasing Amy (Criterion) at Walmart for $14.44. So there are cheap Criterions to be had. It's just a matter of looking.

When it comes to new Criterions they may be $30+ but chances are you won't find a better (all around) version of that movie anywhere else from any other company in the US. But like I said before, I'd be just as happy if AB released it even if Criterion doesn't.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Eh, I'm with Dan... they're still overrated. :p

This really isn't an issue of "they don't do as good as job as other companies." Some people don't have credit cards and shit to buy stuff cheap from DDD all the time, and a lot of times retail stores are the only option (for some). They ARE rather expensive, no matter what any of you say, noticeably more than most companies (at least from what I've seen). They might do a great job on a lot of their DVDs, but does that really warrant such a high price?

They don't put out a whole lot of movies that interest me much anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter. I am excited for Videodrome, though. :banana:

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Not a lot, all. That extra money for me goes into the fact that I know I'm getting quality. AB fucked up the colors on Halloween, does Criterion ever do that? AB got really shitty elements for Army of Darkness Directors Cut, does Criterion ever do that? AB didn't put out the fully uncut version of Sleepaway Camp, does Criterion ever put out anything but the Director's preferred version? (Well, they do some times, but always right alongside the Director's cut.) I rest my case.

12. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I guess you didn't see this thread? And I wasn't referring to DDD actually. DVD Planet is cheaper with Criterions and they accept Money Orders and Personal Checks.
    Not really. I'd pay $5 more for a Criterion edition knowing it was packed to the brim when compared to an AB one.
    Yes.

This is just a matter of preference though so I won't continue to argue.

13. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Criterions are overrated, the work they do is no better than some other companies out there and not all their releases are the best they could be. Also they are overpriced and if any of you lived in Canada you'd know that. Not all can be had for $26 (US) online. ;) The only reason i own so many is becuase of DDD's 20% off sales.

And i'm not sure why this got turned into a Criterion debate, AB is gonna release DD not Criterion.

14. FulciZombieFan

FulciZombieFan New Member

You must be joking. All major banks have (and for some time) issued ATM cards with either a VISA or MC symbol on it that functions for all intents and purposes as a credit card ... except the money comes straight out of your checking. Even so-called "free" checking accounts offer this feature.

So to say that buying on-line is NOT an option for most is a rather strange things to say.

Also we must keep history in perceptive here. Criterion was the company that pioneered what we now call "extras" such as text documents and audio commentary.

Stop (and this goes to many here other than just RyanPC) being a cry baby!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

15. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

If Ryan is under 18 though, he can't get a checking account that issues a Visa/MC Debit Card.

Criterion release high quality genre films that don't sell millions of copies like blockbuster films do. I have no problem paying for quality. This isn't to say that BU, AB, Mondo Macabro, or the likes don't do excellent work or release some awesome SE's in their own right(s) though, it is up to you whether or not you feel the prices they ask are something you want to pony up the dough for. Thanks to Paff though, I appreciate what Criterion does for film and DVD fans.

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Okay, don't get me started on THIS issue now. AB didn't fuck up the colors, that's the way they were before that stupid tint was added. Actually, I prefer it that way.

I won't continue to argue either, because it's all a matter of opinion on whether Criterion is overrated or not.

EDIT: However, I will say this: though some of their releases are rather expensive, if I love the film enough, I'll buy it.

17. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

It seems to me certain people don't like Criterion releases primarily because of the price differential. If so, that's not a very good argument. It's like buying a car; you can buy a Mercedes or you can buy a Honda--it's up to the buyer to place the value. If you say a certain movie isn't worth the extra $5-$10, then you don't value it enough to actually purchase it...and that's how it should be.

But actually, if you order them online (or even better, pre-order them), the price difference is negligible. I suppose if you're under 18 and don't have access to credit cards, it would be a bigger deal, but Criterion pretty much caters to the people who are willing to pay a premium for a better product; and it's worked because they've released over 100 films.

They almost always offer the best quality of any release (often through painstaking restoration and/or preservation) and they oftentimes inlcude the most numerous and best extras; although I too agree that many of them are often text-based instead of an actual feature.

FuciZombiFan is correct in saying Criterion pioneered the whole "extras" phenomenon. They were the first to include content on their laser discs that no other companies bothered to include. I'm not saying that this justifies their higher prices, but let's give credit where credit is due. Criterion is a great company that releases "modern and contemporary classics." A lot of the films that they've released would definitely not have the treatment they (and the fans) deserve if left to another company. There aren't very many companies that would release obscure pre-1960's foreign films anyway.

Also I would also like to add that many horror fans may not appreciate Criterion because they don't release very many horror titles. However, if you're into Ingmar Bergman or Akira Kurosawa whose titles are lesser known to the general public, you probably would have a bigger appreciation for Criterion as well. Foreign film fans of Fellini, Bergman, and Truffaut are more likely to appreciate Criterion than the casual movie fan whose only Criterion title is Armaggedon and Chasing Amy.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  18. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Whoa, I never said I didn't like them. I merely say they are overrated - there's a huge difference. :)

19. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

But how much can you actually like a particular release if you think it's overrated? If I think a certain release if overrated, I don't buy it. To me, overrated means not worth the money...but if Dellamorte Dellamore came with a $49.95 price tag, I wouldn't think twice about buying it even if it's "on the high side."

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

From www.dictionary.com:

overrated - To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Just because I think it's overrated doesn't mean I don't like it. I might think they are praised too often for their work, which isn't really special when compared with other companies, but they do good work regardless (and I also think AB and BU do good work).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.