AB to Deliver Dellamorte Dellamore in 2005?

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by SaviniFan, Aug 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

How many Criterion releases have you seen exactly? Have you seen their Hitchcock releases? Or the Ingmar Bergman films...they look phenomenal and any previous versions pale in comparison.

I guess the most important thing I'm trying to get across is most companies wouldn't even touch some of the titles in the Criterion collection. Maybe not for horror (BU and AB do good work in this genre), but for classic foreign films, there is no equal. I don't think they're overrated at all just for that reason alone.

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I agree, but that is a matter of opinion like I said before. If someone hasn't seen or has no interest in the fantastic WILD STRAWBERRIES (or BAND OF OUTSIDERS, or 8½, etc.) disc, then the point is moot.

Even for horror though, Criterion has done some great stuff. ONIBABA is a great disc and that can be had for under $20 online. It has live-action extras too! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2004
  3. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

Yeah, you're right. Unless people have an interest in Criterion titles like Wild Strawberries (awesome movie and top notch quality. One of my favorites ) or 8 1/2, there's really no changing their minds. But IMHO, saying Criterion is overrated without being interested in what they do best (classic and foreign films) is kind of like saying BU is overrated without being a horror/cult film fan. It's all a matter of opinion... :)

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--Yes we must all think like dwatts..must all think like dwatts...must all think like dwatts--

Wow, that's the lamest comeback I've seen on here. I guess you think we all should 'think like betterdan, think like betterdan'. :confused: I simply don't agree with this idea that Criterion are somehow evil just because they charge a few bucks more for their DVD's. You don't HAVE to buy them, but if you do, you're gauranteed great quality. Unlike say, Blue Underground, where their transfers vary in quality considerably. It's that simple.

--Lots of companies have made damn good dvds of certain movies, so in my opiion that's a lame excuse sir.--

No - your comment makes no sense. Criterion release CERTAIN films in an excellent fashion. Whether someone else does the same doesn't matter one iota. It's irrelevant. I stated a few films Criterion have done, that no-one in the world has bettered. It's undeniable. And THAT is what you pay for. They have never claimed to be the only ones to do good transfers, or the only ones who make nice extras. This is something people like you have applied to them for no good reason. It's simply business with Criterion, and I have nothing against a business doing whatever it wants.

--I don't find reading boring. But as a DVD collector I don't expect to find a DVD full of text-based extras; I want documentaries, hell even a trailer would do the trick.--

Sorry, you lost me. What does being a DVD collector have to do with not wanting to read? A lot of DVD companies have text extras - Blue Undergrounds Fu Manchu DVD's have the longest I've ever seen - it runs for something like 30 pages. It's VERY informative, very interesting, and a great extra, imo. I think it's pretty sad that people now are thinking along the lines of, "if it doesn't move it's boring".

--I don't have to own more than one of their DVDs to see that they are no better than any other studio out there - basically we are just paying $30 - $40 for the name Criterion. I have seen other companies put out discs comparable to theirs, yet half the price--

But it's nonsense. I listed a bunch of films, can you point me to companies who have done them better? What happened to Cronenberg's Crash, for instance? Criterion did it, has extras, has commentary - and AFTERWARDS the majors did it. Basically bare bones, with half-assed sound options. Yes it's cheaper, but the Criterion Laserdisc is easily the best release that film has ever gotten. What about the others? Have you ever seen another release of Straw Dogs? Did you compare the Criterion with the AB disc? I did, why was Criterion better? How about Fiend Without a Face? I've compared with the R2 - Criterion is better. How about Naked Lunch? I have another disc of that, Criterion was better. Whether AB can do a bang-up job with Halloween simply isn't relevant, once again you are exhibiting a strange value to Criterion that precisely equates to money, and perceived value. The problem is, you don't want to compare apples with apples, you want to compare the quality of releases of OTHER films, and try to pretend it's the same thing - it's not.

-- What makes them so special that they need to make their discs so expensive?--

That's an easy one - it's called BUSINESS. It's called CAPITALISM. Do you have a problem with that? It doesn't make them overrated because - they DO have good product. Yes, it costs a little more. If you're paying 30 to 40 bucks for thir DVD's, just buy them online for goodness sakes. Again though, I contend your only valid point is a criticism over price, not quality. It's not a matter if others have good quality, it's a matter of 'does Criterion have good quality'. I think they do. I just pay a little more for them.

--This really isn't an issue of "they don't do as good as job as other companies." Some people don't have credit cards and shit to buy stuff cheap from DDD all the time, and a lot of times retail stores are the only option (for some). They ARE rather expensive, no matter what any of you say, noticeably more than most companies (at least from what I've seen). They might do a great job on a lot of their DVDs, but does that really warrant such a high price?--

Ah ha! So, it IS about money. I thought so :D

Really, it's not Criterion's problem that you don't have a credit card. I honestly thought it was possible to open a Paypal account without a credit card. Maybe I'm wrong. Everytime I go there these days they're trying to persuade me not to use my credit card, they want to do bank transfers. Anyway, as others have mentioned, you have other options if it really bothers you.

Actually, I'm thinking about it now, and honestly I'd say as a film lover wanting the best quality, Criterion are easily the premier house out there. The only reason they don't get the kudos of AB or BU is that they release fewer titles, and those titles are truly niche products. Someone claiming to be a DVD lover but not liking what Criterion does is actually quite funny :D

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Okay Dwatts, you've prove me wrong yet again. Criterion are the best.

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Did I say they were the best? Nope. Interesting what one can get from a post :D

I simply said they do a great job, and they charge a bit more and to me, it's worth it. I also said the criticism's aimed at them are based only on price - which let's face it, it always comes down to. It's the only legitimate complaint, imo. Or rather, I've never heard a more relevant one. Talking about other companis that manage to do good things with OTHER films is somewhat irrelevant, isn't it?

Anyway, never forget, "Think like Betterdan. Think like Betterdan" :D

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Why are you beating me over the head with info when I already said I agree with you? ;) :lol:

8. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    The only time I buy a Criterion is if it is the only copy available of a movie I want, or if it is a movie I love and the Criterion is the best bet. The criterions I own are Fiend Without a Face, Robocop and Chasing Amy. I also bought Silence of the Lambs, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Life of Brian, but only because I got them dirt cheap, used. I also have Carnival of Souls, but I actually ripped a copy I rented, so it isn't the "Criterion quality", but I wanted a copy of the film, and felt that was better than just buying a cheapo version!

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, but then, the vast majority of us pay taxes and the like on all the money we earn, and so have no need to hide our cash ;)

Really, I don't think the Internet can adapt itself to people who don't ant to use banks. That's a choice to opt out, and if they want to do that, then hard luck - right? When you opt out of using a bank, you opt out of easily buying things on the net. As long as it's a choice, that's okay - but I don't think it's fair to whine about not being able to easily buy things.

Just my 2 cents.

10. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Who the fuck said they were evil? Noone. I also didn't say I hated them because they cost more. I simply said they were overrated. Please stop putting words into my mouth and others. That's the lamest thing anyone on here could do.

I'm sorry you can't unsderstand. Criterion is a good dvd company but in my opinion they are no better than some others that put out good transfers. I believe you are just paying for the Criterion name. You said people who don't like criterion (again noone said they disliked them) must not be able to afford them. This is something people like you have applied to them for no good reason. I have nothing against a business doing what it wants but they are still overrated to me.

Again noone said they disliked Criterion :rolleyes:

Again we must all think like dwatts I guess so as he doesn't get his panties twisted. :lol:

11. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

:lol:

Anyways, they are overrated and overpriced!

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Indeed :lol:

Nice try Betterdan, but.... I never attributed the use of the word "evil" to anyone. Nor did I intend to. I was simply making a statement - "the idea that Criterion are somehow evil". See, it's the word "idea" that seems to have caught you out. You assumed I was being literal. It's a mistake on your part, and I accept your apology :D

As for the overrated statement, you're not at all explaining in what context you are using the term. So you're going to have to put up with people interpreting ;)

-- You said people who don't like criterion (again noone said they disliked them) must not be able to afford them. --

See above. :)

--Again we must all think like dwatts I guess so as he doesn't get his panties twisted.--

i'll think you'll find my panties are okay. Thanks for posting to the thread and adding nothing, it was really appreciated. What is clear that is that you have a very firm wedgy :D

13. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I don't remember me apologizing for anything. Again you try to put words into my mouth. Anyways noone said they disliked Criterion so please get off that. This argument is getting boring.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Gee, I think you're forgetting that *I'm* the one that is supposed to have panties in a twist :D

On the apology thing, note the smilie. In the Internet world, that denotes a joke. Hence, you won't remember making one, I was alluding to the impossible. ;)

As for putting words in your mouth, it's interesting, because it is exactly what you are attempting to do by placing emphasis on certain words, and then trying to construct an argument around it. I know English is a tricky language, so I do understand.

Here is what I wrote: "Someone claiming to be a DVD lover but not liking what Criterion does is actually quite funny."

Now, in the English langauge, "like" can be used to describe something someone finds not to their taste, or it can be used in more general ways, a word used to express displeasure (that's how it was used here). In the context of things being "overated", it's an appropriate use. Well, unless someone like yourself insists on suggesting it is meant literally, as something assigned to an individual. That's YOUR interpretation - not mine. :)

If the "argument" is boring, it's probably exhausted. I just didn't want to leave it with you puttnig words into my mouth :D

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Whatever dwatts. Try to put a twist on the sentence I really don't care. Anyone who read that sentence knows what it meant. Noone said they disliked Criterion so can this boring argument end already?

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Well it's nice to finally have an interesting argument on these boards - betterdan and hell yeah!, both of you are wrong. Dwatts knows all: Criterion rulez. :lol:

17. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Was he right about you not being able to afford Criterion discs as well? ROFLMAO, J/K!

18. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Since we can't stay on topic, I'm closing this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.