Abel Ferrara's FEAR CITY (1984) from Shout Factory

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by bruce h, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

The fuck?...I pre-ordered mine back when Halloween II + III were first announced,... I haven't even received a shipping confirmation.

I also bought Angel in Red, which they didn't ship yet either. But they DID ship two other Corman sets I ordered. All of which were purchased at the same time.

...looks like an email is in order.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It may have possibly been shipped to you already. I didn't receive any shipping notification until today either, after I'd already received it.

But if you didn't order it seperately, I think they'll only ship it when all of the items in the order are in stock.

3. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It is a poor film and doesn't feel like a Ferrara movie at all: all sleaze (safe sleaze to be precise!) and no "meat", no personality, not an ounce of existential angst.
    Someone must release The Funeral and The Addiction on Blu-Ray.

4. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

Not to mention MS. 45!

5. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Yes! Especially MS.45, uncut! What a movie!

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I thought it felt plenty Ferrara, but something was off about it. After a few minutes in I realized I have seen this before, although the cable TV cut way back. Melanie probably never looked better, Billy Dee probably never hammed it up more (WTF was up with his performance?). It had me for a while but then got lazy and let me go.

BD mostly looked great. There were a couple scenes with lots of speckles of white popping against the mostly black background, and a few soft looking shots, but mostly a decent looking HD transfer. I'm not sure I quite feel like I got all my $23 out of this disc though. I appreciate having both versions of the film but the lack of anything else (the menu is literally "play unrated" or "play theater version"), no alternate audio tracks, no subtitles, no trailer for this or no trailers for anything. I may watch the R cut someday as it has some alternate footage according to movie-censorship.

7. Stige

Stige Active Member

region A locked? dual layer or single?

8. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Not sure about region A (although everything says it is, like dvdprofiler which is usually correct) but it is a dual layer disc as read by my drive. Probably each version of the film on one layer, I kinda doubt it's using seamless branching for many reasons, most of all that there is alternate footage in both, not just shit added to the unrated.

9. Katatonia

It's definitely "A" region locked.

When I set a player to region B, it came up with a message that it couldn't play the disc. When reset the player to region A, it played fine.

10. Stige

Stige Active Member

the amazon seller , and shout doesn't send to Norway, guess the french unrated dvd will have to do

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Just watched this for the first time tonight on Netflix. It reminded me of Bronson's 10 to Midnight. Not a lot to recommend the film but the picture quality was quite good. I was going to buy this but couldn't find it for less than $24.00. Now I think I'll pass.

12. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

I watched Fear City recently too, but I loved it... Awesome 80's neon colored sleazefest that only Ferrara can bring...lotsa nudity, totally weirdo nun chuck wielding killer, and Billy Dee Williams. I mean what more could you ask for?

There was this awesome scene when Melanie Griffith's character is wearing aviator shades, walks into the strip joint and behind her is the neon glow of a "Girls, Girls, Girls" sign. I wish I had a BD player on my laptop because I'd take a snapshot of that scene and make it my wallpaper. It just looked awesome. I think there was the same shot with Tom Berenger too, but it just looked cooler with Griffith's coked out character in the shot.

13. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

FEAR CITY was a Shout online exclusive. I wouldn't be shocked if people were trying to unload their copies for a bit of a profit.

14. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

There has been a copy on Amazon for quite a while now for $20.00 plus shipping. I've also seen it on Ebay a few times for $50.00. Ebay was a much better site when most items were up for auction rather that "buy it now" pricing.

15. Katatonia

It still is listed as a Shout online exclusive: http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=node/174716

Some people are just stupid if they're actually paying $50 on ebay for it.

16. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

The "Route 66" seller on Amazon is Shout themselves -- you can get all of their exclusives there.