About going Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by NaturesMistake, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I noticed that lots of Sony DVD titles not older than 5 years look especially amazing upconverted on my set. I was blown away by Decoys 2's image quality. It was like looking at multicolored cotton candy lit underneath a christmas tree :D Seriously though, the colors at display made me go whoa several times. Another Sony title that left a lasting impression was Insanitarium. Most likely the goriest R-Rated movie I've seen, breathtakingly rich on detail during every little or big blood squirting splatter effect.
    However, not even the best looking upscaled DVD can touch the awesomeness of Coraline on Blu-ray (there should be a law that forbids Coraline to be viewed on standard DVD). I pop that one in whenever friends or family come by to check out my HD set. Wide open eyes and dropping jaws guaranteed.

2. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I guess I am in the minority here,but for me the best thing about blu ray is the sound traks.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 are far far better than plain old Dolby 5.1.
    Granted,youll need a fairly new reciever to play Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio,
    but you need a HD tv to take advantage of the higher resolution.

In my view,the improvement of sound traks on blu rays vs dvd is more impressive than the improvement in picture quality.

3. youthief

youthief Member

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Any idea if it plays other region Blu-ray's (or other region anything for that matter)? If it does, I'm gonna see if it's in stock down the road at Target, or order one soon if not. My BD player won't even play region free PAL, it's a bitch about that and region codes, so this one is already better in that aspect.

5. youthief

youthief Member

It plays the UK Blu-ray of The Thing. It's the only PAL Blu I have for now. It also plays all of my PAL DVD's, region 2 and 0. If you don't like it, at least you can return it to a Target store. You have to order it online; not available in stores. If you order it now, check the website on Sunday to see if it's on sale for less. You can call their customer service for a price adjustment. But, it may be on sale now and the price could go up Sunday.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

That release is an All Region disc though, so it should play on any player. If it plays Blus that are locked to Region B, that would be sweet.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

My next question and statment all in one, thanks Kat!
    Although the features would be in PAL on that disc right? I don't think my current player can play them, it might even reject the disc because of them being there. Like I said a couple post back, it rejected region free PAL dvds and dubs with an "imcompatable" message. So far just PAL dubs rejected, many NTSC dubs have played fine and look great even with near 50% compression, upscaled on 67", which I didn't think possible.:glasses:

8. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I am debating about getting the Oppo. Anyone here have one? Seems like it is the best bet for playing everything and anything on a disc...

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I've been debating the Blu Ray upgrade for quite a while. I have an upconvertable DVD player and love the quality. I am a good judge of quality, as I am a video producer by trade and in all honesty, don't see enough of a difference to want to spend the money. I am considering it now because of features like web streaming, as it would be nice to be able to stream web movies on my TV and Blu Ray is definitely becoming the dominent format, although I believe DVD will be here for years to come. The Samsung looked like the dream player as it also did DIVX as well, but I've read horrible reviews on it, so I'll stick with the new Sony. I still am waiting to pay under $200 for it though. I am also putting off getting some recent movies until I upgrade, like Transformers 2 and Star Trek. I won't upgrade but a handful of my favorites and won't even buy all newer films on Blu, since a romantic comedy isn't worthy of the expense! I also find most DVDs for $3 and under nowadays, so it is hard to pay Blu prices. I will just buy the "wow factor" films like action, scifi and some horror.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Buy it without hesitation. It loads incredibly fast, plays EVERYTHING (including DIVX), and doesn't require an audio receiver with HDMI. I'm using the analog outputs and the uncompressed sound is tremendous. The Dylan remaster box is an absolute revelation. You can also get hacked firmware to enable region-free DVD play (unfortunately Blu-Ray play is region locked).

I've had my Oppo DVD player for several years and despite very heavy use it's still as good as new. Oppo makes high-quality products. Yeah, their Blu-Ray player is relatively expensive. But it's well worth the price. Buy it. You'll be thrilled.

11. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I read on the OPPO website that it will play both NTSC and PAL and automatically convert to the display you are using. Is this not true? If a Blu-Ray is in PAL format, wouldn't that disc automatically fall into a different region? I am seriously considering purchasing this system, but before I drop the $400, I want to make sure this will play pretty much anything from all over the world.

I have never owned a Blu-Ray player and only know that firmware updates are streamed or downloaded from the internet. The hacked firmware update is only for region free DVD play, not Blu-Ray?

If multi-region Blu-Ray capabilities aren't possible with the OPPO, can anyone recommend a Blu-Ray player that is high-quality and region free? Thanks!

12. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Multi-region blu-ray capabilites are obviously possible with the OPPO blu-ray player. Why else do you think they'd be charging $499.99 for it when you can get a standard blu-ray player for like $149.99?

~Matt

13. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Good point, LOL! But can anyone confirm this before I dish out the $?

14. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

From everywhere I've read online about the player, it isn't hackable beyond Region A discs. It can probably be hardware modified, but the stock player is multi-region with DVD's only. The $499.99 is for the quality of the player, which isn't that unusual considering some other high-end Blu-ray players.

15. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I think I posted about the Oppo BDP-83 a while ago saying it could be made region free for BD through third-party firmware but I was wrong, you need a hardware mod too. The kit goes for around 50GBP, this page has info, instructions, and a link to buy the kit. Looks pretty easy to do and if I didn't already have the Momistu I'd probably give this a try.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

There are hardware mods available on Ebay for around $80. They look pretty easy to install.

But what is the better purchase, $500 for an Oppo (plus $80 for a hardware mod) or the Momitsu BDP-799 which can be had for $250 and which has the NTSC/PAL conversion and can be region-freed using the remote for both Blu Rays and DVDs?

17. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Holy shitballs, thanks for throwing the wrench in my plans HellRazor, LOL! I am going to have to research the Momitsu now. Is the quality good on this player? I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the Oppo, but all-region capabilities on both DVD and Blu-Ray without any mods to the Momitsu is enticing...SHIT WHAT DO I DO?

18. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

MOMITSU works fine and delivers a great picture. Don't think twice man.

19. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I'm thinking of getting the Momitsu and using the extra $250 to get a second Momitsu for the bedroom. :)

The only negative I've heard is that the tray mechanism is kind of cheap.

There is a Curtis Mathis model that was selling for $99 at Target that was basically just a rebranded Momitsu BDP-799 with all the same features right down to the remote control region free code. Unfortunately they are sold out everywhere and I can't find one in that price range now. Totally missed the boat on that and bet it had a better tray mechanism too!

20. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

That Curtis Mathis model was CMMBX130.

In case anyone buys the Momitsu, here is how to region free it:

If you change the Blu-Ray region with the remote it will reset back to A whenever you turn it off but the DVD region stays until you change it with the remote.

Momitsu BDP-799 Region Changing Instructions

You can alter the player's region code at any time using the remote control.
    1) Keep no disc loading , and press 8751+0+1 or 2,
    0 stand for DVD free zone,
    1 or 2 stand for BD A or BD B zone.
    can not enter BD free mode or open mode. But it can be changed at anytime

You have 3 codes which you input and enter via the player's remote control:
    875101 is Region A plus all 6 DVD regions.
    875102 is Region B plus all 6 DVD regions.
    875103 is Region C plus all 6 DVD regions
    2) Please set the DVD region as "1"
    Because some of DVD disc require player to be region 1 in order to play.
    It is the disc set up so just match the player with disc region sould be fine.
    875111 is Region A plus US DVD region1.
    875112 is Region B plus US DVD region1.
    875113 is Region C plus US DVD region1.
    Thank you
    Momitsu Support