About going Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by NaturesMistake, Nov 15, 2009.

1. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

Thanks HellRazor. Going to save up some cash and then make my decision. Not having to mod anything on the Momitsu is a HUGE plus. I checked out the Mod kits on Ebay for the Oppo and it looks pretty darned easy to install. Decisions...decisions...

2. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i jumped on the blu ray wagon as soon as it was clear it had won the format war, although i guess i can't truly claim "early-adopter" status, since i waited the whole thing out. but i've never gone region free for dvd or blu, and haven't really thought about it till now. my questions for all those region free people out there are these:

1. At this point in time, are there really a significant number of discs (blu or dvd) that aren't available in region 1/A? what percentage would you say non-region 1/A discs make up in your collection? if you'd like to give some prime examples, id love to hear them.

2. How do non-region 1/A discs stand up to region 1/A in terms of a/v quality?

3. How do region free players compare to region 1/A players when it comes to playing region 1/A discs?

4. How easy is it to actually aquire these discs, and how do their prices compare to north america?

i know this is sort of going off topic, but since this thread has gone in the direction of region free players, i thought i'd just go ahead and pick peoples brains. any responses are really appreciated.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I'm curious as well as I have stayed away from Region Free as well.

4. dvdfan

dvdfan Member

Target.com lists a similar Curtis Mathis model it for $129 (http://www.target.com/Curtis-Mathes-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B001COGXMC) I'm not sure if the region hack works the same or not, but it might be worth it to check out. Odds are probably it's another rebranded Momitsu. I couldn't find it through their site, but when I googled the model number it came up with the link.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I went ahead and ordered 2 of the Momitsus today, will let you know what I think about them when they arrive. :) It will be awesome to have an all-in-one solution, my current blu-ray is in the living room and doesn't do PAL/NTSC conversion, and my DVD player in the bedroom also doesn't do PAL/NTSC. It will be nice to have machines that do DVD, Blu-Ray, PAL/NTSC, and region free for all! I like options! Now if only they had a hard drive for recording shows! ;)

6. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I turned that one up in my research and I don't think the region free hacks work. :( And I'm also not sure if it even does PAL/NTSC.

7. youthief

youthief Member

Why do people post in a thread without reading it? :confused: dvdfan and HellRazor, go to the second page and read post number 23. Then order the Curtis Mathes from Target. If you don't like it, you have 90 days to return it.

8. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

Don't take it personally dude, it's just a message board thread. I don't memorize every single post I read, sorry I couldn't recite post #23 on page 2 of thread #40031. :p

I don't think the Blu Ray on that model is all region as there is no way to change the region code. A BD checks the player to confirm it's set for one specific region, then checks that it's a region the disc allows, then plays if the player passed both checks. So in order to play different BD regions, the player has to be manually changed to a different region. This is the basis of all current multi-region "hacks" for BD players.

Is there a Blu Ray region hack for that model I'm not aware of? If so it would be a great deal and it still might meet most people's needs but I wanted something that was "all of the above" including playing any region Blu Ray Disc. Reviews I've read on the net indicate that this model isn't multi region for BD.

EDIT: And, also on page 2, someone tells you that your UK Blu Ray that you tested with was an all region release. I'll bet if you try a Blu Ray coded specifically for region B it won't play.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  9. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

It's hard to say but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the percentage of stuff available to other regions but not ours is probably pretty small. The reason it's hard to say is because I really don't pay much if any attention to the regional coding info except with BD because I have to manually change the region to play BD's from other regions but not DVD's. I own about 35 BD's and I think 6 of them are region locked imports (Salo, [Rec], Let The Right One In, Martyrs, Night of the Living Dead, and High Tension). I have other imports but I'm not 100% on whether they're locked or not. I think that these titles, although few, are pretty good cross section of the benefits of a region free player. I don't know if the Criterion Salo BD is out yet but when it does come out it's probably going to be missing the same 24 seconds their DVD of this movie is missing, my BFI disc has these 24 seconds. [Rec] was supposed to come out on BD here but then they canceled it and if that wasn't enough look how long it took just to get this on DVD... Let The Right One In is out on BD here but have you seen one that has the proper, theatrical subtitles? I haven't and I was really patient waiting to find one! Martyrs and High Tension? DVD but no BD! Finally, Night of the Living Dead, an American classic only available [so far] on a disc that won't play here... Basically it's not so much the number of titles unavailable in your region or even whether or not certain titles will ever be available in your region, it's more about having a choice and not having to settle for what they choose to sell in your region if it sucks. Not having to wait for new movies is also quite nice. :] (You do have to be careful though, maybe it's just the stuff I've wanted but it seems that if the movie is not in English a lot of the foreign releases are not English friendly, it seemed like a lot used to be.)

It's really the same, I mean there are shitty looking DVD's in all regions and good looking DVD's in all regions. There could also be instances where the region 1 disc is not as good as the import or the import is not as good as the region 1 disc too so again it's the fact that you can choose what release you think is best that is the real benefit.

I really can't say I've ever noticed a difference but then again I haven't bought a region locked player since the 90's so any time I'd be watching something on a locked player I'd be watching it at someone else's house on their tv.

I'll say it varies by country of origin especially since there are practically no good places in the US to buy imports from anymore. This answer could definitely vary though, some people are more savy with this stuff (For me Asian releases may as well pretty much just exist in a black hole because I never hear about them before they come out and can seldom find them for sale.) and others will have an easier time if they're multi-lingual, unlike me. The price is generally higher, if you buy from someone who specializes in imports then you're probably paying a premium and if you buy from oversea's then the shipping is generally more but there are deals to be had on imports just like domestic releases. Amazon.co.uk is great, I got most of my import BD's from them and the shipping is cheap, the prices are cheap, and you generally get everything fast! I remember I wanted Ratman on DVD but the import shops were charging something like $25, I was able to get the same disc along with Salo on BD from Amazon.co.uk for about the same what Ratman alone was going for over here!

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

thanks a lot ramses! thats exactly the kind of input i was looking for. if anybody else has an opinion, id love to hear it too.

11. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I agree with Ramses but I also think that as Blu Ray catches on there will start to be more and more product that is available in other regions that are not available here, or which have better features/different transfers, just like DVD is now. Especially in places like the UK, Japan, and Germany.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

So I've been looking at a few players, mostly running model numbers from black Friday ads through videohelp. It looks like more and more players are hackable, but none seem to do PAL/NTSC conversion, which kinda defeats the purpose for my region 1 self.
    Guess I should check if I can set my tv to PAL, but I'm doubting it. I thought HD sets were a Universal signal or something like that, I guess that's just for the HD part while the standard def extras and dvds still need conversion as my US TV is NTSC when not HD...:confused::confused::confused: Anyone know anything more about this?

This player is hackable it sounds like (read whole thread to get to R1 players and solutions), and the normal Amazon price matches Best Buy's 3-day internet only sale. Tempting but for that PAL thing.

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I thought of getting a region-free blu-ray player, but I now fail to see the point. Sure the UK has some titles that we don't have, but they're either on their way to the North American market, or they're region-free already. For example, The Goonies was only released in the UK, but it's region-free and its special features are all NTSC (Warner doesn't region-code their blu-rays). Not only that, just like Gremlins was a UK-only blu-ray release, it eventually got a North American release. The same thing is going to eventually happen with The Goonies I'm sure. And if not, it's still region-free in the UK. Walk the Line was released in Europe as well, but it too was region-free and you know what? It was just announced a couple weeks ago that it's due for a Feb release in North America.

There were a couple titles that are region B-locked, such as Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and Antonioni's Red Desert from BFI. I desperately want these, but I know for a fact (I emailed them) that Criterion plans on releasing Red Desert on DVD and blu-ray in 2010. The Red Shoes also got a glorious restoration and that blu-ray is currently region B locked as well, but again, Criterion owns the North American rights so really it's only a matter of time.

I was also going to get the UK blu-rays of Contempt and Ran, since Criterion lost the rights and the films went back to Studio Canal. However, it was announced this week that Lionsgate now owns the rights to the Studio Canal titles and plans on releasing these films in a "Studio Canal" collection early next year. Again, even though these films were region-free anyway (with NTSC special features) they're eventually going to make their way to region A.

Godard's Une Femme Mariee was released on blu-ray through Eureka in the UK and it too is region-free, same with their release of Murnau's Sunrise. BFI also released a collection of Kenneth Anger's avant-garde films. The first disc is all HD (region-free) and the second disc's special features are all PAL, but the 2nd disc is a DVD, so if you have a region-free DVD player, you're fine. I just don't see the point in getting a region-free blu-ray player. I'm content with my region-free DVD player and I don't see the point in getting a region-free blu-ray player for just a few titles, and ones I believe will eventually (some definitely) make their way to the North American market.

~Matt

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd maybe see more of a point in getting a region-free blu-ray player if you reside in areas that are region B or C. But this is mainly if you're a Criterion fan or something, since Criterion region locks every single one of their blu-rays.

~Matt

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I love my region free dvd player, but now only use it for other regions or PAL since the upconverted dvds look so much nicer than watching them normal. Would love to give my R2 discs some upconversion too.:)

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

I'm just preparing for the future, Blu Ray is still a relatively new format. Eventually there are going to be some movies released overseas on Blu that we won't see over here, especially since with many of those movies already available on DVD they won't be lucrative. Besides, the way I see it, many of the region free ones are in the same price range as those that aren't. The Mimitsu I mentioned earlier is DVD region free, Blu Ray region free, (using the remote control hack codes) and does PAL/NTSC conversion, and costs $250.

17. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Well, I ended up getting a blu-ray player for my birthday (who would have guessed), so I have a list of about twenty blu rays I want and I already own seven of them. The quality IS extremely nice and I can't wait to watch my favorite films in blu, but I still feel that dvd and even my digital downloads are adequate for my film experience (especially up converted dvds). The high res and the new menus make it a fun format to play with though (just like I play with ld).

Films like Terminator, Ghostbusters, Night of the Creeps, Evil Dead 2, and My Bloody Valentine don't seem to warrant an upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  18. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yay! I'm feeling Blu now, but in a good way. Tonight is Inglorious Basterds. Only BD I have at the moment.

Still a little reluctant to re-buy all my movies, but I might change my mind after I see Basterds tonight...

19. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm watching the Man Who Fell to Earth right now and it looks fucking fantastic.

20. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Got my first blu ray for Christmas as a gift from the folks for my wife and I. It's a Magnavox, and, so far, has worked well. I watched Watchmen, Friday the 13th (2009) and X-Men Origins : Wolverine so far, and each has looked amazing.The only gripe I had was with the slower load time (Watchmen, in particular). It wasn't TERRIBLY slow or anything, just slow enough to be noticeable.

I wasn't about jumping to Blu at all. Honestly, if this gift wasn't given to us, chances are I'd still be considering the jump in 2011, lol.