About going Blu

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by NaturesMistake, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

If it's the Magnavox Blu-ray player at Wal-Mart, they just lowered the price down to $78. They had perhaps a hundred out at this store on a display.

I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but that's a hell of a price if people are looking to go Blu, or give as a gift.

2. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I picked one up as my first Blu player and it is a good little no frills player. When I get a better one, I'm just going to use it as a DVD player in my bedroom, but for now, I'm very happy with it. I've got 8 Blu Rays so far.

3. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

Chances are, that's the one. Like Shannafey said, it seems to be a good little simple blu ray player, no real gripes.

Tonight, I'll be checking out "Trick'r Treat" and "Friday the 13th" (2009). While I wasn't the biggest fan of the Friday remake, it was at least pretty fun and I've read that the blu transfer is really solid. Loved "Trick'r Treat", but i haven't heard anything about the quality of it's release on blu. Hopefully it's good.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Trick 'R Treat on Blu is nearly perfect, one of the best I've seen so far. Same with Friday the 13th reduex.
    I have the same player and it's fine for what it is. The only thing I dont like is I paid double in August for it.:( Like most, it was a cheap starter player and now I'm hooked. I only wish it could handle any type of other region or PAL dvd. It failed on all, region free PAL won't play, and region 2 NTSC won't either. My R1 dvds look great upconverted and I think my Toshiba player is jeaulous, as it only gets PAL discs now.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, I was looking into all the Region Free players, and then just decided "fuck it", and bought a Sony at Best Buy's after X-mas sale. It was $129, and looks to be a solid unit. I'm keeping my Toshiba for non-Region 1s and PAL. They're so thin, they barely take up any space, and I had audio and video inputs open. Well, not completely open; I can't have DTS on my Toshiba, but that's it.

Inglorious Basterds really looked nice in HD, and I liked the sound performance a lot too. Gotta go get some more BDs now.

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, I'm a bummed that it doesn't play PAL discs. Most Philips/Magnavox products do, but now they are being made by Funai instead, so specs are different. I wanted to order a PAL region free Blu Ray from Amazon UK, but figured since it didn't play my region free PAL DVDs, I wouldn't have any luck playing it. I still have my little Philips hooked up for VCDs, PAL DVDs and DIVX files, all of which won't play in the Blu Ray. I figured that when I buy a better Blu Ray player, hopefully I can get one that is PAL compatible, plays DIVX files and does wireless streaming from the web. Hopefully there will be one cure all!