Actor Corey Haim dies at age 38

Discussion in 'General' started by Rockmjd, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Its also funny you decided on indulging all of us with your "hungry children rant" in Corey's thread when Jamie Gillis' has been up for more than a week and Charles Pierce's is just a couple of links below this one. Why is it you chose this one?

Oh I know, you're in dire need of attention.

I'm done with this. If portraying an emotional thought towards an actor's death (especially one I have spent years and years watching) makes me a bad person, then so be it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Well, no one stated that having an emotional thought about an actor's death made you a bad person, we were having a civilized discussion about the cult of celebrity and the motivations for the empathy which I think relates to this thread just fine. Then someone came in here with an antagonistic post telling people to get off their high horses-so essentially we are the ones who are supposed to be 'bad' because we don't feel for a stranger who led, by all accounts, a privileged existence and pissed it all away.
    Fewer people knew Jamie Gillis or Pierce, and they died of natural causes-whole different ball of wax.

3. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I do agree that with a start in life that Haim had, he really has no excuse for having these problems. He had all the resources to only end up being another burned out celeb in the end.

But like it has been brought up in an above post, being part of a horror community is basically letting life pass us by where we could be helping out our local communities and furthering our own lives instead of propping up the careers of others by being among these boards in the first place. Trust me, I hate waiting in line to see films when I can be figuring out better ways to further my own life long objectives. But part of living in a part of the world with all these resources is also what is nice about sometimes taking a break from life and watching Lost Boys. I feel very priviledged even despite a rough couple of years because of the US meltdown. Haim was in a bunch of films that made me stupid happy as a kid while my parents' childhood in Europe royally sucked.

As far as starving children is concerned, I feel bad for them but we can also insert the politics of educating these parts of the world of the use of condoms or keeping their legs shut. What about the people who were raised in North America who have kids they can't afford? No excuse for them either. This kind of discussion is way too heavy for a Haim appreciation thread IMO. Yes, he was a total dick at times, and for those of you who had to put up with it, I don't blame you for disliking him, but I had my moments in life of being a jerk and never did a drug once. That doesn't mean I feel I should die of any behavioral discretions. I don't feel sympathy for Haim, but liked his films enough to give a few minutes of my time to his memory.

I want to stress that further to an earlier post, he really did try to fix his situation. A gf of his related to my industry tried to get him out to keg parties while he was clean and in the last minute he would back out, saying that he really shouldn't go. I know non celebs with this struggle as well, I don't think they deserve an award for staying clean, it is their own personal responsibility, but I think we are getting a little heavy. My opinion.

4. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Well said, I agree. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed many of his films as well. As an actor he wasn't Cagney, Pacino or Depp but then very few are. Hope his soul is at rest and sympathy to all that knew him.

5. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

FWIW, I started this thread to make fun of him.

6. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

This thread certainly took some turns I was not expecting when I clicked on it to read, that's for sure. All I can say is that I loved many of the guy's movies and was saddened to hear about his passing. I thought he might still get it together to have one more comeback in him, and I was definitely rooting for the man. I always liked him a LOT more than Feldman.

7. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I was joking Chomp. Nothin but love here, take 'er easy killer :glasses:

And you're right, I am in dire need of attention. So much so that I actually look like this :banana: most of the time.
    By that I mean I'm a dancing banana!!!!
    :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

RIP Corey!!!

:banana:[​IMG]:banana:

8. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how many "millions" he (or any celebrities) actually 'touched with his art'...I'm sure there are always going be those out there who will have some ultra-weepy (and ultimately embarrassing---for them--) story about how watching some specific Corey Haim film changed their life--the kind of story that you can almost hear angel-twinkle sound effects playing somewere in the background....I don't feel that way at all.

I do think that he made an ass of himself many times, I'm sure he would have admitted that in his clearer thinking days. I do feel that he was largely responsible for his outcome, whatever that could have turned out to be.

The thing I DO fell sorry about, and what sets him apart as a deeper tragedy is that he was one of those celebs that got knocks every turn of the way. When he fucked up he got trashed in the press (as anyone pulling drunky/druggie stunts should), but when he was trying to be normal, or had tried to pull things together, he got ridiculed for that too. He tried to pull it together and put himself out there again, and immediately sites reported hiow "pathetic" it was and how ridiculous it was to think he would be taken seriously etc. THAT is what makes me sad, because when someone already suffers from low esteem or has issues that have resulted in some kind of an addiction, they need encouragement when they are able to take the steps to try to pull themselves out of the muck--even if there's a strong chance they'd relapse, they still need something to give them the reason to continue on that path, not get shot down immediately...otherwise, why the fuck bother trying to get sober at all?

Anyway, I just read something that now seems to point to him having an enlarged heart and some sort of health complications, rather than being a straight overdose...I didn't quite understand whether certain meds he was prescribed might have contributed, but it appears it had more to do with his general health...If that's the case, there are a hell of a lot of public news sites that really need to eat their initial headlines, and should really be ashamed of broadcasting "OVERDOSE" the split second they got the news of his death.

Anyway...Enough from me on the subject---but I just felt I needed to clarify WHY I felt true sadness over this person I never met--I can relate, and I know what it's like to be kicked when you're down, and nothing you try to do to improve things makes any difference in how people treat you...

I think that he might not have been quite as shallow as his public image made him seem.

9. springjack

springjack New Member

When he was a kid, yes. As the years went by, Feldman proved to be the man...

As I always say, evereyday people are more happy than rich people.
    ________
    Honda Civic Gx

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The death of a celeb is no more worthy of respect than any other persons,true.It's also no less worthy of respect. I guess I'm just not comfortable with a heckler at a funeral,anyones.I'm not praying at the altar of the famous here,I'm just saying it creeps me out when people feel the need to post nasty stuff on sites like IMDB the day ANYBODY well know dies.It's just tactless.

11. j tea

j tea New Member

with all due respect, he was not a good actor and not an artist. let's not kid ourselves. lost boys was good teenage fun. art twernt. timmy capello carried that movie.

12. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I'm gonna have to concur here. Capello kinda stole the show on Lost Boys.

[​IMG]

13. j tea

j tea New Member

14. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

isn't he the lead singer of the 80's group "The Call"?

15. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

Haha no dude Tim Capello and Michael Been are different dudes.

Unless there's some amazingly obscure joke in there I'm totally missing in which case yes, Timmy C was the lead singer of The Call. :glasses:

16. Stige

Stige Active Member

RIP and he DID show talent in other films LUCAS

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

18. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You know, I hate to say it, but that picture is precisely how I'm going to remember Corey Haim in 50 years: as the guy who played the gay kid in The Lost Boys.

19. MacReady

MacReady New Member

I really liked him in Silver Bullet.

RIP

20. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I still believe! [​IMG] Corey Haim having a bubble bath was off the chain too.