Actually Return of the Living Dead Necropolis was pretty good.

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Mok, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

What the fuck you guys?

I read how everyone hated the fuck out of these newer ones. I can't speak to "Rave From The Grave" but Necropolis was at least on par with the other ones.

At best these ROTLD movies are movies you watch in the basement on a Saturday afternoon with your friends while eating potato chips and drinking pop. They're not epic survival horror films like Dawn of the Dead or 28 Days Later. They're teenage, comedic gore flicks and they're all pretty good in their own right. Necropolis is no exception.

You've got teenagers getting into trouble with zombies. Then the army gets involved and then you get treated to an awesome gore-fest.

I think you guys (ones who liked the other films and hated this one) have gotten jaded, grown up and can't appreciate fun horror movies anymore unless they are from the 80's or someone comes along and speaks directly to YOU and your generation like in a film such as Shawn of the Dead.

I think most of the people on this board, if they were being honest with themselves would have to admit they came down too hard on this film and maybe even a few others that have come out recently. Relax, give it a freaking chance before you roll your eyes at CGI blood (by the way, most if not ALL the gore in Necropolis was done the ol' fashioned way) or characters that dress and act like annoying brats and listen to lame Nu-Metal. 10 or 20 years from now that shit will be just as appealing as the trends from the 80's and 90's. Well, maybe not entirely, but you get what I mean ;)

2. I've alwys said its a decent zombie movie...but a TERRIBLE rotld movie. The whole "shots to the head kills 'em" just had me grimacing...the fun thing about rotld zombies was their invincibility...someone got the Romero zombies & the ROTLD zombies criss-crossed.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I enjoyed both parts 4 and 5. Take the ROTLD name and expectations away (although that franchise tag hardly demands respect) and I think most folks would have found these films to be quirky zombie comedies. Add the ROTLD name and suddenly you get a rash of hatred. I recorded both of these off of the scifi channel when they aired, and I bought the DVD of part 4 when it came out. Did part 5 ever get an official DVD release?

These films featured a child getting the back of his skull getting ripped out via zombie teeth. This type of shit needs to be on television more often, not bashed by horror fans. Sheeesh.

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I saw Rave to the Grave when it was televised and it was alright. After nearly 20 years I think it's a little too much to expect a direct sequel to the originals. To tell the truth I can't even consider Part 3 a direct sequel on account of what they did with Mindy Clarke's character, and how with exception to the occasional bout of cannibalism she somehow (unlike every other corpse) maintained her soul.

5. maybrick

Finally got around to seeing Necropolis last night and, Jesus Christ, Mok, are you out of your fucking mind? As far as zombie films go this was the biggest sack of shit I've seen in my entire life, even worse than KISS DADDY GOODBYE! It doesn't have anything going for it. Not a single damned thing. I settled in to see a bad movie, but it couldn't even meet my lowered expectations. Simply terrible!

6. Queen B

Queen B Guest

Lionsgate released Rave to the Grave shortly after Necropolis' release.

Is it just me, or was there some talk during production on these sequels about a possible ROTLD television series?

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I couldn't stand Necropolis. I rented it and didn't even bother dubbing it to try again later. I just never enjoyed it, and when it got near the end and a zombie picked up a gun and was acting like he was alive, forming conherent sentences and what-not, that just killed it completely for me. I had to fight myself to not get up and take the dvd out, forcing myself to finish it.
    I think they tried to take a great idea from the original, the talking zombie, and pushed it too far. They were too smart and it just went against all I've grown up with in zombie lore. Now a zombie coming up with "send more cops" is one thing, and it looked like they were struggling just to form short esy sentences. These zombies looked to be in Ivy League college if I recall correctly.

Rave to Grave I did enjoy. No brain zombies, no zombies shooting guns, just back to zombies being zombies.

8. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

You obviously haven't witnessed Redneck Zombies.

9. maybrick

...and Day of the Dead: Contagium.

...and Children of the Living Dead.

Obviously I jumped the gun upon my initial assessment, but still! Mok is absolutely NUTS if he thinks that Necropolis amounts to more than a steaming pile of excrement in the annals of zombie film lore.

I mean, CHRIST!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

It's got to be better than NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 30th anniversary cut, or NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 3-D.

But I guess that would be like having to choose between red shit and green shit for lunch.

11. maybrick

At least NOTLD 30th is still 9/10ths Romero and NOTLD 3D has Sid Haig. Necropolis has absolutely nothing going for it. If anybody can point out one thing about the film that is the slightest bit interesting and I'll gladly eat my words.

JUST ONE THING!

12. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

It was gory, the make up was great.

Honestly, I don't care much for either of the two films but out of the two I do prefer NECROPOLIS. RAVE TO THE GRAVE just had so many issues story wise and was so ridiculous it was nothing more than something to laugh at which on occasion I do enjoy but not when it's supposed to be serious.

A perfect example of this film's logic is this;

There's a rave.

Guy A: Ooh, a guy's eating that girl's brains!
    Guy B: Is she dead?
    Guy A: Shit yeah she is...
    Guy B: Let's keep dancing!
    Guy A: OKAY!
    *GUNSHOT*
    Guy B: Whoa! Some dude just blew that guy's head off!
    Guy A: Wow, let's keep dancing.
    Guy B: Dude, there are zombies everywhere, and they're going after people! That guy with the gun is back.
    Guy A: But dude, it's the rave, I mean the rave, let's just keep dancing.
    Guy B: Okay!

Seriously, I mean...I don't care how wasted you are, how drunk or hung up on drugs you are, if you're at a party and everyone around you is dropping dead - you run, maybe even leave! No one starts freaking out until half the crowd is wasted and even then, there's still people dancing! It takes a missile being fired into the crowd to really get people to think twice about staying.

By no sense of any kind of logic does that even begin to make...well, SENSE!

Oh and this one's a classic;

A zombie is slowly and I do mean SLOWLY going into to take a chunk out of this girl's boyfriend, he's screaming like Chris Crocker to shoot him, but because said zombie is related to her she understandably has trouble...but no fear, the zombie is taking his sweet ass time going in for the kill as the wanna be drag queen is screeching for her to shoot him. I mean literally, this scene feels like a good thirty seconds long, plenty of time to sink one's teeth into another's skull to ease the pain of being dead. It's almost like it was acted in slow motion so they wouldn't have to apply the effect of slow motion later on while in post production! Oh and once she does, not one drop of emotion or remorse is even conceived. Even after all is said and done...nothing.

Let's not forget the survivors of the fourth film not even knowing what a zombie is when half of their friends and relatives were nearly devoured by them. Yeah, yeah, I know, RAVE was supposed to be the 4th film and NECROPOLIS was supposed to be the 5th but they were switched during production which makes even less sense but then again, logic wasn't the strong suit on either one of these productions.

I can go on and on. Really, RAVE is just a mindless, unintentionally riot inducing, excuse of a film. With that said, it's not the worst film, hell even the worst zombie film, I've ever seen...but it is up there. NECROPOLIS although just as equally mindless and inept, at least had a few nods to the original and some great special effects. Everything else...eh...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  13. maybrick

I respectfully disagree. I think it was spectacularly unmemorable. It had to be. I don't remember there even being any gore!

14. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Did you see it on Sci Fi?

There was many heads being bitten into and tons of brain matter being pulled out...a head was squished, a body blown apart...I remember gore. It wasn't like overly gory, but it was there and it looked good...

15. maybrick

No, I rented the DVD. You're probably right about there being gore, but the movie was so unengaging I probably spaced out during those parts. And I can't say I'm sorry for that either. The movie was tedious and the only thing more obnoxious than the characters was the nu-metal soundtrack.

16. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Hey! Hey!

Godsmack was in that soundtrack.

Everything else, I agree with, but leave the 'Smack outta this!

Actually the DVDs in the US even though less cut than the TV versions are still heavily cut. Four is missing about 2 minutes, all gore, and 5 is missing...I wanna say 3-4 minutes, again all gore.

So I'm kinda basing my gore statement off of those versions since those are the ones I've seen...

But I do remember the rated version of four still featuring some decent gore shots so who knows?

17. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Chrismac,I got the feeling these flicks were cut-it seemed every time things started to pick up in a violent direction, it showed a glimpse of blood,then cut away as it started to pour or spurt.How do you know of missing grue?Do other versions exist with all of the trimmed goods?I did see some nice-looking "uncut" boots at Fleshwoundvideo...

And yes,for all intents and purposes,these kind of sucked..OK,pretty bad.I bought Necropolis based on the eye-catching cover art,having seen "Rave" via Netflix. The comic "relief" of the special agents was more horrific than any gut-munching or skull perforation seen in the hour+ running time,and as mentioned, graphic gore was less then plentiful.I love the first three original 'Deads, but really,House Of The Dead part 2(also of Sci-Fi channel origin,I believe) was more engaging (and bloody for that matter) than this.

Anyone have a favorite 'Dead hottie? Mindy Clarke is by far the hottest,with Marsha Dietlin (poor woman's Kerri Green) is semi-smokin' in a mid-80s,aerobicize kinda way.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  18. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

Well I heard they were cut on IMDb which didn't surprise me at the time because Lionsgate is often one to cut their direct-to-DVD releases.

So I found out basically everywhere else got the film uncut, including Canada and Japan so I ordered the Canadian boxed set which were non-anamorphic(!) then I tracked down the Japanese copies which were anamorphic and also had a few features. Nothing crazy just an EPK with music playing over a montage of scenes and trailers. But either way, I made two copies of those converted to region 1 since I no longer own a region 2 player and those have been the copies I've watched since.

There's no extra dialogue or story development, I almost choked on that one, just gore, blood, and guts put back in.

19. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Wow, very surprised to see that a thread with this title exists. I just had a ROTLD marathon and watched parts 4 & 5 for the first time. They were terrible! Both are easily on my list of worst films I've ever seen. Of the 2, Rave to the Grave was worse, but that doesn't make Necropolis good. The writing was terrible, the acting amateurish, and it was painfully low budget.
    A couple of things I found hilarious related to the low budget:
    -The giant facility where most of the time it seemed like Peter Coyote was the only person employed in the entire place besides the security guards. Then when the zombies broke loose suddenly there are dozens of victims running around. Guess they could only afford extras for a few hours on the set.
    -The large number of Romanians living in middle America in both films.

20. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I still haven't seen these. I remember they looked terrible in the TV spots that I did see. As much as I love the original, I've never cared for the sequels. I'm kind of surprised the original didn't get a reboot during the remake craze.